Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Real names v nicknames  (Read 4123 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: Real names v nicknames
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 01:58:32 AM »
In British Law you may call yourself whatever you please so long as you don't do so with the intent to deceive .

ringi

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 08:34:43 AM »
I use a nick name, this is not to stop anyone on the Marple Forum knowing who I am, it is to stop other people (e.g. possible employers etc) having an easy time tracking me across the internet with Google.

I may say something this year, that a HR person does not like in 5 years time, I have no control over how Google sorts the results when someone searches for my name, therefore only positive websites that are related on my line of work have my real name.

Howard

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 01:15:49 PM »
I've split this topic out from the local elections thread, just to keep things neat.

Howard (my real name  :) )

corium

Real names v nicknames
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 11:32:13 AM »
I think that's about right. Having a pseudonym allows a free exchange of views, and should be respected. For some, it's useful to use their real name as a way of self-promotion. We had Sheila Oliver on here who was really into promoting her blog and other activity - it suited her to get her name out there. For others, where they may be (say) a company director etc, if they state a view which is personal to them it could be interpreted as the view of that company or employer and that is not right.

For myself, I use the same pseudonyms in a variety of fora which tends to only be used by myself, unlike my name which in the past has caused significant confusion as there are several of us who at one time were all in the public eye & I have been confused with my namesakes on two occasions because our professional patch overlapped in places. It's also useful as I keep different IDs for differnt purposes e.g. on Twitter where on one account I'm me, in the another I'm fulfilling a specific professional role which my Twitter id spells out (though I was amazed I got it).

Duke Fame

Real names v nicknames
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 10:57:57 AM »
It's an interesting point here and I for one don't  think that it is about causing offence. I don't even think that it's about anonymity although that should be respected if that's what people want. It would be not too difficult to poke around various postings  and websites and guess at identifications. I know the real identities of at least two regular contributors on here but I would not dream of revealing them as I think that it would be totally disrespectful both to them and to this website.

I think for many people it isn't that they have anything to hide it is just that in assuming an internet persona it gives them a sense of intrigue.

That's my amateur psychology anyway.

There are of course posters that are prepared to use what are obviously not nom de plumes but are their real names a few that spring to mind are 'DUKE FAME,' MYSELF OF COURSE, and - "Chicken Lady."

I think that's about right. Having a pseudonym allows a free exchange of views, and should be respected. For some, it's useful to use their real name as a way of self-promotion. We had Sheila Oliver on here who was really into promoting her blog and other activity - it suited her to get her name out there. For others, where they may be (say) a company director etc, if they state a view which is personal to them it could be interpreted as the view of that company or employer and that is not right.

simonesaffron

Real names v nicknames
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 09:58:06 AM »
Although I'm not sure that I posted anything that could cause offence, and if people want to use nicknames, that's fine, but they need to ensure that they can't be identified if they have something to hide.

It's an interesting point here and I for one don't  think that it is about causing offence. I don't even think that it's about anonymity although that should be respected if that's what people want. It would be not too difficult to poke around various postings  and websites and guess at identifications. I know the real identities of at least two regular contributors on here but I would not dream of revealing them as I think that it would be totally disrespectful both to them and to this website.

I think for many people it isn't that they have anything to hide it is just that in assuming an internet persona it gives them a sense of intrigue.

That's my amateur psychology anyway.

There are of course posters that are prepared to use what are obviously not nom de plumes but are their real names a few that spring to mind are 'DUKE FAME,' MYSELF OF COURSE, and - "Chicken Lady."

Duke Fame

Real names v nicknames
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 10:33:15 PM »
Although I'm not sure that I posted anything that could cause offence, and if people want to use nicknames, that's fine, but they need to ensure that they can't be identified if they have something to hide.

I'm not sure wheels had anything to hide but i quite like the idea that that I'm ranting at Dave yet I could be unwittingly bumping into him every day.

Howard

Real names v nicknames
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 10:30:45 PM »

Don't worry chicken lady, there was no suggestion of any offence. Only a few of the longest standing members, who migrated over from an older forum, tend to use their real names (me, Dave, Lisa etc.) All I was pointing out was that it should be a member's own choice as to whether their real names are used or not. From information posted here I'm sure it would be very simple to find out quite a few real names.

chicken lady

Real names v nicknames
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 10:04:27 PM »

chicken lady

Real names v nicknames
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 09:56:19 PM »
Chicken lady's post removed. Thanks for your detective work, but I'm sure if people want to know this then they are perfectly able to use Google themselves. If people choose to use nicknames rather than their real names then that's their own choice.

Fair enough

Howard

Real names v nicknames
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 09:40:41 PM »
Chicken lady's post removed. Thanks for your detective work, but I'm sure if people want to know this then they are perfectly able to use Google themselves. If people choose to use nicknames rather than their real names then that's their own choice.

wheels

Real names v nicknames
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 10:42:43 PM »
Is wheels the husband of the leader of the council?

I wouldn't have said it otherwise

sgk

Real names v nicknames
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 10:41:05 PM »

chicken lady

Real names v nicknames
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 09:18:51 PM »
Is wheels the husband of the leader of the council?