Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Coop marple  (Read 18658 times)

Dave

Re: Coop marple
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2013, 01:03:28 PM »
New signs going up at the Co-op today - two hours free parking, and after that it will cost - I think the signs said £60.   Very good news, and just in time before the last-minute Christmas food shopping gets under way.   :)

Bluezorro

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2013, 06:28:13 PM »
Rsh brought up kirkland amazon.

Bluezorro

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2013, 06:25:11 PM »
The defunct link was the big showcase for chadwick st by kirklands last year.

It has now vanished.

amazon

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2013, 03:06:44 PM »
Bluezorro - could you clarify this. I couldn't make the web link that you posted at 10.02 work (and I wasn't aware that Kirkland Developments had a website).

What's Kirkland developments got to do with the coop.

u360213

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2013, 02:34:47 PM »
For many years now the co-op has let down the people of Marple. It has completely under-achieved in terms of service/potential for a retailer.

It has a revenue base of  £13m per annum yet it consistently offers us; inflated prices, lack of variety, narrow sell by dates (I don't understand how it does this this one) and a customer interface that is at best spasmodic.

As an organisation it has now completely abdicated any responsibilities that it felt it had to the people of Marple. IMHO, it is now completely tired and long beyond its own BBD.

Any of the other major retailers would undoubtedly provide a better service and I personally would prefer most/any of them to be where the co-op is standing now  

Sadly this is true.
The veg. in particular is being belief and almost always goes off within a day or so.
Lesson learned, always make 5 mins extra for a trip to the greengrocers, miles fresher and a fraction of the price.

Post modded for readability. Please note that you can't add comments in the middle of a quote and make it readable unless you mess with the "quote" tags. Howard

hollins

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2013, 09:26:38 AM »
Regarding chadwick st, please refer to my earlier post from 10:02

Bluezorro - could you clarify this. I couldn't make the web link that you posted at 10.02 work (and I wasn't aware that Kirkland Developments had a website).

simonesaffron

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2013, 07:53:37 AM »
For many years now the co-op has let down the people of Marple. It has completely under-achieved in terms of service/potential for a retailer.

It has a revenue base of  £13m per annum yet it consistently offers us; inflated prices, lack of variety, narrow sell by dates (I don't understand how it does this this one) and a customer interface that is at best spasmodic.

As an organisation it has now completely abdicated any responsibilities that it felt it had to the people of Marple. IMHO, it is now completely tired and long beyond its own BBD.

Any of the other major retailers would undoubtedly provide a better service and I personally would prefer most/any of them to be where the co-op is standing now   

Bluezorro

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2013, 11:02:03 PM »
How could everybody boycotting the coop be a defence???

no, they might drop their prices!

In theory, it would never actually happen.

They need to be shown that they cant charge what they like for things.

"convenience isn't always as important as price these days and more people are willing to shop around"

Your quote, I was merely suggesting that people in marple use the coop for convenience.

Regarding chadwick st, please refer to my earlier post from 10:02

rsh

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2013, 10:29:18 PM »
What would happen if everybody bought milk, bread and eggs from iceland every friday for a month and see what happens.

Is this a defence of the co-op? If this happens every week, you'd think they'd spot the trend and adjust their stock ordering... Most other supermarkets would.

rsh

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2013, 10:25:54 PM »
RSH

You are well off the mark.

Yes some people shop around for a weekly shop or delivery but does that affect the coop?

The co-op in marple is very much based upon conveniance.
If it was based on price, why does it always sell out of essentials such as warbutons bread milk and eggs.
These are all a pound at iceland but at least a third dearer at the coop.

Well off what mark?

If the co-op is based on convenience (and it must be) then why would anyone find it more convenient to 'click and collect' their loaf of bread and milk rather than just walk into the shop and pick it up themselves? It's not like they're offering a wider product range than what's actually in the store, as other supermarkets do with collection (eg Tesco Direct). Without doubt it's co-op's understanding of the market that's well off the mark here.

And the fact that Marple's only supermarket is an oversized convenience store with oversized convenience store prices is exactly what's wrong with the situation. (Please let something happen on Chadwick St!)

Bluezorro

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2013, 10:24:30 PM »
What would happen if everybody bought milk, bread and eggs from iceland every friday for a month and see what happens.

Bluezorro

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2013, 10:02:53 PM »
http://www.marpletowncentrestore.co.uk/

looks like something must be happening very soon at chadwick st according to kirklands website

Bluezorro

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2013, 09:49:48 PM »
thank smbc, not mia

Bowden Guy

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 09:30:58 PM »
It's just been announced that Northwich (population 19,259) is going to get a new ASDA superstore in the heart of the town. Their new Waitrose store opened last week. Marple has a similar population and has a small, expensive Co-op per active store whose shelves are often empty. Thank you, Marple in Action.

Dave

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2013, 06:40:16 PM »
If there was a 'small co op convenience store' in Marple Bridge, what products would you purchase from it - and roughly how often?

That's an odd question! People would use it for what we always use convenience stores for: one or two food or drink items from a wide but basic range - nothing very fancy - and, importantly, open long hours seven days a week.