Paul Whittaker Plumbing

Author Topic: Help to save the Story Bus!  (Read 2783 times)

wheels

Re: Help to save the Story Bus!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 11:01:41 PM »
Because it's not about me, it's about other families who have limited access to library facilities. The provision of storytime sessions within libraries is not a substitute for the service provided by the storybus.
We have found the storybus service to be fantastic for our children because it encouraged them to love books even more.  In addition to the reading and singing sessions, things such as the story and toy packs have really got them involved in the stories back at home. 

The bus itself is knacker and has reached the end of its life and needs replacement, so therein is an extra cost further the actual number of people using the service is tiny. Whilst as you say it might in different times be "nice" to have this service in a time when an extra £36m of saving has to be achieved the continuation of this service cannot be defended.

Littlepenguin

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 05:44:02 PM »
Because it's not about me, it's about other families who have limited access to library facilities. The provision of storytime sessions within libraries is not a substitute for the service provided by the storybus.
We have found the storybus service to be fantastic for our children because it encouraged them to love books even more.  In addition to the reading and singing sessions, things such as the story and toy packs have really got them involved in the stories back at home. 

amazon

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 04:29:14 PM »
http://www.stockport.gov.uk/services/councildemocracy/yourcouncil/haveyoursay/programmeforchange/storybusconsultation/

Click on link above to complete questionnaire

Thank you

Amazon: I personally live in Marple but work with families across the borough. (I don't work for Stockport council however!)
 So why can't u use marple library . Or stockport  .

Littlepenguin

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
http://www.stockport.gov.uk/services/councildemocracy/yourcouncil/haveyoursay/programmeforchange/storybusconsultation/

Click on link above to complete questionnaire

Thank you

Amazon: I personally live in Marple but work with families across the borough. (I don't work for Stockport council however!)

amazon

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 10:12:18 PM »
The 'Story Bus' is a local 'SureStart' service run by Stockport Council. It is basically a library bus especially equipped for pre-school children. It allows parents/childminders and children to gather on a weekly basis to share songs, stories and toys and obviously the opportunity to borrow story books and story packs. The story bus visits many locations across Stockport, many of which do not have their own local library, so it provides valuable access to library services for those families otherwise unable to attend a library.
http://www.stockport.gov.uk/services/leisureculture/libraries/morelibraryservices/storybus

However, the story bus is under threat! The service undergoes consultation in just under a weeks time, leading to the possible cessation of the service.

Myself and other families have found this service a valuable asset to both the social and educational development of children and think it would be a real shame to lose this service. Please help to save the story bus & make your views known to the council:

Email: surestart.mobile@stockport.gov.uk
Postal address: StoryBus, Early Years Team, Phoenix House, Bird Hall Lane, Cheadle Heath, Stockport. SK3 0RA
Phone: 0161 474 5676
Were do you live which area .

Littlepenguin

Help to save the Story Bus!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 09:32:24 PM »
The 'Story Bus' is a local 'SureStart' service run by Stockport Council. It is basically a library bus especially equipped for pre-school children. It allows parents/childminders and children to gather on a weekly basis to share songs, stories and toys and obviously the opportunity to borrow story books and story packs. The story bus visits many locations across Stockport, many of which do not have their own local library, so it provides valuable access to library services for those families otherwise unable to attend a library.
http://www.stockport.gov.uk/services/leisureculture/libraries/morelibraryservices/storybus

However, the story bus is under threat! The service undergoes consultation in just under a weeks time, leading to the possible cessation of the service.

Myself and other families have found this service a valuable asset to both the social and educational development of children and think it would be a real shame to lose this service. Please help to save the story bus & make your views known to the council:

Email: surestart.mobile@stockport.gov.uk
Postal address: StoryBus, Early Years Team, Phoenix House, Bird Hall Lane, Cheadle Heath, Stockport. SK3 0RA
Phone: 0161 474 5676