Janine Kelly - Yoga teacher in Marple

Author Topic: The George, Compstall  (Read 8490 times)

Dave

Re: The George, Compstall
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 10:09:17 AM »
It would be very sad to lose the George.  The Spring Gardens has gone, so has the Lane Ends, and further along Glossop Road there's the pub which used to be where the Jodphur Lounge is now, and the Hunters at Chisworth has closed too.  There is now no pub between the Travellers Call and Charlesworth.

Elsewhere in the area, some other pubs seem to be eerily quiet, whilst others are thriving.  I don't want to name names, but it's pretty obvious which pubs are doing well and which aren't.

It's sad.  Pubs are a great English tradition (and I mean English, not British), and once they have gone we will not get them back.  They are part of local communities, like shops, and as with shops, without them we will just retreat even more behind our front doors and our computer screens.  :(

amazon

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 09:56:02 PM »
Is it cheap?  :P few places in Marple to regularly make noise.

Keep away from lower fold  ;D.

amazon

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 09:54:30 PM »
Anyone heard anything about The George closing? My band usually rehearses in the downstairs function room but we've been told that it is "closed for the foreseeable future". I've just driven past it (Saturday night) and it's completely dark.

Windsor castle staying open for now .Joan. Negotiating with Robinsons about a refuel .

Belly

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 09:11:58 PM »
oh no.. that's a shame  :(

However..  let me know if you need good rehearsal space..  ;)

Is it cheap?  :P few places in Marple to regularly make noise.

Tricky

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 08:25:40 PM »
oh no.. that's a shame  :(

However..  let me know if you need good rehearsal space..  ;)
meh

Howard

The George, Compstall
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 07:44:57 PM »
Anyone heard anything about The George closing? My band usually rehearses in the downstairs function room but we've been told that it is "closed for the foreseeable future". I've just driven past it (Saturday night) and it's completely dark.