Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA  (Read 238424 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #179 on: July 27, 2014, 11:28:12 PM »
ASDA is a retailer of low quality produce and traditionally does well in poor areas because it is cheaper than most other Supermarkets. The fact that it is moving here is yet another indicator that Marple is a town moving into rapid decline. For that you can thank Stockport Council and our local Liberal representatives for their experiments in social engineering. The Co-op was bad enough but I have absolutely no intention of using the ASDA store because I would not eat, or feed my family with, the low quality food it sells. I would urge any other Marple resident who feels the same to boycott this store and not patronise it even for non-food purchases.
I've only just seen this post but I have to agree about poor quality goods and that is one of the reasons why I won't be using ASDA but my main objection to Walmart is their attitude to and treatment of their staff. Having done some research into Walmart's activities, I'll be interested to see how long the promise to honour current terms and conditions of the Co-op staff will last. I'm aware that British workers have better employment protection than their counterparts in the USA but that doesn't seem to stop Walmart's underhand activities.

Interestingly, I've been told by a couple of Co-op staff that a lot of customers have said they won't be using ASDA. I'm in Glossop pretty regularly so I'll probably shop in the Co-op there or Sainsbury's at Stepping Hill for things I can't buy in Marple but I'll still buy my greengrocery, meat and deli stuff in the village. I'll miss the lovely staff in Marple Co-op, though.

amazon

« Reply #178 on: July 27, 2014, 03:12:39 PM »

amazon

« Reply #177 on: July 27, 2014, 11:50:33 AM »
There is a small (thankfully) and diminishing(also thankfully) group of people in Marple who still believe that Marple is an Edwardian, Cheshire village and not a suburban town of Greater Manchester. These people will seek to dictate on the quality of ASDA versus Waitrose etc, when we all know that there is quality in both. They will criticise the conduct of their neighbour and complain to anybody that will listen both officially and unofficially as long as it is behind their neighbour's back, what they won't actually do is go and speak to their neighbour's face about it.They will hold everybody responsible for the shortcomings in their lives (of which there will be many - they are only human after all) except themselves. They will blame council policies but they won't put up for the Council. They will lecture us on our grammar and our punctuation and they will leap upon misplaced apostrophes as if they are a symbol of class and status. They will look down on anybody that doesn't go to work in a suit or drops an 'aitch.'
Exellent posting .

That's why they are snooty.

simonesaffron

« Reply #176 on: July 27, 2014, 10:58:02 AM »
Sorry, I forgot to mention they will even tell lies about the park just to prove their point and in the process insult the members of the community who selflessly and tirelessly keep that park in superb condition. I walk through it on a regular basis, have done for years and I've never seen a Greggs bag in there. What I have seen regularly is members of the public picking up a stray piece of litter and putting it in the bin.

simonesaffron

« Reply #175 on: July 27, 2014, 10:24:18 AM »
There is a small (thankfully) and diminishing(also thankfully) group of people in Marple who still believe that Marple is an Edwardian, Cheshire village and not a suburban town of Greater Manchester. These people will seek to dictate on the quality of ASDA versus Waitrose etc, when we all know that there is quality in both. They will criticise the conduct of their neighbour and complain to anybody that will listen both officially and unofficially as long as it is behind their neighbour's back, what they won't actually do is go and speak to their neighbour's face about it.They will hold everybody responsible for the shortcomings in their lives (of which there will be many - they are only human after all) except themselves. They will blame council policies but they won't put up for the Council. They will lecture us on our grammar and our punctuation and they will leap upon misplaced apostrophes as if they are a symbol of class and status. They will look down on anybody that doesn't go to work in a suit or drops an 'aitch.'

That's why they are snooty. 

Dave

« Reply #174 on: July 27, 2014, 07:39:02 AM »
And gaz is a pedant too.   ;D   
Their.

Howard

« Reply #173 on: July 27, 2014, 07:29:05 AM »
Howard is no troll - but he is a pedant  :D ...........

Thanks, Dave. That's the nicest thing you've ever said about me  :)

gazwhite

« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2014, 03:11:30 PM »
Their.

amazon

« Reply #171 on: July 26, 2014, 11:51:02 AM »
The point is that you are wrong, you don't need to aspire to something better than Asda, tesco, waitrose, aldi for that matter. Marple has a shop that beats Asda in every dept so just shop in Archers, the fish man, the butchers, the ladies clothes shops, the greengrocers etc etc. 
At there prices .agree about archers .not the fish man nor the butchers Nields not bad sometimes .the
Rest maybe . If the shops are so good why do people go out of marple to shop a the big supermarkets .

Dave

« Reply #170 on: July 26, 2014, 07:26:51 AM »
I was rather more amused at the inference that Howard was a bigoted troll hiding behind his computer screen  ;D

Howard is no troll - but he is a pedant  :D ...........
he/she was implying I was a bigoted troll rather than inferring it.

Duke Fame

« Reply #169 on: July 26, 2014, 12:02:09 AM »
I didn't specify a time but the point is that the town has declined over the years and in my opinion having an Asda here isn't going to improve things. I do concede that I was a bit over the top in my comments about Memorial Park though. It isn't as bad as I made out so I retract that. Believe it or not I like Marple and most of the people I know who live here. The bad eggs are few but it worries me that some people seem pleased to be getting an Asda. Is it wrong or snooty to aspire to something better?

The point is that you are wrong, you don't need to aspire to something better than Asda, tesco, waitrose, aldi for that matter. Marple has a shop that beats Asda in every dept so just shop in Archers, the fish man, the butchers, the ladies clothes shops, the greengrocers etc etc. 

amazon

« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2014, 02:14:06 PM »
I didn't specify a time but the point is that the town has declined over the years and in my opinion having an Asda here isn't going to improve things. I do concede that I was a bit over the top in my comments about Memorial Park though. It isn't as bad as I made out so I retract that. Believe it or not I like Marple and most of the people I know who live here. The bad eggs are few but it worries me that some people seem pleased to be getting an Asda. Is it wrong or snooty to aspire to something better?

Roll on Asda .yes it's me Again .

Howard

« Reply #167 on: July 25, 2014, 01:28:09 PM »
I was rather more amused at the inference that Howard was a bigoted troll hiding behind his computer screen  ;D

I also found it amusing, although to be fair he/she was implying I was a bigoted troll rather than inferring it. Especially funny as Howard  is actually my name (who would choose that as a nickname, unlike say "MarpleRes"?) and that from looking though posts on the forum it would be extremely easy to find me playing in my band, as a volunteer coach at the rugby club or giving blood (although not in that order).

Rudolph Hucker

« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2014, 11:40:50 AM »
It makes a change finding a troll who actually owns up to it!  ;D

I was rather more amused at the inference that Howard was a bigoted troll hiding behind his computer screen  ;D

Dave

« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2014, 08:41:47 AM »
It makes a change finding a troll who actually owns up to it!  ;D

I just came back out of interest to see how much vitriol I had generated