Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: Post collections  (Read 8283 times)

marpleexile

Re: Post collections
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 11:06:36 AM »
Royal mail are making approx 1.5 million pound profit per day. Not bad in a recession eh?
There are more than enough parcels for everyone, not 1 company would have the resources to deliver them all.
It is not up to royal mail to sell the sorting office, the only way it would be vacated is if the council pay for a brand spanking new facility and how likely is that?
The days of finishing at 11 are over because posties now do longs and shorts, some days not starting till 7 in the morning.

red666bear, I assume that you are a postie at Marple, or have a close family member who is a postie at Marple, from your posts on the subject, but I think you are allowing yourself to be a bit blinkered when discussing this. Your assertion that "the only way it would be vacated is if the council pay for a brand spanking new facility and how likely is that?" is clearly incorrect. Obviously given that they have a lease with a reasonable amount of time left to run, they wouldn't just walk away from the Marple Sorting Office, but there are many scenarios where it would make sense for the Post Office to vacate. Most of them involve the exchange of money and/or premises, and, unfortunately for you, some of them involve the Post Office deciding that they no longer need Marple, but it is far from impossible as you keep claiming it to be.

Where there's a will (and a big pot o' cash), there's a way.

That said, as we've covered in other threads on here, Chadwick Street is not an attractive site for retail development as it is poorly located, and has too many issues that would need to be overcome. But, if a major player such as Tesco, M&S, etc, etc, wanted to develop there, I'm sure an accommodation would be reached with the Post Office over them vacating Marple Sorting Office.

red666bear

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 07:00:01 PM »
Whats a lease to do  with it if the post decide to sell they will .no jobs for life now .post are losing money to competition and you know that .the days of finishing at eleven in a morning are over ....
Royal mail are making approx 1.5 million pound profit per day. Not bad in a recession eh?
There are more than enough parcels for everyone, not 1 company would have the resources to deliver them all.
It is not up to royal mail to sell the sorting office, the only way it would be vacated is if the council pay for a brand spanking new facility and how likely is that?
The days of finishing at 11 are over because posties now do longs and shorts, some days not starting till 7 in the morning.

amazon

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 08:27:42 PM »
But we have a 99 year lease on the site. Kirkland developments couldn't make the site financially viable to anyone. Do we think that Carillion will be any different?
Whats a lease to do  with it if the post decide to sell they will .no jobs for life now .post are losing money to competition and you know that .the days of finishing at eleven in a morning are over ....

red666bear

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 06:50:27 PM »
That's why the sorting office will be sold .
But we have a 99 year lease on the site. Kirkland developments couldn't make the site financially viable to anyone. Do we think that Carillion will be any different?

red666bear

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 06:47:54 PM »
I noticed this morning that stickers have appeared on the post boxes near us announcing that as of today (nice of them to give us so much warning), the last postal collection will be at 9 am, rather than 5.45 pm as at present. 

So from now on, if you post a 1st class letter on a Monday, it won't arrive until Wednesday.  So here we are in the 21st century, and we've now got a postal service that's worse than the one we had in the 19th.  Isn't privatisation wonderful........   ::)
Royal mail was only part privatised. The government sold 70% of its stake but still owns the remaining 30%.

amazon

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 01:29:48 PM »
The post box on market street will continue to be emptied at approx 6pm. Same with the box outside the post office on Stockport road. It is the smaller boxes being emptied earlier, not being used enough. Sign of the times.
That's why the sorting office will be sold .

Dave

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 07:39:45 AM »
It is the smaller boxes being emptied earlier, not being used enough.

Thew box I referred to is not a small one - it is the same size as the one outside Marple Post Office.  If it's 'not being used enough' (which I doubt), the way to get it used more is obviously to improve the service, not make it worse.  Even Thatcher stopped short of privatising the Royal Mail..................

red666bear

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 07:10:36 PM »
Asda was going no ware but there smack bang middle of Marple now .
 We now have a substandard post service if you want your post next day post before dawn .
Answer that one .
The post box on market street will continue to be emptied at approx 6pm. Same with the box outside the post office on Stockport road. It is the smaller boxes being emptied earlier, not being used enough. Sign of the times.

amazon

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 04:54:32 PM »
Royal mail have won back the Amazon contract. They have tried using other couriers but complaints are sky high (like their drones!) and they have realised that Royal mail are number 1.
The sorting office is going nowhere as I have been telling you for the last couple of years.
Asda was going no ware but there smack bang middle of Marple now .
 We now have a substandard post service if you want your post next day post before dawn .
Answer that one .

red666bear

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 04:44:37 PM »
When we moved to marple Bridge some forty years ago .they used to be a postman called Dave Wyat .he used to collect from post boxes as most of the post men did .allso had a post stamp .franked the letters and deliver them if they were on his round .those were the days .
Royal mail have won back the Amazon contract. They have tried using other couriers but complaints are sky high (like their drones!) and they have realised that Royal mail are number 1.
The sorting office is going nowhere as I have been telling you for the last couple of years.

amazon

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 09:00:02 PM »
This isn't restricted to Marple. It's a nationwide initiative.
When we moved to marple Bridge some forty years ago .they used to be a postman called Dave Wyat .he used to collect from post boxes as most of the post men did .allso had a post stamp .franked the letters and deliver them if they were on his round .those were the days .

Harry

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 06:01:23 PM »
This isn't restricted to Marple. It's a nationwide initiative.

amazon

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 03:31:48 PM »
I noticed this morning that stickers have appeared on the post boxes near us announcing that as of today (nice of them to give us so much warning), the last postal collection will be at 9 am, rather than 5.45 pm as at present. 

So from now on, if you post a 1st class letter on a Monday, it won't arrive until Wednesday.  So here we are in the 21st century, and we've now got a postal service that's worse than the one we had in the 19th.  Isn't privatisation wonderful........   ::)
Is that from the Maine post offices .like marple marple bridge .

amazon

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 02:36:16 PM »
This was announced a couple of weeks ago.

The plan is that rather than having a van going round collecting the post late afternoon, the postie will collect it while he/she is on the delivery round. For me this means that the collection time will be about 14:00, as that's the time my post is delivered.

I can see that this will save Royal Mail a little money. But it's at the expense of providing a service.

How long before we have deliveries and collections only every other day?
How long before Marple sorting office is sold..

Harry

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 10:24:09 AM »
This was announced a couple of weeks ago.

The plan is that rather than having a van going round collecting the post late afternoon, the postie will collect it while he/she is on the delivery round. For me this means that the collection time will be about 14:00, as that's the time my post is delivered.

I can see that this will save Royal Mail a little money. But it's at the expense of providing a service.

How long before we have deliveries and collections only every other day?