Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: Vandalism in Memorial Park  (Read 4564 times)

wheels

Re: Vandalism in Memorial Park
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 03:32:59 PM »
Wow, wheels.  You've responded to a quite reasonable point from Dave about police patrolling the park (which is already on their priority list, see Marple South + Marple North) to speculation of them suddenly bullying, tazering and shooting young people.  That's quite a leap.

The police do a great job, coping in some really tricky situations.  Members of the public, including Daily Mail readers, ought to reflect on this.

Sorry sgk I don't think we will agree on that.

JMC

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 02:41:17 PM »
They are probably children - teenagers, no doubt, but probably under 18 (the 18-years olds being in the pub).  The blame lies with the parents, of course.   The solution is obvious - after dark the police should patrol the park and other areas prone to vandalism, and round up any groups of stray kids and take them home. 

I agree with Dave that in some cases it is the parents to blame. I know one boy who is always throwing rocks etc at buses and shops. His mother was told and he didn't get in trouble at all and was out the next day throwing rocks once more. if I knew my kids were up to no good, no way would they be out roaming the streets all day!!

Dave

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 01:47:33 PM »
That sounds even more Daily Mail like than usual.

Hardly.  If I wanted to sound like the Mail I'd have said the flower beds were being ripped up by Romanian immigrants who hate Britain and have come here to sponge off our benefits system.   ;D

sgk

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 11:54:44 AM »
Dave,

That sounds even more Daily Mail like than usual. I am 17 stood in the park so I say sorry Mr Policeman by what right are you taking me home. I refuse the situation escalates. You seem to be suggesting something that would make even more problems for the police and give them more opportunity to bully, tazer or shoot young people.

Wow, wheels.  You've responded to a quite reasonable point from Dave about police patrolling the park (which is already on their priority list, see Marple South + Marple North) to speculation of them suddenly bullying, tazering and shooting young people.  That's quite a leap.

The police do a great job, coping in some really tricky situations.  Members of the public, including Daily Mail readers, ought to reflect on this.

wheels

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 10:57:42 AM »
They are probably children - teenagers, no doubt, but probably under 18 (the 18-years olds being in the pub).  The blame lies with the parents, of course.   The solution is obvious - after dark the police should patrol the park and other areas prone to vandalism, and round up any groups of stray kids and take them home. 

Dave,

That sounds even more Daily Mail like than usual. I am 17 stood in the park so I say sorry Mr Policeman by what right are you taking me home. I refuse the situation escalates. You seem to be suggesting something that would make even more problems for the police and give them more opportunity to bully, tazer or shoot young people.

Dave

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 09:40:37 AM »

tonyjones

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 09:12:52 AM »
The stocks in the park have not been used for a few years !

Duke Fame

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 11:25:18 PM »
Name and shame them as soon as you get info.

stockport road

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 08:11:04 PM »
What sort of person ( no matter how bored ) would rip out flowers for a bit of fun . Beyond belief  :-[

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 06:12:48 PM »
Any chance of CCTV coverage? 

I don't believe so Barbara, but I've included the need for that in my email to councillors and police just a moment ago. Not only in relation to this incident but also the arson attempt at the bowling green buildings a couple of months ago.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Barbara

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 05:58:05 PM »
Any chance of CCTV coverage? 

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Vandalism in Memorial Park
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 05:20:45 PM »
After a great task day yesterday, when people were full of praise for the efforts of Friends of Memorial Park and were even making donations to support our efforts, it was very depressing to return today to add some extra soil to the Jubilee Bed that was replanted yesterday and find that the bed had been willfully vandalised over night.

The bed had been trampled on, plants ripped out and thrown away and jewels removed from the crown sculpture and smashed. Totally mindless and it makes you wonder why you bother.

We also found later that a drainage pipe on the Scout Hut has been smashed into tiny pieces and one of the wooden Acorn sculptures had been removed from its base and was found buy one of our members floating in the canal.

Here are some images of the damage. The last two photos show how it looked after we had tidied it up and put the the extra soil on today (and pretty much how it looked before the vandals set about it).

It has been reported to the Police and I will be writing to local councillors after I've finished this post.

I hope that we will get the support that we deserve from those bodies. If you see any further vandalism in the park, and especially if you witness it, please report it to the police.

This is how it looks after we finished tidying up today:

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website