Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: New Planning Application at former Church St Garage (Nr Bridge 2)  (Read 14238 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: New Planning Application at former Church St Garage (Nr Bridge 2)
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 02:31:59 PM »
You are forgetting the biggest negative of all! The property is immediately adjacent to to an old canal. Do you not remember that the canal wall almost opposite this site completely collapsed onto the towpath about five years ago due to seepage from the cul-de-sac above it. There are houses on Strines Road which are below the level of the canal which have had terrible problems with seepage from the canal and British Waterways make the excuse that the problem is springwater. The canal is old and is a decaying Victorian remnant. It may look very nice at the surface but in places it leaks. Best to keep new property well away. It only needs the slightest disturbance during construction of the new houses to cause the canal wall to fracture.
As we established in an earlier thread about the development on the old Park & Patt site, the developer will be long gone by the time any newcomers to the area get into those difficulties.

hollins

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 01:52:54 PM »
You are forgetting the biggest negative of all! The property is immediately adjacent to to an old canal. Do you not remember that the canal wall almost opposite this site completely collapsed onto the towpath about five years ago due to seepage from the cul-de-sac above it. There are houses on Strines Road which are below the level of the canal which have had terrible problems with seepage from the canal and British Waterways make the excuse that the problem is springwater. The canal is old and is a decaying Victorian remnant. It may look very nice at the surface but in places it leaks. Best to keep new property well away. It only needs the slightest disturbance during construction of the new houses to cause the canal wall to fracture.

I think you will find that much development is done right beside major rivers - I'm sure that the developers can cope with a very shallow canal. They might even be persuaded to strengthen the canal walls.

BTW this canal isn't Victorian (it's actually older).

marplerambler

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 01:02:46 PM »

Duke Fame

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 10:14:43 AM »
Definitely affordable housing but perhaps slightly better designed? The more I look at the photo the more it looks like a barracks and why those nasty artificial concrete-y looking building blocks - why not either red brick or stone to tone in with the area?

The stone cladding looks Ok and in keeping to me.

The only negatives are that they look a little plain but if they are being aimed at the 'affordable' market, I suppose costs need to be controlled.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 12:44:45 AM »
In terms of building on that land, what would you guys and gals like to see?
Definitely affordable housing but perhaps slightly better designed? The more I look at the photo the more it looks like a barracks and why those nasty artificial concrete-y looking building blocks - why not either red brick or stone to tone in with the area?

Mr Marple

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 09:53:49 PM »
In terms of building on that land, what would you guys and gals like to see?

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 01:26:02 AM »
It doesn't look too bad a proposal, does it? New Horizons don't appear to be losing their spot. It's about time this eyesore was sorted out (see link). This derelict building is just outside the new plan.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=swytj5gtvdgr&lvl=17&dir=90&eo=0&sty=x~lat~53.39212~lon~-2.061115~alt~210.087~z~30~h~113.4~p~-4.7~pid~5082&app=5082&FORM=LMLTCC

What does everyone else think?
Better something useful that a derelict site. The colour of the "brick" work could be a little more sympathetic. I stands out rather. If I was house hunting and had children I would not be looking at one of these due to the proximity of the canal. Anyone who has had toddlers will know how quickly they could be through the gate and into the canal before even the most diligent parent noticed.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 01:19:30 AM »
They are pretty small, though a bit bigger than they may appear - there is a second floor bedroom with velux windows on the south-east (canal) side. Hopefully they will be 'affordable' for people with young families? 
"Young families"? With garden gates which lead directly onto the canal? I don't think so.

Duke Fame

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 05:21:27 PM »
They are pretty small, though a bit bigger than they may appear - there is a second floor bedroom with velux windows on the south-east (canal) side. Hopefully they will be 'affordable' for people with young families? 

Certainly an improvement and pretty tasteful, if slightly bland. I think I'd like a larger dormer window overlooking the canal it I were buying one. Hopefully they will be aimed at the executive who has a bit of spare cash to spend in the area. 

Dave

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 04:57:07 PM »

amazon

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 03:18:01 PM »
I agree - it looks OK. 
Like you say looks ok 'just depends who the sort of people it's aiming for .

hollins

Dave

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 01:38:38 PM »
I agree - it looks OK. 

marveld

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 01:27:16 PM »
It doesn't look too bad a proposal, does it? New Horizons don't appear to be losing their spot. It's about time this eyesore was sorted out (see link). This derelict building is just outside the new plan.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=swytj5gtvdgr&lvl=17&dir=90&eo=0&sty=x~lat~53.39212~lon~-2.061115~alt~210.087~z~30~h~113.4~p~-4.7~pid~5082&app=5082&FORM=LMLTCC

What does everyone else think?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
New Planning Application at former Church St Garage (Nr Bridge 2)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 09:10:56 AM »
There's a new planning application in for the land next to the canal between Bridge 2 at the Ring o' Bells on Church Lane and New Horizons' base at Marple Wharf:

http://planning.stockport.gov.uk/PlanningData/AcolNetCGI.gov?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=120969

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website