Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: Sat Nav  (Read 4282 times)

wheels

Re: Sat Nav
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 11:47:38 AM »
I'm sure an expert like wheels can cycle and map-read at the same time  ;)

No henlady I can't but I can read a map the night before and remember it the following day when driving without further reference to it. I think most people are able to do that.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 06:49:16 AM »
The free Satnav on my previous phone is one of the best tools I've ever come across and the great thing is that it works without a sim so I still use it even now that I've changed phones.

As a precaution I enter new destinations at my PC, not in the car, review the route to a new destination on Google maps and even use Street View to decide where I'm going to park when I arrive.

Had it for around 5 years I think - FREE and brilliant!

Wheels, I agree that map reading is a very useful skill indeed but when you're on your own, a SatNav is far less distracting then keeping an open A-Z in your lap when driving around an unfamiliar town. When you're in a car and you want to refer to a paper map then really there should be a driver and a navigator.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

chicken lady

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 11:50:09 PM »
I'm sure an expert like wheels can cycle and map-read at the same time  ;)

Howard

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 04:45:21 PM »
SatNavs just make people lazy and stops them developing their map reading. My advice would be avoid them

Wheels, I agree that map reading is a very useful skill indeed but when you're on your own, a SatNav is far less distracting then keeping an open A-Z in your lap when driving around an unfamiliar town. When you're in a car and you want to refer to a paper map then really there should be a driver and a navigator.

wheels

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 03:56:47 PM »
....and much more reliable.  I've lost count of the number of lost drivers I've encountered when walking the dog near the Roman Lakes, who come driving hesitantly along, wind the window down and say 'Is this the way to Linnet Clough Scout Camp'.  Every one of them was using satnav.   ::)

SatNavs just make people lazy and stops them developing their map reading. My advice would be avoid them

Howard

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 03:12:44 PM »
....and much more reliable.  I've lost count of the number of lost drivers I've encountered when walking the dog near the Roman Lakes, who come driving hesitantly along, wind the window down and say 'Is this the way to Linnet Clough Scout Camp'.  Every one of them was using satnav.   ::)

There's a reason for this sign at the bottom of the hill...

Dave

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 02:07:37 PM »
....and much more reliable.  I've lost count of the number of lost drivers I've encountered when walking the dog near the Roman Lakes, who come driving hesitantly along, wind the window down and say 'Is this the way to Linnet Clough Scout Camp'.  Every one of them was using satnav.   ::)

wheels

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 12:14:40 PM »
What's wrong with a map cheaper and easier

Iona

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 07:09:21 AM »
Thanks Harry & Enigmawatcher - I will check 'Waze' out.

Enigmawatcher

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 09:56:37 PM »
Hi Iona,
In response to your question about sat nav apps, I have been using 'Waze' for the past year on my iPhone and have found it to be better than my old Tom Tom.

The app is easy to use, doesn't use up too much battery power on a normal journey. It also has a gasification element to add a little fun to your journeys but you don't have to use that if you don't need to. It has other features which pip the likes of Tom Tom.

If you need any more info feel free to ping me

Happy safe driving! :)

Harry

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 11:42:38 AM »
Whenever you leave your car, lock the Sat Nav in your boot.

Sat Nav thefts are a lot less common than they used to be because the price of them has come down considerably.

Iona

Sat Nav
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 11:27:25 AM »
Having had 2 Sat Navs stolen from my car (I know I probably should have learnt my lesson but it was more important for me to know I had it with me at all times and we did install a security light) I'm now on the look out for a new Sat Nav. Not wanting to repeat the dilemma of which risk do I take - not having it with me when I need it or having it stolen - I've been looking at Sat Nav Apps for my IPhone 4S.

Has anyone got any experience of these or any cunning ways I can avoid having a new Sat Nav stolen? Any help would be greatly appreciated!