A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: Traffic problems  (Read 7355 times)

Harry

Re: Traffic problems
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 12:48:34 PM »
If this report had been last week I'd have just presumed it was an April fool's joke.

Evidently the A6 may become even busier because of proposed housing developments in Derbyshire and Cheshire East. A report, ordered by SMBC, has recommended that in order to reduce congestion on the A6 in Hazel Grove, the A6 should be narrowed. This would have the effect of driving the traffic off the A6 onto either Jacksons Lane to the South, or onto Marple Road in the North.

See story at http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/a6-congestion-stockport-council-bosses-6939118

So as well as extra traffic, generated by developments elsewhere, coming from the New Mills direction, and possibly more traffic from housing built on Hibbert Lane, someone is also suggesting we should take traffic off the A6.

marplerambler

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 10:28:35 PM »
On Friday I was traveling down the A6 from High Lane to Hazel Grove and spotted drilling/extraction of core samples  taking place in the field adjacent to the bend in the road by the old meat factory. The countdown to the construction of the link from the airport to Hazel Grove has started. Heaven help us in Marple when there are restrictions and temporary lights on the A6 and people attempt to divert via Marple. The queues at Dan Bank are already lengthy in the morning and evening rush periods. I hope the result is not total gridlock for Marple!

wheels

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 10:25:16 PM »
Thank goodness for wheels, who as ever brings his dazzling intellectual insight to bear on this difficult issue: 

TY Dave good to see your learning

amazon

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 08:54:08 PM »

Dave

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 09:16:47 AM »
Thank goodness for wheels, who as ever brings his dazzling intellectual insight to bear on this difficult issue: 
Well its all self inflicted, don't you the drive bear any responsibility for the traffic problems you outline Dave.

Belly

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 11:35:29 PM »
Can you imagine the traffic jams at the little roundabout at the junction Of Church Lane, would they still propose a roundabout at the junction of Edwards Way/Hibbert Lane as was shown on the Asda proposal?

No I can't.

There is never more than the slightest of delays at this junction (I use it every day during the peak hours) and an extra 100 or so cars an hour (or of the order of an extra 2 a minute maximum) is not going to have a particularly huge effect.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 10:43:21 PM »
Assuming that is true, then why didn't the workmen pack up the temporary lights until the replacement machinery arrived? Workmen/councils/utility companies don't do anything to help themselves and their public perception.
Exactly!

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 10:42:12 PM »
Dear Henrietta .the works at Windsor castle yesterday was the continuation of the work the week before anti skid surfacing .the reason nothing was being done was the machine or lorry with the machine on was defective .in other words not working .they were waiting for another lorry to complete the work .so you see it's not what you say .you really must get the story right ....

Thank you
So? They were still sitting there doing nothing and laughing at the chaos rather than giving an explanation of the situation and either apologising or trying to achieve some sort of solution to the delay.

And while we're being patronising, you really must get the punctuation right....

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 10:27:53 PM »
Can you imagine the traffic jams at the little roundabout at the junction Of Church Lane, would they still propose a roundabout at the junction of Edwards Way/Hibbert Lane as was shown on the Asda proposal?
There have been a few mid-week days recently when it's been quite bad there as well.

I suppose all this digging up of roads is due to it being close to the end of the financial year and the highways dept is in "use it or lose it " mode

marpleexile

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 09:03:28 PM »
Dear Henrietta .the works at Windsor castle yesterday was the continuation of the work the week before anti skid surfacing .the reason nothing was being done was the machine or lorry with the machine on was defective .in other words not working .they were waiting for another lorry to complete the work .so you see it's not what you say .you really must get the story right ....

Assuming that is true, then why didn't the workmen pack up the temporary lights until the replacement machinery arrived? Workmen/councils/utility companies don't do anything to help themselves and their public perception.

wheels

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 04:27:14 PM »
And then there's all the extra traffic which will be heading for the newly-extended car park at Rose Hill, when Metrolink eventually gets there! ::)

Well its all self inflicted, don't you the drive bear any responsibility for the traffic problems you outline Dave.

Barbara

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 02:21:09 PM »
Dave says:

And then there's all the extra traffic which will be heading for the newly-extended car park at Rose Hill, when Metrolink eventually gets there!

Well Dave, I am not holding my breath for that to happen - when we moved here in the 1970s the Metrolink system was supposed to be coming out to Marple then.  Instead of which we just have some of the oldest and rattiest trains on the whole railway system!

amazon

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 02:08:19 PM »
I had a horrendous journey to Charlesworth  yesterday (Sunday). It took me 15 minutes to get out of Cross Lane onto Stockport Road in the morning and would probably still be there if someone hadn't taken pity on me and let me out. The queue, which stretched back nearly to Rose Hill was caused by the traffic lights at the Windsor Castle!!

When we got to the "road works" at the Windsor Castle there was no evidence of anything being done but there was a truck with two "work"men sitting in it, and laughing at the chaos. At double time for Sunday too, probably. All in all it took me nearly an hour and a half to travel the 6 miles from home to Charlesworth!!!

Thank you .

Dave

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 11:15:40 AM »
And then there's all the extra traffic which will be heading for the newly-extended car park at Rose Hill, when Metrolink eventually gets there! ::)

the rover

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 10:44:57 AM »
Getting past the Seventeen Windows roadworks on Saturday was somewhat tiresome as well. At least there were workmen on site and seemingly active.

Can't wait until there are 200 homes build on Hibbert Lane - that'll help the jams somewhat ;-)

RH.