Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Author Topic: PLEASE HELP  (Read 5409 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: PLEASE HELP
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 01:28:16 AM »
Hello Pirate Princess

If you are looking for activities within your age range then try out social circle - its a manchester based social and activity group for young professionals - ages range from 25-50.  It is a paid sign up but your first event is free http://www.social-circle.co.uk/
They do evening events and also daytime stuff do walks/sunday lunches/tours around Manchester at the weekends which you could get the train to.  Its worth a try, I have been going for years and can't reccomend it enough (I met my husband on there!) and I am a volunteer host for events for the past 4 years.   There are other activity groups too such as Spice or Manchester Socialites but I don't know much about them.  

Good luck
There is also Manchester IVC (Inter-Varsity Club) - www.manchesterivc.org.uk - a social group offering a wide variety of activities from the sedentary to the active, organised by members for members with something on nearly every day/evening in the week as well as occasional weekends away. IVC is a non-profit making organisation and the Manchester group has links with IVC groups all over the country. Some of the literature describes IVC as a singles group but that is inaccurate. Singles and couples are welcome and while you might meet your soul mate there is no pressure on you to do so.

I repeat what I said before - you will only get out of IVC or any other organisation what you put in and if you expect existing members to do all the running with no co-operation from you, you will find yourself on a hiding to nothing. It's no use standing in a room waiting for people to rush to your side to entertain you and be your friend. If that's what you expect you may as well forget any sort of social life.

Contact email is manchesterivc@hotmail.com

bat man

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 12:17:58 AM »
The Scouts are always looking for volunteers and they are a really Freindly bunch,specially 1st High Lane :)

Romsparkle

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 01:10:48 PM »
Hello Pirate Princess

If you are looking for activities within your age range then try out social circle - its a manchester based social and activity group for young professionals - ages range from 25-50.  It is a paid sign up but your first event is free http://www.social-circle.co.uk/
They do evening events and also daytime stuff do walks/sunday lunches/tours around Manchester at the weekends which you could get the train to.  Its worth a try, I have been going for years and can't reccomend it enough (I met my husband on there!) and I am a volunteer host for events for the past 4 years.   There are other activity groups too such as Spice or Manchester Socialites but I don't know much about them.  

Good luck

rach

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 09:13:02 PM »
Thanks stationery supplies for the carnival plug!  :-*
You should definitely come and join the carnival committee pirate princess ... Vast majority of us are around the age bracket you mention, if you come along to the next meeting on 2nd December then you can find out all about us ... Email me if you want info marplecarnival@gmail.com

Stationery Supplies

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 07:41:05 AM »
The carnival committee are desperate for new members, they are a really nice bunch & spend all year planning the event.

hollins

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »
If you click on "Links" on the home page of this web site and scroll down to "Local Activities and Clubs" Mark has done his best to point you to most of the local activities with a web presence.

Best of luck.

wheels

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 02:55:11 PM »
Why not jump on the last train from Marple and have a good night in the city. You will find plenty of local people on it.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 01:55:03 PM »
I work full time I can not go to a lunch group, I am still at work while the guides or brownies start :'(   
It's very defeatist to keep going on about what you can't do. Why not concentrate on what you could do?

I returned to Marple after 30 years absence. All the friends of my youth had scattered and I only knew one person. I now have a thriving social life but it's of my own making. I didn't have queues of people beating on my door begging me to join their club or be their friend. You have to put something in, in order to get something out.

"If you don't, you can't. If you do, you might" as the motto of one of my social activity groups says.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 12:04:19 PM »
It won't be the answer to all that you are looking for but you are welcome to join Friends of the Park on Saturday helping to tidy up the flowerbeds - everybody is welcome there!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

pirate Princess

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 11:24:34 AM »
I work full time I can not go to a lunch group, I am still at work while the guides or brownies start :'(   

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 11:35:52 PM »
I'm trying to find a activity group in Marple that is ideal for 30-35 year olds - not to be rude but always find that a lot of groups in Marple are catered for those who have retired or school/college kids. I don't know how welcomed i would be as a new member - as some groups I've joined in the past I've found quite hostile. I don't drive so wondering outside Marple late at night is not an option.

PLEASE HELP IM GOING SPARE AT HOME!  :-[
WI (get in there and change the age demographic from the inside - there's an afternoon branch in Marple Bridge and the new evening group in High Lane), the Carver Theatre (even if you aren't a keen actress, they are bound to bite your hand off if you want to be involved back stage), volunteer with Guides and Brownies. If you are a knitter or would like to become one the wool shop on Market Street hosts a group on Tuesday evenings. They range in age from students to retired ladies and the atmosphere is very welcoming. Marple library has a monthly reading discussion group and there is a notice board with useful info. Marple Ladies Luncheon Club is looking for new members. They meet 4 times a year for lunch at Marple Golf Club. There's a speaker after the meal and they're always very entertaining. The next lunch is in December. I can let you have the contact details if you like. Marple Arts Group offers a weekly programme of music, literature, drama, visual arts and film subjects on Thursday evenings from September to March.

Do you get the "Insider", the booklet that comes through the door at regular intervals? There is always a list of local activities in that.

Always give a new group a chance. What you are interpreting as hostility may be shyness or reticence on the part of other members or if they are committee members they may be trying to do six things at once and are a tad distracted.

pirate Princess

PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 08:23:52 PM »
I'm trying to find a activity group in Marple that is ideal for 30-35 year olds - not to be rude but always find that a lot of groups in Marple are catered for those who have retired or school/college kids. I don't know how welcomed i would be as a new member - as some groups I've joined in the past I've found quite hostile. I don't drive so wondering outside Marple late at night is not an option.

PLEASE HELP IM GOING SPARE AT HOME!  :-[