Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Author Topic: Fish Stall  (Read 7234 times)

Dave

Re: Fish Stall
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2013, 11:09:42 AM »
Much better, I agree - but not always cheaper.  But you get what you pay for.......    :P

Iona

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 07:49:19 AM »
We love the Marple fish man - so much better & cheaper than the supermarkets. We'll be dropping in there later as we do most weeks.

stockport road

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 08:19:45 PM »
What a load of rubbish . I regularly catch and gut mackerel  BBQ them within a couple of hours and can assure you that they smell of fish !

::)

Duke Fame

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 09:55:50 PM »
Why can't she champion one "fish guy" against another? Isn't that the whole basis of a free market, Duke?

There is championing one "fish guy" and there is being close to slandering another

Bowden Guy

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 08:05:52 PM »
Why can't she champion one "fish guy" against another? Isn't that the whole basis of a free market, Duke?

Duke Fame

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 10:17:56 AM »
Well, please yourselves. I'll continue to buy my fish in Charlesworth, where I bought some mackerel last week that was so fresh it raised it head and said "Good morning" to me as I walked into the shop - bright eyes, firm flesh, iridescent skin, just as a fresh mackerel should be. AND IT DIDN'T SMELL FISHY! In fact, if your nose was your only guide you wouldn't know there was a fish counter in the shop. The fresh tuna the week before was excellent too.

The problem is, Mylog, you are discrediting a local business on the basis that you personally favour another fish guy some 5 miles away. There are livlihoods behind these businesses which you can damage with a very subjective view.

By the nature of the fish, I'm afraid that Tuna cannot be that fresh and not the best example to champion one fish guy over another.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 09:42:30 PM »
Well, please yourselves. I'll continue to buy my fish in Charlesworth, where I bought some mackerel last week that was so fresh it raised it head and said "Good morning" to me as I walked into the shop - bright eyes, firm flesh, iridescent skin, just as a fresh mackerel should be. AND IT DIDN'T SMELL FISHY! In fact, if your nose was your only guide you wouldn't know there was a fish counter in the shop. The fresh tuna the week before was excellent too.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 06:50:46 AM »
I believe this is the council's hygiene rating for the Fish Stall on Market Street:

http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/business/warwick-fish-stockport-591753.html#

Looks fine to me.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Duke Fame

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 10:48:29 PM »
I repeat, and any fishmonger and cook worth their salt will confirm it, that fish and the shops where they are sold should smell of the sea and not of fish and it shouldn't matter whether they are one mile or a hundred and one miles from the sea. As no one in the British Isles is further than 75 miles from the sea as the crow flies all fish on sale, even in the most remote villages, should be fresh and there is no excuse if it isn't. Sadly it is not frequently not the case as in the case under discussion.

I refer you to the advice on choosing fresh fish supplied by the Seafish Industry Authority (set up under the Fisheries Act 1981), the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) National Marine Fisheries Service (an American Federal Agency), to say nothing of such writers in the subject as Jane Grigson and Alan Davidson and cookery and restaurant writers such as Elizabeth David, Jamie Oliver, Rick Stein, Elaine Lemm, et al.

I know My Log, the fish man's fish smells as it should on my visits. I got some nice razor clams on my last call and it's all fresh.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 01:34:39 AM »
Whilst you are right, I just don't think it applies to the fish guy. There is the normal smell of any fish stall, you can't get much fresher than North Shields fish quay and I was taken there many a time as a kid and fish does have a smell.

The fish guy is very good, considering we're a long way from the quayside, he does very good fresh fish.

I know some people are against him because he has beaten the system re. business rates but I say well done him for that.
I repeat, and any fishmonger and cook worth their salt will confirm it, that fish and the shops where they are sold should smell of the sea and not of fish and it shouldn't matter whether they are one mile or a hundred and one miles from the sea. As no one in the British Isles is further than 75 miles from the sea as the crow flies all fish on sale, even in the most remote villages, should be fresh and there is no excuse if it isn't. Sadly it is not frequently not the case as in the case under discussion.

I refer you to the advice on choosing fresh fish supplied by the Seafish Industry Authority (set up under the Fisheries Act 1981), the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) National Marine Fisheries Service (an American Federal Agency), to say nothing of such writers in the subject as Jane Grigson and Alan Davidson and cookery and restaurant writers such as Elizabeth David, Jamie Oliver, Rick Stein, Elaine Lemm, et al.

Duke Fame

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 12:52:26 PM »
It can't be that clean if it smells like it does when it's closed.

The smell isn't good when it's open either. Fresh fish should smell of the sea not of fish. A fishy smell indicates that the fish isn't as fresh as it should be.

Whilst you are right, I just don't think it applies to the fish guy. There is the normal smell of any fish stall, you can't get much fresher than North Shields fish quay and I was taken there many a time as a kid and fish does have a smell.

The fish guy is very good, considering we're a long way from the quayside, he does very good fresh fish.

I know some people are against him because he has beaten the system re. business rates but I say well done him for that.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 09:37:07 PM »
Would that be the same as 'flies'?

As far as I can see the fish man satisfies all Health/Safety and Hygiene requirements.
Quality of product is another matter.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 09:34:38 PM »
I've never seen a problem at the fish shop, it's scrupulously clean AFIK
It can't be that clean if it smells like it does when it's closed.

The smell isn't good when it's open either. Fresh fish should smell of the sea not of fish. A fishy smell indicates that the fish isn't as fresh as it should be.

TINSLEY

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 04:24:37 PM »
Flys, Flies go on a warm day.

Duke Fame

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 10:44:31 PM »
If you want to see flys on your fish.

I've never seen a problem at the fish shop, it's scrupulously clean AFIK