RC Cars, RC Helicopters, RC Planes | Nitrotek Ltd

Author Topic: fame! I want to live in Marple...  (Read 27226 times)

JMC

Re: fame! I want to live in Marple...
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2011, 10:21:57 PM »
I am not sure if he ever lived in marple but I used to see George Costigan around alot (he was in the 'classic' Bob Sue and Rita too) and also a few people have seen the guy from Waterloo Road shopping in marple (Tom) but not sure if he lives here.

Miss Marple

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2011, 08:08:08 PM »
Hi Ray I can only tell you what we were told at school.  I have been racking my brains to remember the poem we were expected to recite at school IT was something about Judge Bradshaw with his decaying body hanging high with Oliver Cromwell and another chap who I have forgotten the name of.  I will ask my school friends if they remember and post it for all to read  :-\
Judge Bradshaw was indeed exhumed, displayed on the gallows at Tyburn for a day then beheaded in 1661 after the restoration of the monarchy in 1660, although there is some doubt that it really was Bradshaw's body.

"Another chap who I have forgotten the name of" was Henry Ireton, Cromwell's son-in-law.
  Yes that's the chap !!   Its all coming back to me now!  I also remember the poem also made reference to Charles 1 putting on extra clothing because it was an extremely cold day and he did not want his subjects to mistake his shivering for fear.   :o What a brave man ! My subjects may of thought it was raining  :o

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2011, 07:06:30 PM »
Hi Ray I can only tell you what we were told at school.  I have been racking my brains to remember the poem we were expected to recite at school   It was something about Judge Bradshaw with his decaying body hanging high with Oliver Cromwell and another chap who I have forgotten the name of.  I will ask my school friends if they remember and post it for all to read  :-\
Judge Bradshaw was indeed exhumed, displayed on the gallows at Tyburn for a day then beheaded in 1661 after the restoration of the monarchy in 1660, although there is some doubt that it really was Bradshaw's body.

"Another chap who I have forgotten the name of" was Henry Ireton, Cromwell's son-in-law.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2011, 06:56:02 PM »
I was born in Marple 72 years ago and never moved away so I class myself as a local. In the last few days I have asked many people older than me all locals and they have never known him to be called the hanging judge Ray.
There is some historical confusion here. The so-called "Hanging Judge" was Judge Jeffries, appointed by James II to preside over the "Bloody Assizes" dealing with the rebels and their supporters after the 1685 Monmouth rebellion.

Miss Marple

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2011, 06:39:33 PM »
Hi Ray I can only tell you what we were told at school.  I have been racking my brains to remember the poem we were expected to recite at school   It was something about Judge Bradshaw with his decaying body hanging high with Oliver Cromwell and another chap who I have forgotten the name of.  I will ask my school friends if they remember and post it for all to read  :-\

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2011, 10:40:55 AM »
I was born in Marple 72 years ago and never moved away so I class myself as a local. In the last few days I have asked many people older than me all locals and they have never known him to be called the hanging judge Ray.

Miss Marple

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2011, 11:00:35 PM »
No matter how you dress it up Judge Bradshaw was not known as the hanging judge. Ray
  He was dug up and hanged along with Cromwell etc .  Locals call him that because he was hanged not because he hung people !! Sorry I did not explain myself  :-\

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2011, 02:59:14 PM »
No matter how you dress it up Judge Bradshaw was not known as the hanging judge. Ray

Miss Marple

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2011, 08:18:13 PM »
I always understood it was Judge George Jeffreys who was known as the hanging judge. Ray

I haven't heard Bradshawe called the hanging judge before. Charles I was beheaded  :o
Yes then hung on a spiked railing for all to see  :o

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2011, 03:30:39 AM »
Judge Bradshaw (the hanging judge) who signed the death decree for King Charles the first  :o  Now you can not get much more famous than that  :-X
And his more recent relation, Christopher Isherwood (Writer - "Goodbye to Berlin", "Mr Norris Changes Trains", etc.,) was born at Wybersley (or Wyberslegh, if you prefer) Hall at High Lane. Ok, so not quite Marple but then neither is Mellor.

If you don't know his writing, you must have seen "Cabaret", with Liza Minelli and Joel Grey, which is based on his material.

myloweb

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2011, 07:03:59 PM »
Sorry Charles not Cromwell. I need to go Bak to skool me tinks

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2011, 05:06:17 PM »
I always understood it was Judge George Jeffreys who was known as the hanging judge. Ray

I haven't heard Bradshawe called the hanging judge before. Charles I was beheaded  :o
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2011, 02:56:46 PM »

Miss Marple

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2011, 10:06:34 PM »
Posh and Becks wanted to buy a house on Strines Rd but the neighbours complained maybe they had not got over
Happy Mondays renting  a house on Strines Rd to record some years earlier   :o

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2011, 08:40:54 PM »
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website