Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: Speed trap on hempshaw lane  (Read 9809 times)

amazon

Re: Speed trap on hempshaw lane
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 07:30:29 PM »
Thank you Howard*
Slow down you cyclists .

wheels

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 01:29:08 PM »
Thank you Howard*

wheels

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 01:26:06 PM »
What an exceptionally selective statistic, as if the pint of beer was a major indicator of life satisfaction. Take a look at the OECD index of Denmark (http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/countries/denmark/) and then add the UK as a comparison, lower on the page. Denmark outperforms the UK in almost every important index (education, employment, work-life balance, life satisfaction, community). If you want ot illustrate the benefits of a high-tax society you couldn't have picked a better one.

Thank you how. Point well made.

Duke Fame

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 01:13:54 PM »
Agreed.  That's why it's self-evidently a very good thing to keep taxation at the minimum possible level by raising as much revenue as possible from speeding drivers and other offenders. 

Speeding motorists are one thing, it's their own fault but setting up a sting where it is very difficult to drive efficiently AND keep below the limit is just not on.

As for the accident a couple of weeks ago, i can't belive that was down to speeding, it happened at a time where traffic does well to move at all.

Dave

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 09:40:33 AM »
I find the idea that no matter how hard or how well an individual works & earns, he should not be trusted to spend that money in a way that they feel suits themselves quite appalling.

Agreed.  That's why it's self-evidently a very good thing to keep taxation at the minimum possible level by raising as much revenue as possible from speeding drivers and other offenders. 

Duke Fame

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 08:36:41 AM »
What an exceptionally selective statistic, as if the pint of beer was a major indicator of life satisfaction. Take a look at the OECD index of Denmark (http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/countries/denmark/) and then add the UK as a comparison, lower on the page. Denmark outperforms the UK in almost every important index (education, employment, work-life balance, life satisfaction, community). If you want ot illustrate the benefits of a high-tax society you couldn't have picked a better one.

Yes, it was a strange example to choose, Denmark's satisfaction levels are legendary but the reasons for this satisfaction can be in spite of high taxation, not because of it.

I find the idea that no matter how hard or how well an individual works & earns, he should not be trusted to spend that money in a way that they feel suits themselves quite appalling.

Howard

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 07:45:17 AM »
could you expand on this theory please... The more you tax people, the cost of goods and services goes up, therefore attracting outsiders to your society becomes more challenging. Denmark is a classic example of your theory. (£12 for a pint of beer).

ROTHERS

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 07:38:53 AM »
OK well I think the exact opposite. Taxation in whatever form  is how we belong to the club of society. I would like to see a society where people are proud to be contributing ever more to society via taxation.

A civilised society needs high levels of taxation.

could you expand on this theory please... The more you tax people, the cost of goods and services goes up, therefore attracting outsiders to your society becomes more challenging. Denmark is a classic example of your theory. (£12 for a pint of beer).

wheels

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 11:41:05 PM »
OK well I think the exact opposite. Taxation in whatever form  is how we belong to the club of society. I would like to see a society where people are proud to be contributing ever more to society via taxation.

A civilised society needs high levels of taxation.

Duke Fame

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 09:44:17 PM »
It's the Treasury that grabs the money, thereby helping to keep the levels of taxation down.  This is surely  to be welcomed by we hard-working taxpayers. 

I disagree, I happen to think the treasury should allow the workers to keep as much money in their pockets.

corium

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 09:21:42 PM »
I suspect it may be related to an accident a couple of weeks ago just beyond there in which it was pretty obvious speed had played a part

Dave

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 03:19:32 PM »
It's the Treasury that grabs the money, thereby helping to keep the levels of taxation down.  This is surely  to be welcomed by we hard-working taxpayers. 

Duke Fame

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 02:54:10 PM »
Or drivers could just drop a gear, keep their momentum to climb the hill and stay within the speed limit.

And use more petrol?

It's just a warning to keep the speed down to 30, not really a comment on the money-grabbing nature of these traps.

Howard

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 11:51:00 AM »
There appears to be a speed trap set up heading towards Marple just after Pure Gym. It's just at the spot where drivers have to speed up in order to get up the hill.

Or drivers could just drop a gear, keep their momentum to climb the hill and stay within the speed limit.

Duke Fame

Speed trap on hempshaw lane
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 11:22:37 AM »
There appears to be a speed trap set up heading towards Marple just after Pure Gym. It's just at the spot where drivers have to speed up in order to get up the hill.