RC Cars, RC Helicopters, RC Planes | Nitrotek Ltd

Author Topic: Re: Oldknow's Seat  (Read 4625 times)

Dave

Re: Oldknow's Seat
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 04:57:24 PM »
OK.  If I find it I'll send you a photograph. 

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 02:17:11 PM »
Thanks Mark - the dog and I will go looking for it some time soon!

It might be hard to find. These images are from 2002 - can't believe it's that long since I was up there!

One of the sides was still upright in 2002 but the rest was covered in undergrowth.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 01:50:07 PM »
Thanks Mark - the dog and I will go looking for it some time soon!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 12:46:20 PM »
Some great images there.  Re Oldknow's Seat., I've always wondered where it is, and indeed, whether it still exists.  Does anyone know? 
Yes, it is still there but it is broken. It's just over the wall / fence of the golf club and can be accessed via Linnet Clough Scout camp (although I don't believe there is any right of way). The seat is repairable and I've mentioned a number of times to Mellor Archaelogical Trust that they should include its repair and reinstatement as part of their Oldknow's Legacy Project. I'm not sure if they did or will but it would be a great shame if not.

To see what Oldknow used to see when he sat there would need some treework done but not a huge amount. I have some photos somewhere - I will see if I can find them.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 11:02:03 AM »
Some great images there.  Re Oldknow's Seat., I've always wondered where it is, and indeed, whether it still exists.  Does anyone know?