Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Swings, railings etc gone  (Read 20519 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: Swings, railings etc gone
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2014, 09:52:28 PM »
This article in last week's Stockport Times seems to give insight into why play equipment was removed. I sympathise with the injury to this woman's child (I say that as a parent) but I wonder if she sees the irony in her actions; raising money for more play equipment on one hand, but then suing the council on the others depleting already depleted resources. I also wonder if she has considered the effect of her actions on some of the more deprived areas of Stockport, where play equipment provides a vital source of activity and leisure in places where there is little already.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/mum-sue-council-after-little-7750517
While I agree that the council have a responsibility to maintain the equipment properly, it's sad that this mother's first thought is "Who can I sue?" rather than "Why didn't I look after my child better?".

Whatever possessed her to allow a five year old to climb up on to a 6'6" high slide?

wadsterboy

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2014, 08:05:33 AM »
This article in last week's Stockport Times seems to give insight into why play equipment was removed. I sympathise with the injury to this woman's child (I say that as a parent) but I wonder if she sees the irony in her actions; raising money for more play equipment on one hand, but then suing the council on the others depleting already depleted resources. I also wonder if she has considered the effect of her actions on some of the more deprived areas of Stockport, where play equipment provides a vital source of activity and leisure in places where there is little already.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/mum-sue-council-after-little-7750517

Dave

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2014, 09:24:00 AM »
If the money's not available what do you do .

It's all down to priorities.  If the council really wanted to find the money to make the swings safe they would do so.  Don't forget, they have had sixteen years to find the money to install the required 'impact attenuating surfacing', and they have just not bothered. See
Here's an official reply from the Council:

Play equipment requires compliant impact attenuating surfacing (IAS) following the EN standard (BSEN1176 / BSEN1177), which came into force on 1st January 1998. The play equipment that has been removed was not compliant with the current standards however for many years the risk rating was such that the equipment was left in situ.

The Council has now received legal advice in relation to the risks in having play equipment that is not compliant surfacing.  It has been stated that the Council either needs to replace or remove this equipment.

amazon

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2014, 09:27:41 PM »
Balls for what? So that they can tough it out when kids fall of swings and allow no win no fee lawyers to drag the Council through the courts, costing the Council tax payer thousands defending a lost cause.

New Councillors? Why don't you stand? Perhaps you've not got the balls!   

Now were on to balls would anyone like to sponsor one Compstall cricket club .  ;)

simonesaffron

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2014, 08:21:53 PM »
Council probably scared of being sued if some kid falls off a swing, so easier to simply remove them. We need some new councillors with balls! (but please please please not the Ed' variety)

Balls for what? So that they can tough it out when kids fall of swings and allow no win no fee lawyers to drag the Council through the courts, costing the Council tax payer thousands defending a lost cause.

New Councillors? Why don't you stand? Perhaps you've not got the balls!   

amazon

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2014, 07:38:41 PM »
Council probably scared of being sued if some kid falls off a swing, so easier to simply remove them. We need some new councillors with balls! (but please please please not the Ed' variety)
If the money's not available what do you do .

jimblob

« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2014, 07:07:07 PM »

Dave

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2014, 03:45:07 PM »
Presumably the same reason that the council gave for removing the equipment from the rec:
Here's an official reply from the Council:

"Thank you for your enquiry relating to the removal of play equipment.

Play equipment requires compliant impact attenuating surfacing (IAS) following the EN standard (BSEN1176 / BSEN1177), which came into force on 1st January 1998. The play equipment that has been removed was not compliant with the current standards however for many years the risk rating was such that the equipment was left in situ.

The Council has now received legal advice in relation to the risks in having play equipment that is not compliant surfacing.  It has been stated that the Council either needs to replace or remove this equipment.

This is something that the Council must now do. At sites where there is funding available play equipment will be re-supplied. At sites where there is no money available then the removal of the equipment and the surfacing does not hinder any future work to re-supply when and if money becomes available.

There was no consultation simply because there was only one possible outcome at this time, the equipment had to be removed.

However the Council will continue to work with any interested groups to secure funding for a new facility."

Mr Marple

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2014, 03:17:29 PM »
Not only has the Rec been stripped of swings etc but also Windlehurst park on Windlehurst Rd and the park on Brinkburn Rd.

All apparatus taken away within the same time period but for what reason?

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2014, 06:16:26 PM »
As some of you may (by the sounds of things) have heard.
Up here on Windlehurst Road we are trying to form a support group for the park.

Within 24 hrs we set up a website, a Facebook Group and a Twitter account.
We have also started leaflet distribution and all shops in High Lane have window stickers in place.

As you will be aware, keeping momentum up is hard but we will try.

If anybody wants to 'get involved' with the Windlehurst Road group please let us know. We are looking for permanent Chair, Sec, Tres etc as we are now 'recognised' by the Council.

Anyway, think we all need to keep talking about these park issues regarding Arkwright, Compstall etc and share thoughts and ideas.

Our Website is http://www.windlehurstpark.co.uk/ (link corrected - Howard)

Please join the Facebook group at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/684288424963742/

Our Twitter is: @WindlehurstPark or https://twitter.com/WindlehurstPark

And Our online petition (which we would like you to sign) is: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/windlehurst-park-equipment-replacement

Many Thanks

Jamie

Email: park@windlehurstpark.co.uk

Have signed your petition. As far as Marple Recc is concerned flogging a dead horse comes to mind.

Windlehurst Park

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2014, 01:07:26 PM »
As some of you may (by the sounds of things) have heard.
Up here on Windlehurst Road we are trying to form a support group for the park.

Within 24 hrs we set up a website, a Facebook Group and a Twitter account.
We have also started leaflet distribution and all shops in High Lane have window stickers in place.

As you will be aware, keeping momentum up is hard but we will try.

If anybody wants to 'get involved' with the Windlehurst Road group please let us know. We are looking for permanent Chair, Sec, Tres etc as we are now 'recognised' by the Council.

Anyway, think we all need to keep talking about these park issues regarding Arkwright, Compstall etc and share thoughts and ideas.

Our Website is http://www.windlehurstpark.co.uk/ (link corrected - Howard)

Please join the Facebook group at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/684288424963742/

Our Twitter is: @WindlehurstPark or https://twitter.com/WindlehurstPark

And Our online petition (which we would like you to sign) is: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/windlehurst-park-equipment-replacement

Many Thanks

Jamie

Email: park@windlehurstpark.co.uk

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2014, 09:38:42 PM »
Looks like Windlehurst Park is another to have suffered removal of equipment for the same reasons as Marple Recreation Ground.

Local residents have reacted by setting up a new Friends Group, see here: www.windlehurstpark.co.uk

This is what is needed for Marple Rec too if there is any chance of getting new play equipment.

Good luck to the new Friends of Windlehurst Park!

I understand that 9 parks across Stockport have suffered a similar fate.
<<This is what is needed for Marple Rec too if there is any chance of getting new play equipment.>>

Well, come on you lot. No point in whingeing on here if you aren't prepared to roll up your sleeves and get involved. And yes, I have volunteered a few posts back. Not much use in the heavy lifting department but I've served on organising committees and rallied the troops in a number of ventures so I know the score. I'm prepared to be the secretary if we can whip up a committee.

Any offers? We could have a meeting in that nice little room in The Hatters.

There would seem to be two issues here. The playground equipment is one and the loos are the other. Without them the picnic area is doomed to non-use by families.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2014, 06:16:12 PM »
Looks like Windlehurst Park is another to have suffered removal of equipment for the same reasons as Marple Recreation Ground.

Local residents have reacted by setting up a new Friends Group, see here: www.windlehurstpark.co.uk

This is what is needed for Marple Rec too if there is any chance of getting new play equipment.

Good luck to the new Friends of Windlehurst Park!

I understand that 9 parks across Stockport have suffered a similar fate.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

ringi

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2014, 02:49:41 PM »
Did the risk assessment include the risk of the children being unfit due to not having the play equipment?

It is include the risk of them climbing on the roof of buildings as they have nowhere else to climb?

Rudolph Hucker

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2014, 10:47:32 AM »
Hey Duke, can we not speculate regarding a child's fatality when we are not in the possession of all the facts please. A touch insensitive (although I know you would not intend to be).

Ta.

RH.