Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: The Hermitage  (Read 7212 times)

mankyrat

Re: The Hermitage
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 02:40:15 AM »
Hi All I'm very interested in any information pictures or memories of Springwood Hall and The Hermitage for a project I'm working on with SMBC Museum and Heritage Dept any information please PM me thank you

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 06:32:39 AM »
Water Rat I need your help on a conservation level with SMBC Museum how can we make contact ?
You can use the PM (Personal Message) system on the board to send Water Rat a message - this will be sent on to his registered email address.

Just click the little speech bubble below his name
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

mankyrat

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 01:58:03 AM »
Water Rat I need your help on a conservation level with SMBC Museum how can we make contact ?

Howard

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 09:40:02 PM »
Can you tell me please how I use the map . And where's the cricket ground ?

I don't know if you can use it on an iPad. You need to click and drag with a mouse to move it around.

The cricket ground is shown as being on the same side of Stockport Road as Rose Hill Station but a little further down towards Stockport. Almost opposite where Rose Hill Post Office and Rajas is now.

amazon

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 09:35:14 PM »
I have also had a good play with the maps. It's really very interesting. I had no idea that there was a Cricket Ground just to the west of The Railway. It's reassuring to find my house on there though!

Can you tell me please how I use the map . And where's the cricket ground ?

Howard

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 06:21:23 PM »
I have also had a good play with the maps. It's really very interesting. I had no idea that there was a Cricket Ground just to the west of The Railway. It's reassuring to find my house on there though!

Deniseam

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 05:26:30 PM »
Love that link.  Spent a happy hour just comparing the maps.  Fascinating!

Water Rat

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 09:44:40 PM »
If you use the e-mapping Victorian Cheshire website - look at the 1910 OS Map (For clarity).  Use map grid ref SJ 958 909 for Compstall.  You will see Compstall Hall has its old name of Greenhill Hall.  The Hermitage is to the left.  The website also allows you to compare to modern maps and aerial photos.  I clearly remember the ruins when young and the remains of Springwood Hall with the foundations and greenhouses still partly visible.

I have put in the link for you to copy and paste.

http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/LargeMap.aspx?srch=&singleplot=&hlt=&hlp=&e=395932.66&n=390820.91&scale=1.27&tabL=L3&tabR=R1

Water Rat

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 04:41:57 PM »
It was West of Compstall Hall - a little below the ridgeline footpath that runs from halfway up Compstall Brow to Springwood Lane/Hermitage Avenue.  I will post a map ref and extract from an old map later.  But many, many thanks.

sgk

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 09:49:37 AM »
In case of interest, another pic of it here, with some location info. 

Have a photo of Springwood House and The Hermitage. The Hermitage was a lovely house which it is believed was demolished while the owners were away, and Springwood Hall / House was demolished some time ago in about 1950s. The ruins/ foundations are still there beneath the undergrowth..

Source: facebook.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 11:14:48 PM »
Wow what a place that must have been! Thank you rosehill5 for sharing.

So where was this exactly?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Water Rat

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 12:39:13 PM »
Fantastic if it could be shared on the web site

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 09:43:20 PM »
If you email him he will tell you what to do ....

Please scan at 300pdi or higher and send to mark@marple-uk.com, or attach it to a post here.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 09:10:26 PM »
I have a postcard of The Hermitage posted in 1904.  I can scan it and email or copy it and post it
Could you not send to admin then it could be included in the virtual tour section .so we can all see . If you email him he will tell you what to do ....

rosehill5

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 08:57:34 PM »
I have a postcard of The Hermitage posted in 1904.  I can scan it and email or copy it and post it