Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Marple Library Opening Hours Consultation [Starts 9 July 2013]  (Read 3759 times)

simonesaffron

Re: Marple Library Opening Hours Consultation [Starts 9 July 2013]
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 09:10:15 AM »

There are 7 libraries on the latest consultation exercise and Marple isn't one of them. Marple had it hours reduced last year as a consequence of an early intervention play group restructuring.

There are plans though to reduce the opening hours for High - Lane Library.

There are going to be council cuts right the way through until at least the next general election and possibly beyond that. I suppose it depends upon who wins it where those cuts will actually be post 2015. The Council is having savings forced upon them by the National Government's continual reduction in the annual settlements. I think SMBC will have to find around £50m for this Coalition Government Cycle and that takes some finding. I think SMBC have done a good job in minimising the impact but it can't go on forever. I mean how long can you not mend the roads for.  Libraries are an easy one and also they are not part of a statutory requirement so IMHO we can expect future reductions in the libraries opening hours even possible closures in some cases. Its been said before on this site but I for one would sooner see library reduction openings than cuts being effected in our parks and open spaces.     

sgk

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 11:13:45 PM »
According to the Manchester Evening News article posted 20th June, Marple and Hazel Grove have already had their cuts, so will not be affected.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/stockport-library-consultation-set-second-4692085

Marple and Hazel Grove libraries will escape cuts after having opening times reduced earlier this year ... The exceptions are Marple and Hazel Grove libraries where no change is proposed, as they each had a reduction of 4 hours in April 2013 due to a service redesign of Children’s Centres.

Dave

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 10:36:49 PM »
That's definitely what the website said at that time, but like you Mark, I can find no mention of it now. 

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 07:05:56 PM »
I'm a bit confused about the library consultation - I believe that the one for Marple Library was due to start today but it isn't on the new list atm:

http://www.stockport.gov.uk/services/councildemocracy/yourcouncil/haveyoursay/programmeforchange/librariesconsultations/

Dave - can you confirm it said Marple would start on 9 July before please?

I've Tweeted a query to SMC but they haven't responded yet, which is typical!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 10:05:03 AM »
Visiting the SMBC website to look at this library consultation, I came across this budget simulator.  http://www.budgetsimulator.com/stockport

It's quite a simple (but thought-provoking) way of illustrating the difficult choices which local authorities are facing. 

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 09:55:46 AM »
Thanks for the correction Dave - I've modified the original post. Agree with what you say regarding parks!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 09:50:49 AM »
....but it says they are not consulting on Marple Library yet - that starts on 9 July.

I know no-one wants any public services to deteriorate, but given a choice, I'd rather put up with reduced library opening hours than suffer the proposed cuts to parks and playgrounds.  :'(

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Marple Library Opening Hours Consultation [Starts 9 July 2013]
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 09:23:16 AM »
You can still have your say on the Council's proposed changes to its Library Opening Hours. Marple Library starts on 9 July 2013.

http://www.stockport.gov.uk/services/councildemocracy/yourcouncil/haveyoursay/?view=Standard

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website