Landscape Gardening Maintenance Marple & Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Goyt Mill up for Sale!  (Read 15375 times)

Dave

Re: Goyt Mill up for Sale!
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2016, 10:54:17 AM »
Fascinating!  Who is going to buy that for 6 Million - it will need a fortune spending on it to restore the building to its former glory, and that would make the new rents far too much for the present tenants.

It would make a great apartment block, of course, many of the flats having wonderful views over the Cheshire Plain.  But only if the same fortune were to be invested in it.

Or then there's simple demolition.  A four acre site could accommodate maybe 30 four-bed detached houses, or many more smaller 'affordable' homes.  But 6 million plus the cost of demolition is probably more than the true value of a clear site of that size.   

It will be interesting to see what - if anything - happens. 

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

jjjr40

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 09:35:21 PM »
Goyt Mill is a beautifull building on the inside the views are amazing and if i could afford to live on the 6th floor when/if they ever convert it to apartments I would buy one of the apartments. You can just walk up the stairs to the 6th floor and look out of the windows.

amazon

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 08:21:21 PM »
Goyt Mill has approximately 83 businesses operating out of it, including many who are quietly making Marple a better place to live, for example:
RopeRace Climbing/Canoeing/Archery Centre, XXL Fitness Centre, (weights, zumba, karate) Scalextric slot racing, Rough n Tumble soft play, PSE Professional Sound Europe (Loud Speakers), Nitrotek (remote controlled toys importer) Abyss Scuba Diving Centre, Heirloom Beds (beautiful solid wood furniture) Cane Direct, (Cane Furniture), Carpet Outlet, Uniquely Chic (restored and painted furniture) Artstop Photo Studio, The Doo Lally Tappers (elderly keep fit through tap dance), V.I.P Taxi Service, Coley's Kitchen (butty van) there is a new Furniture Showroom opening as well, amongst others.

FYI: The mill is being advertised for sale, because the 5 year Embargo preventing the sale for residential use has only 2 years left to run. After that a buyer (probably a conglomerate) could purchase it and turn it into Lofts (i.e Bollington). The building would have to be gutted floor by floor to remove the asbestos and oil soaked wood floors.
That is probably why the expenditure on the upkeep is being kept to a minimum and maintenance is colossal.
It will be sad to see all these thriving businesses lose their homes, a community of Goyt Mill users and occupiers will be dispersed.

But Goyt mill looks a mess from the outside .dont know what it's like inside .also heard that Compstall mill has just been resold .firm called Jennings bought it .they have a lot of property in Bolton and manchester .

meredith

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 02:49:30 PM »
Goyt Mill has approximately 83 businesses operating out of it, including many who are quietly making Marple a better place to live, for example:
RopeRace Climbing/Canoeing/Archery Centre, XXL Fitness Centre, (weights, zumba, karate) Scalextric slot racing, Rough n Tumble soft play, PSE Professional Sound Europe (Loud Speakers), Nitrotek (remote controlled toys importer) Abyss Scuba Diving Centre, Heirloom Beds (beautiful solid wood furniture) Cane Direct, (Cane Furniture), Carpet Outlet, Uniquely Chic (restored and painted furniture) Artstop Photo Studio, The Doo Lally Tappers (elderly keep fit through tap dance), V.I.P Taxi Service, Coley's Kitchen (butty van) there is a new Furniture Showroom opening as well, amongst others.

FYI: The mill is being advertised for sale, because the 5 year Embargo preventing the sale for residential use has only 2 years left to run. After that a buyer (probably a conglomerate) could purchase it and turn it into Lofts (i.e Bollington). The building would have to be gutted floor by floor to remove the asbestos and oil soaked wood floors.
That is probably why the expenditure on the upkeep is being kept to a minimum and maintenance is colossal.
It will be sad to see all these thriving businesses lose their homes, a community of Goyt Mill users and occupiers will be dispersed.

gazwhite

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 08:31:07 PM »
Cheeky bugger was stalling me for time then...

red666bear

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 06:14:39 PM »
I was amazed to discover that the Royal Mail Hawk Green depot is based at Goyt Mail (well, according to 192.com it is, anyways). I did not know that.

Which - if one were to take strategic view of Marple - would kind of make sense. Close down the Royal Mail depot in Marple centre (Trinity Street/ Chadwick Street), move it to the (allegedly) already-existing site at Goyt Mill; and the now-empty site is free to go to Kirkland Marple. Aldi? Waitrose? Budgens? Who knows?

I suspect red666bear will have something to say about this.

Interesting times.
goyt mill is one of the sites stockport mbc are looking at to relocate the sorting office. chadkirk industrial estate is another.

red666bear

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 06:12:43 PM »
So a lot of people will have to go to Goyt mill for parcels .thank you not a good idea .

you may be going to green lane in stockport to collect your parcels.

red666bear

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 06:11:38 PM »
People already do I think.... British Gas service men collect parts from a Royal Mail place in Hawk Green

gaz the royal mail site at chapelfields is the collection hub for british gas engineers.

gazwhite

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 08:47:59 AM »
People already do I think.... British Gas service men collect parts from a Royal Mail place in Hawk Green

amazon

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 01:34:34 PM »
I was amazed to discover that the Royal Mail Hawk Green depot is based at Goyt Mail (well, according to 192.com it is, anyways). I did not know that.

Which - if one were to take strategic view of Marple - would kind of make sense. Close down the Royal Mail depot in Marple centre (Trinity Street/ Chadwick Street), move it to the (allegedly) already-existing site at Goyt Mill; and the now-empty site is free to go to Kirkland Marple. Aldi? Waitrose? Budgens? Who knows?

Interesting times.

So a lot of people will have to go to Goyt mill for parcels .thank you not a good idea .

Tricky

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 11:46:26 AM »
I'd be surprised if the HGVs  could make the required deliveries there. Aren't the canal bridges on Hibbert  Lane and Windlehurst weight restricted.

Another thought...is the mill listed?

HGVs used to deliver/collect from Goyt mill all the time

as for listed? the place is an eyesore tbh - surely, if it ever became a proper listed building (no chance), then the income it currently supposedly receives would be slashed due to the removal of the plethora of telecoms masts?

meh

falcon

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 11:23:04 AM »
perhaps the eyesore could be changed to expensive upmarket   accommodation, or  taken down with all the tatty buildings on  the other side of the road, and  lovely affordable housing built. Can't believe the price  some houses in Marple are selling for

barndoor

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 11:57:20 PM »

Interesting times.

sgk

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 07:27:57 PM »
It's a long road between it going up for sale and it being a supermarket.

If Asda couldn't get planning permission for a supermarket on Hibbert Lane then the buyers of Goyt Mill (if there ever are any) have got even less chance. In addition to this I'm not absolutely sure but I think that I've read somewhere that it's listed. My guess is that it will be up for sale for a long time to come.

It's locally listed, rather than being a pukka grade II type thing

http://www.stockport.gov.uk/2013/2978/8803/23309/listofstandingbuildings?view=Standard