A M Photo-Graphics

Linked Events

• GMP Community Meeting at Edgeley Park: March 24, 2022

Author Topic: Once in a Generation Neighbourhood Policing Consultation  (Read 3050 times)

jimblob

Re: Once in a Generation Neighbourhood Policing Consultation
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2022, 12:46:57 PM »
What's Rishi got that Andy Burnham hasn't?
Credibility to back his ambition rather than simply being a megalomanic gob***te who has to date failed in every post he's occupied.

Health Secretary, Culture Secretary, and Chief Secretary to the Treasury plus several positions in the shadow cabinet, he's had more posts than Postman Pat. He had crack at becoming Labour leader twice before but he came fourth out of the five candidates that entered the contest, with just 8.68pc of the vote. Realising his political luck in the big smoke was running thin he decides he's a born again Mancunian and gets elected GM Mayor even though no one in greater Manchester actually wanted one. Since then anything he touches turns bad... Police, CAZ, homelessness, Burnahm bikes; his only skill seems to be that he's good a blaming everyone else.... I've seen better shoulders on a bottle of ketchup.

GM

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2022, 12:31:17 AM »
What's the obsession with continually wanting more and more to be spent!.

On the Burnham front I was going to say ego, but they're pretty equal. One want to be PM whilst the other just wants to wear a parka and rule over the north west.

Cyberman

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2022, 12:07:47 AM »
So what's the additional £29.2 million for 2021/2022 paying for then ?.
To compensate for the cuts in Central Government spending? Manchester has been particularly hard hit - a cut of £204 per person from years 2015/16 to 2020/21. See searchable table in this article (sorry about the clickbait). Could have been worse - could have been Liverpool - £227 per person. The lucky residents of N. Yorkshire - Rishi Sunak territory - only lost £117. What's Rishi got that Andy Burnham hasn't?
https://www.nationalworld.com/news/politics/levelling-up-billions-have-been-cut-from-councils-in-england-the-worst-hit-local-authorities-3559368?__hstc=219909318.7b1574663dab22159a9a2fb234d7fb09.1645895152387.1645895152387.1645895152387.1&__hssc=219909318.1.1645895152388&__hsfp=2263913558

GM

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2022, 09:09:42 AM »
I would say that's a very typical you blue voters are to blame response, but totally fail to see Andy put up you're council tax

So what's the additional £29.2 million for 2021/2022 paying for then ?.

The total budget according to a report from the 22nd July 2021 is £674.4 Million!

andy+kirsty

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2022, 11:29:21 AM »
Er, we're into year 12 of a Tory Government. You can't blame the parlous state of things on Lab / Lib.

This sh*t show is owned by you lot.

(Ok, Ok, perhaps the 2010 Libs have a lot to answer for)

Sadly Aron is already highlighting the agreement between labour and liberals, the usual we'd spend more etc.

You can't just keep throwing endless money at problems and expect something positive to happen, as it just becomes an ever larger sinkhole.

How about reducing what must be a huge spend on social media and put those people on the actual beat.

The police do not ever need Facebook or Twitter accounts and the people that must spend all day doing it for them or the 213k as chief constable of GMP.

GM

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2022, 01:19:51 PM »
Obviously I'm a local Lib Dem councillor but the facts state that Andy Burnham has increased police numbers since 2017 when he became mayor. So please, if you want to make comments on here, especially on such an important issue, give us the facts. If you voted for the current government anytime between 2010 and 2017 you voted for a government that cut the police force significantly - and right across the UK.

1. Well when you read Andy Burnham spent more money, as a labour mayor.

2. If you voted conservative you are to blame for reduced additional money.

Just because there are more people does not equate to more crime, I think statistically they report a reduction in crime over time partly as technology has gotten cheaper, ie it's not worth stealing TVs etc anymore.

That's before we even get started on the waste of time and resources on "None crime hate incidents" the big thing that should scream waste of time being "Non Crime"

Aron Thornley

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2022, 01:06:28 PM »
In my post below I do not once mention "more spending". What I am talking about is cutting staff teams. If you have a local bin collection team and you halve their staff then it is going to be very hard for your local bin team to do the same job that double the amount of people did previously - and so you start getting problems with bin collections and then people are unhappy. Most public services are run by people, and it is the people, and the correct staff structures and numbers, that ensure a competent job. Policing is very much the same. You actually need people to be out on the street, supporting residents where appropriate and arresting people when needed. Just to have the same amount of police as 10 years ago would be a start. Spending money in the right places is what I would support.

wheels

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2022, 11:02:02 AM »
That's probably more aimed at the Met instead of GMP.

No it was aimed no more at the Met than GMP or indeed any other force. The last thing we want to see is more investment in these organisations.

GM

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2022, 10:48:09 AM »
That's probably more aimed at the Met instead of GMP. I would agree I don't have any issue with the local officers, can't guage much as they pass in a car.

But it would be true to say that overall they do have a long way to fully rebuild trust and get back to the absolute basics of policing.

By that I mean limited use of powers and a return to community policing values, I would to a certain extent say a return to local police housing.

Cyberman

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 10:37:18 AM »
Why would we want more of the same the police need to sort out their institutional and individual problems before they will ever again enjoy the support of the public.
That's a bit harsh. I have no problem with our local police and would love to see more of them on the streets and on the roads - but with the current government that isn't likely to happen. I know there may still be problems at the top that need addressing, but I have great respect for the guys/gals we see (very occasionally) on the street.

GM

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 10:36:19 AM »
Sadly Aron is already highlighting the agreement between labour and liberals, the usual we'd spend more etc.

You can't just keep throwing endless money at problems and expect something positive to happen, as it just becomes an ever larger sinkhole.

How about reducing what must be a huge spend on social media and put those people on the actual beat.

The police do not ever need Facebook or Twitter accounts and the people that must spend all day doing it for them or the 213k as chief constable of GMP.

wheels

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2022, 09:19:05 AM »
The policing situation in Marple and Greater Manchester and the UK is a real concern. If people on here want to know the reason for this, and actually start to look at the facts before them, I have a couple of suggested articles attached here. And there are hundreds of articles from police, councils, and regional governments across the UK that will tell you the same thing. Significant cuts to the police force since 2010 mean that Greater Manchester still has around 12% less police officers than it had 10 years ago, yet the population has increased ! Obviously I'm a local Lib Dem councillor but the facts state that Andy Burnham has increased police numbers since 2017 when he became mayor. So please, if you want to make comments on here, especially on such an important issue, give us the facts. If you voted for the current government anytime between 2010 and 2017 you voted for a government that cut the police force significantly - and right across the UK.

I would urge people to make a response to the GMP Neighbourhood Policing Consultation. I agree, it is not perfect, but it is a start.

https://www.polfed.org/gmp/news/2018/1-911-fewer-police-officers-in-greater-manchester-than-in-2010/

https://aboutmanchester.co.uk/every-person-in-greater-manchester-to-have-access-to-their-own-contactable-neighbourhood-police-officer/

Why would we want more of the same the police need to sort out their institutional and individual problems before they will ever again enjoy the support of the public.

Aron Thornley

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 08:59:30 AM »
The policing situation in Marple and Greater Manchester and the UK is a real concern. If people on here want to know the reason for this, and actually start to look at the facts before them, I have a couple of suggested articles attached here. And there are hundreds of articles from police, councils, and regional governments across the UK that will tell you the same thing. Significant cuts to the police force since 2010 mean that Greater Manchester still has around 12% less police officers than it had 10 years ago, yet the population has increased ! Obviously I'm a local Lib Dem councillor but the facts state that Andy Burnham has increased police numbers since 2017 when he became mayor. So please, if you want to make comments on here, especially on such an important issue, give us the facts. If you voted for the current government anytime between 2010 and 2017 you voted for a government that cut the police force significantly - and right across the UK.

I would urge people to make a response to the GMP Neighbourhood Policing Consultation. I agree, it is not perfect, but it is a start.

https://www.polfed.org/gmp/news/2018/1-911-fewer-police-officers-in-greater-manchester-than-in-2010/

https://aboutmanchester.co.uk/every-person-in-greater-manchester-to-have-access-to-their-own-contactable-neighbourhood-police-officer/

jimblob

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 01:51:03 PM »
I've completed it but it just feels like an opportunity for rhetoric, to be seen to be talking about issues rather than dealing with the underlying issue of crime. The police can only be measured by what they do, i.m.h.o. they seem to think that saying the right things is all that's needed. Doesn't help when they're answerable to Andy Burnahm!

Condate

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 10:36:53 AM »
I have completed it, but it is far too much a series of questions where a simple selection of answers are required which are not adequate to explain how you actually feel about the question.

It's better than nothing, but the only useful bits are the last questions where you can enter text and really explain what you feel about policing in the area. These are the only meaningful questions really.  However, it is at least something. You really can't give sensible information using multiple choice questions in this or many other surveys.