Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: DAB radio reception in Marple  (Read 3118 times)

Howard

Re: DAB radio reception in Marple
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 11:37:28 AM »
And having written that while I was out of the UK for a week, I have come home and my old DAB radio is now not able to find any stations. Perhaps it's coincidence but perhaps there are some transmitter issues..

Howard

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 03:21:29 PM »
The only problem I have is on a very old, Gen 1 DAB radio which occasionally loses its connection for a few seconds and then picks up again. My other, newer, radios are perfectly fine. On those, I flip between R4, 4Extra, 5 Live and 6 Music. All of them are pretty much glitch free. Marple should be able to recive DAB from Sutton Common, Sunley Building and good old Winter Hill. Mind you, I have clear line of sight from the top floor of my house to Winter Hill and the Sunley Building. Reception does depend on what geographical features are in the way of the signal as well as the type of construction used in the building you're trying to listen from.

sgk

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 01:28:25 PM »
Only started noticing recently when the signal took to vanishing in the middle of things I was listening to on Radio 4extra which seems to be worse than anything else.

Don't know a right lot about this DAB stuff, but I wonder if the lower bit rate (80 kbit/sec) given to Radio 4Extra is to blame ?

http://www.wohnort.org/DAB/uknat.html#BBC

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 01:47:03 AM »
Has always been a bit flakey for me, occasional dropouts.  However, an article published yesterday mentions new transmitters due in Glossop and Chapel-en-le-Frith.

The map at ukfree.tv shows another one due in Romiley.  That map suggests Marple is currently served by transmitters at the Sunley Building in Manchester, Sutton Common near Macclesfield, and one in Tideswell.
Only started noticing recently when the signal took to vanishing in the middle of things I was listening to on Radio 4extra which seems to be worse than anything else.

Belly

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 01:29:43 PM »
Has always been a bit flakey for me, occasional dropouts.  However, an article published yesterday mentions new transmitters due in Glossop and Chapel-en-le-Frith.

The map at ukfree.tv shows another one due in Romiley.  That map suggests Marple is currently served by transmitters at the Sunley Building in Manchester, Sutton Common near Macclesfield, and one in Tideswell.

Yes my DAB signal the other day was hopeless. Much better when I was holding the aeiral, which is not a long term solution!

sgk

DAB radio reception in Marple
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 10:38:26 PM »