To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Stunnell stands down  (Read 2620 times)

Duke Fame

Re: Stunnell stands down
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 10:37:17 PM »
I'm sure Ms Smart will live up to her name, and I agree with wheels that the local Libdem electoral machine is highly effective.

However, I disagree with his contention that personal loyalty isn't a factor.  On the contrary, it certainly is, and I know quite a few people round here who have voted Libdem in recent years not because they have any strong political views, nor because they have been persuaded to do so by Libdem canvassers on the doorstep, but simply because they see Stunnell as a decent hardworking MP who brings commonsense and a keen awareness of local issues to his politics.   

However, Hazel Grove does not exist in a 'bubble'.  Nationally, it is accepted that the Libdem vote will fall significantly in 2015, if only because it can no longer be the home of the 'protest vote'.  No-one who is unhappy with the record of the current government is going to register a protest by voting Libdem, obviously!  They will have to look elsewhere.  Labour?  UKIP? Or just stay at home?  Whatever they do, it makes the outcome very unpredictable.   

But the coalition are pulling back as their economic policy is proven right, the firmer stand on benefits is very popular and Ed Milliband looks pretty clueless desperately looking for sympathy dragging out the Daily Mail thing as a last hope of popularity.

Stunnell has been good and I've been impressed with him & Pickles working together.

Dave

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 10:00:07 AM »
I'm sure Ms Smart will live up to her name, and I agree with wheels that the local Libdem electoral machine is highly effective.

However, I disagree with his contention that personal loyalty isn't a factor.  On the contrary, it certainly is, and I know quite a few people round here who have voted Libdem in recent years not because they have any strong political views, nor because they have been persuaded to do so by Libdem canvassers on the doorstep, but simply because they see Stunnell as a decent hardworking MP who brings commonsense and a keen awareness of local issues to his politics.   

However, Hazel Grove does not exist in a 'bubble'.  Nationally, it is accepted that the Libdem vote will fall significantly in 2015, if only because it can no longer be the home of the 'protest vote'.  No-one who is unhappy with the record of the current government is going to register a protest by voting Libdem, obviously!  They will have to look elsewhere.  Labour?  UKIP? Or just stay at home?  Whatever they do, it makes the outcome very unpredictable.   

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

wheels

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 05:28:25 PM »
Our MP Andrew Stunnell has just announced that he will not be standing for re-election in 2015.  See http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/hazel-grove-mp-andrew-stunell-6116425

Almost the end of an era - if 16 years counts as an era!  But Stunnell seems to have had quite a lot of personal support, so his resignation could throw this seat wide open at the next election.

Unlikely Dave  individuals and personalities don't win election. Good machines win election and the Lib Dem machine in HG is bigger and better than any of the other parties.  His successor was selected on Sunday

Dave

Stunnell stands down
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 05:19:57 PM »
Our MP Andrew Stunnell has just announced that he will not be standing for re-election in 2015.  See http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/hazel-grove-mp-andrew-stunell-6116425

Almost the end of an era - if 16 years counts as an era!  But Stunnell seems to have had quite a lot of personal support, so his resignation could throw this seat wide open at the next election.