Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Author Topic: Drain Inspection and Repair  (Read 9142 times)

Enigmawatcher

Re: Drain Inspection and Repair
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 04:46:38 PM »
I then called North West Drain Services Ltd. run by John Makin, based in Bolton (Tel: 01204 689677 / Mob: 07756631110). He was good enough to provide a reference for his company/work and I was more than satisfied. His men completed the work over 2 days, doing an excellent, thorough job and leaving everything very tidy and in good condition afterwards.

I Searched the forum for drain fixing companies and found this recommendation even though a few years old. I called this company and they arrived the same day and sorted out the problem.  Did a great job at a big-boy beating price. Happily recommend.

amazon

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 03:22:28 PM »
I made the mistake of paying a company £144 recently for a 'drain survey' which basically told us nothing other than that our gulleys needed repairing. It was accompanied by quotations for this work which were clearly extortionate prices.

I phoned around some other relatively local companies but was still getting high quotes. I then called North West Drain Services Ltd. run by John Makin, based in Bolton (Tel: 01204 689677 / Mob: 07756631110). He was good enough to provide a reference for his company/work and I was more than satisfied. His men completed the work over 2 days, doing an excellent, thorough job and leaving everything very tidy and in good condition afterwards.

Best of all, he quoted me a price that was around a third of the other quotes I received and he stuck to that price, despite the fact that extra unforeseen work had to be included. If, like me, you are unable to find a satisfactory drainage company more locally, I would highly recommend using North West Drain Services for an honest, reliable and excellent value for money service. 

So you contacted united utilities first did you .drains are now there problem . From April 2011 .

LG

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 08:31:52 PM »
I made the mistake of paying a company £144 recently for a 'drain survey' which basically told us nothing other than that our gulleys needed repairing. It was accompanied by quotations for this work which were clearly extortionate prices.

I phoned around some other relatively local companies but was still getting high quotes. I then called North West Drain Services Ltd. run by John Makin, based in Bolton (Tel: 01204 689677 / Mob: 07756631110). He was good enough to provide a reference for his company/work and I was more than satisfied. His men completed the work over 2 days, doing an excellent, thorough job and leaving everything very tidy and in good condition afterwards.

Best of all, he quoted me a price that was around a third of the other quotes I received and he stuck to that price, despite the fact that extra unforeseen work had to be included. If, like me, you are unable to find a satisfactory drainage company more locally, I would highly recommend using North West Drain Services for an honest, reliable and excellent value for money service. 

Bluezorro

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 08:27:36 AM »
I had a similar issue about ten years ago at my former house in heaton moor.
If the drain is shared it is the water boards problem.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 04:20:31 PM »
Here's the link that Lily alluded to - the diagram is very useful.
http://www.unitedutilities.com/sewers-and-drains-explained.aspx

Yes indeed, very helpful thanks Lily and BG. I'm waiting for a call-back from UU to discuss the problem.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Bowden Guy

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 02:57:09 PM »
Here's the link that Lily alluded to - the diagram is very useful.

http://www.unitedutilities.com/sewers-and-drains-explained.aspx

Lily

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 03:48:25 PM »
If you google 'united utilities drains responsibility' then you can find info that explains who is responsible for the drains.
Hope this helps and hope you get it sorted.

Bowden Guy

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 03:20:45 PM »
I was wondering - does your neighbour have a manhole in his/her garden? You could get a clearer idea as to where the blockage is if you look down there?

Bowden Guy

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 03:17:47 PM »
Good idea from Amazon - whatever, it doesn't look like it's your reponsibility if the blockage is where you think it is. Hope you can get it sorted quickly - it can get pretty ghastly when it backs up all the way!

amazon

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 02:36:51 PM »
My neighbours drain runs into the inspection manway in his garden the same way that my second one does.

Call united utilities they will come out to you if it's your responsibility they will tell you it's free  to call and come
Out .or you could call your insurance com see if your covered .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 12:27:10 PM »
Could you add on where you think you neighbour's drains are?

My neighbours drain runs into the inspection manway in his garden the same way that my second one does.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Bowden Guy

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 12:21:12 PM »
Could you add on where you think you neighbour's drains are?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 11:28:38 AM »
Thanks Marveld, I've asked Vince for a price, along with a number of others.

The key question is, if you have a next-door-neighbour, does their drain join with yours before it reaches the sewer?

Here's a diagram Bowden Guy - it's in our back gardens, my house is the first on the line so to speak and it carries on down the road.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

marveld

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 11:15:36 AM »
I used A & M Drains (Vincent Hart) a couple of years ago and I kept their business card in case we needed them again -

http://www.aandmdrains.co.uk/

We didn't need the use of their camera technology, but they got the job done efficiently. Note: they appear to have two different local telephone numbers - the Yell listing one is different from their website.

http://www.yell.com/s/drains+and+pipe+cleaning-high+lane.html

Bowden Guy

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 08:56:08 AM »
The key question is, if you have a next-door-neighbour, does their drain join with yours before it reaches the sewer? If so, everything after the join then becomes a sewer itselfand is the responsibility of the water company (United Itilities). We have had problems whenever there is a massive amount of rain. The sewer gets clogged up and everything then backs up into our drains (!) Now we just have to call out United Utilities and they sort it out.