Self Catering Holiday Cottages in
Marple, Stockport & Cheshire

Author Topic: Energy efficiency salesmen...  (Read 2873 times)

hollins

Re: Energy efficiency salesmen...
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 04:15:24 PM »
As an energy-efficiency measure my experience is that, after making sure doors and windows are draught-proof, this is the single most cost-effective energy-saving measure there is. When we had it installed in our house we noticed immediately that the main rooms held on to their temperatures overnight once the heating had been switched off. (Obviously this is only relevant in winter!) Our annual gas bill was substantially more than the (heavily-subsidised) cost of installation, so I reckon this returned our investment within a couple of winters.

Since water vapour doesn't naturally seep through walls or windows there are only two places where it can potentially cause damp problems: if it occludes the small amount of draught under the roof eaves which keeps your loft dry or if it blocks the under-floor vents (the airbricks that you see at the base of your house). The firm that installed ours checked both and changed two air bricks. On the plus side, warmer interior walls probably means less mould.

I believe that the main energy suppliers are being obliged to offer subsidised energy-saving measures to consumers, and I personally feel that this was a relatively small amount of money very well spent. Obviously, you have to check the small print on prices and consider the company's reputation. Also, if you have a more modern house you probably won't need it as it would have been built in.

Lawler and Co

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 03:52:19 PM »
Be careful, we know a couple of people who explored this option only to be told prior to installation they were not eligible for the full grant and therefore would be charged for some of the works.

Also bear in mind under the consumer contract regs 2013 if you did sign anything in your home you should have a right to cancel within 14 days. 

amazon

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 03:57:01 PM »
...are doing a big push in Mellor/ Marple Bridge today.

Does anyone know much about this topic? Free wall insulation seems to be their selling point from a government scheme I've been told separately is actually for areas of social deprivation which this area isn't.

More importantly there have been a number of reports in the national press re increased damp problems when cavities are insulated.

Any one any knowledge of this topic?

Be Carefull with these people . They don't do all the house properly .three large house on lower fold just had it done .left the back of one .which was on a sloping roof . They did the newish kitchen extension that was done when built ..

corium

Energy efficiency salesmen...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 02:38:24 PM »
...are doing a big push in Mellor/ Marple Bridge today.

Does anyone know much about this topic? Free wall insulation seems to be their selling point from a government scheme I've been told separately is actually for areas of social deprivation which this area isn't.

More importantly there have been a number of reports in the national press re increased damp problems when cavities are insulated.

Any one any knowledge of this topic?