Marple Blasting Services | Blast Cleaning Stockport

Author Topic: Council Redundancy Payments  (Read 4357 times)

Duke Fame

Re: Council Redundancy Payments
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 01:18:33 PM »
I think it's pretty obscene actually, especially as it comes out of public coffers - but maybe not quite as obscene as Mancini's payoff!

Not so sure that we were taxed through our council tax to pay off the remainder of Mancini's contract.

simonesaffron

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 10:14:24 PM »
I think it's pretty obscene actually, especially as it comes out of public coffers - but maybe not quite as obscene as Mancini's payoff!

Don't really see the connection myself. 

amazon

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 12:28:16 PM »
What has football got to do with this . Completely different subject .dont change the subject .

dtm

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 12:08:33 PM »

simonesaffron

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 11:41:15 AM »
I can only imagine Duke that you take pleasure in winding people up ;) - personall speaking I hardly think that an offer made last year of around £7,000 redundancy is over generous when you relate it to approximately 20 years service. Obviously from that you can gather that we are definitely not overpaid!

You might not be overpaid dtm but what do you say about the Officer that received £375,000.00? Would you say that he is overpaid or do you think he desrves the payout?

dtm

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 10:43:03 AM »
I can only imagine Duke that you take pleasure in winding people up ;) - personall speaking I hardly think that an offer made last year of around £7,000 redundancy is over generous when you relate it to approximately 20 years service. Obviously from that you can gather that we are definitely not overpaid!

Duke Fame

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 02:01:54 PM »
AFAIK they are all laid down in something called the Local Government (Compensation for Redundancy) Regulations 1994.

Times have moved on, in the past local authorities paid pretty low salaries is exchange for job stability, holidays etc. Now that public sector workers are over-paid, I think they should just get statutory redundancy like the rest of us. They are basically staling from the taxpayer.

Dave

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 05:04:28 PM »
Who agrees these terms ?

AFAIK they are all laid down in something called the Local Government (Compensation for Redundancy) Regulations 1994.

Bowden Guy

Council Redundancy Payments
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 03:25:28 PM »
It's just money down the drain........

Bowden Guy

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 03:24:26 PM »
The rules are made by the politicians. For example, if you are aged 55+, are made redundanct and are a member of the  Local Government Pension Scheme your employer is legally obliged to pay for the costs of the employee accessing their pension early. The employee can take their pension without any actuarial reduction. The one-off cost to the employer can amount to tens or, indeed, hundreds of thousands of pounds - Regulation 19 of “The Local Government Pension Scheme (Benefits, Membership and Contributions) Regulations 2007

I wouldn't be surprised to find that this officer is in this age-group. This perk is, of course, available, to staff at all levels, not just the most senior.

You will also fuind that redundancy terms in local authorities are much more generous than the statutory terms. One LA not far from here has a policy of doubling the number of weeks eligible for redundancy pay and they also base the calculation on actual salary whioch is very good news for the high earners.

simonesaffron

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 03:08:20 PM »
I know that this is entirely unrelated to this topic but I didn't know where to put it.

I've just read that a Stockport, Senior Council Officer received £375.000.00 when he was made redundant. This is scandalous at any time but especially in these. Who agrees these terms ? There is some poor leadership here.

Senior Council Officers now just use Councils as a cash cow and if this example is anything to go by they get away with it.