A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: Re: Cycling on the train  (Read 4611 times)

Barbara

Re: Cycling on the train
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 05:51:31 PM »
Shortly after we moved here in the dim and distant past (1974) the plans were announced for the new Metro System.  At that time the plans were for the trams to come out to Marple (I think to Rose Hill, but I might be wrong there).  We are still waiting - don't hold your breath folks!

Dave

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 09:20:35 AM »
the metro link will be here soon

It's a few years away, I fear  :'(

bluebelly

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 07:48:02 AM »
the metro link will be here soon but they dont allow bikes...

ringi

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 11:21:22 PM »
When I lived in Cambridge I cycled most places, however normal bikes were correctly not allowed on the train in rush hour.    There is no way that it can be justified to take up the space of 4 seats with 1 bike.

Bromptons where created for a reason….

Also lots of people owned 2 bikes and kept a bike at each end of the commute.

alstan

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 02:02:20 PM »
Scandinavian and Dutch cities no doubt have a far better approach, mind !

Not too sure about that.
In Sweden bicycles are allowed on a few local services but are otherwise banned from all trains.
In Norway bicycles are allowed on most, but not all trains. On some trains a space needs to be booked well in advance.
Bicycles are carried on most trains in Finland, often in special compartments for which a ticket has to be purchased in advance. In the metropolitan area bicycles are not permitted on trains between 07.00 to 09.00 and 15.00 to 18.00
In Netherlands bikes can be carried free on standard service trains during July and August. During the other ten months they can be carried upon purchase of a €6 ticket except during rush hours when they are banned. Bicycles are banned completely on some high speed services. Where they are allowed they have to be dismantled and packed in a cover. Reservation may be necessary and there may be a charge.

sgk

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 04:14:46 PM »
So about 10 people a day can use there cycle with train to get to work assuming about 5 rush hour trains. I don't think that's reasonable at all and certainly not in line with any other major European city.. Nor is it doing anything to get people out of their cars.

Be grateful you don't live in a major European city like London, where at least one rail company just bans bicycles during peak hours.
http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/your-journey/bicycle-policy/
Cycles are not permitted on peak time services arriving in London from Monday to Friday between 07.00 and 09.59, and leaving London between 16.00 and 18.59.

Or if you're in a major European city like Paris, you've got to take your bike apart and carry it in a bag.  Although they do throw in a few trains with a bicycle rack now and then.
http://www.sncf.com/en/services/luggage-bicycles-pets
Remove wheels, put them and the frame in a carrying bag, and simply bring the bag onto any train as hand luggage.

Or if you're in a major European city like Munich, you'll pay for the privilege of taking a bicycle onboard (between 2.5 and 4.5 euros).  And certainly not allowed during peak hours.  Disrupts the old teutonic efficiency and all that.
http://www.muenchen.de/int/en/traffic/biking/taking-your-bike.html
During the rush hour from Monday to Friday from 6am to 9am and 4pm to 6pm bikes are not permitted on the S-Bahn and underground either.

Scandinavian and Dutch cities no doubt have a far better approach, mind !

wheels

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 12:13:55 PM »
Northern's rule is 2 cycles per train.  Which seems quite reasonable.  Any more and the cycles will seriously reduce the space available for other passengers.

http://www.northernrail.org/travel/cycling/bikes-on-trains
We can only carry a maximum of two bikes per train but conductors have responsibility for the safety of their train and have the right to refuse entry if the train is busy.

So about 10 people a day can use there cycle with train to get to work assuming about 5 rush hour trains. I don't think that's reasonable at all and certainly not in line with any other major European city.. Nor is it doing anything to get people out of their cars.

Dave

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 11:16:59 AM »
This is an issue for you to take up with the train companies to get them to provide sufficient cycle space as in every other European country Dave.

I agree, wheels - but dream on! 

sgk

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 11:06:22 AM »
This is an issue for you to take up with the train companies to get them to provide sufficient cycle space as in every other European country Dave. Its not a complaint to to levied at other train users who are legitimately using the train as part of  their cycle journey to work.

Northern's rule is 2 cycles per train.  Which seems quite reasonable.  Any more and the cycles will seriously reduce the space available for other passengers.

http://www.northernrail.org/travel/cycling/bikes-on-trains
We can only carry a maximum of two bikes per train but conductors have responsibility for the safety of their train and have the right to refuse entry if the train is busy.

wheels

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 11:02:51 AM »
....but please not in the rush hour - it's very antisocial.  Anyone who has stood in a jam-packed Class 142 to Piccadilly with pedals and handlebars sticking into their thighs and ribs will know what I mean.   :o
This is an issue for you to take up with the train companies to get them to provide sufficient cycle space as in every other European country Dave. Its not a complaint to to levied at other train users who are legitimately using the train as part of  their cycle journey to work.

Dave

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 10:54:59 AM »
Put your bike on the train

....but please not in the rush hour - it's very antisocial.  Anyone who has stood in a jam-packed Class 142 to Piccadilly with pedals and handlebars sticking into their thighs and ribs will know what I mean.   :o