Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: Re: Local Councillors using this web site  (Read 7150 times)

Dave

Re: Local Councillors using this web site
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 03:30:09 AM »
I also asked a Councillor why they don't use our website and...... I was told that because the website is moderated and sometimes posts are removed they consider this to be censor and editing and as such it is not conducive to openness, transparency and free speech and as Councillors who (allegedly  - my italics ) operate in a climate of openness and transparency they could not condone contributing to such a site.

Simone, that is astonishing!   I'll try very hard not to go into one of my anti-councillor rants again, but if whoever said it thinks we might believe it, s/he clearly thinks his/her electors are gullible fools.   It's just an excuse, and a feeble one at that!   All properly run web forums are moderated, and even councillors must know that. 

simonesaffron

Re: Local Councillors using this web site
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 05:50:11 PM »
Hello CTREP,

I can't see how "reading" the  Marple website will give Councillors more complaints. Who would actually  know if they were reading it ?

I know for a fact that Councillors are in possession of all singing all dancing laptops which enables them to access any site they wish including the Marple website. So I don't really understand Councillors responses to you. I think that your right, I think that they should read it and I think that they should post community information on it, on the basis that it could be helpful to the community. I think that I vaguely remember one post from KD some time ago about Barlow Wood and I think I also remember a post from AB, but I can't recall what it was about. But that's about it.

I also asked a Councillor why they don't use our website and I received an entirely different answer.

I was told that because the website is moderated and sometimes posts are removed they consider this to be censor and editing and as such it is not conducive to openness, transparency and free speech and as Councillors who (allegedly  - my italics ) operate in a climate of openness and transparency they could not condone contributing to such a site.

That is what he/she said.  I remember it quite clearly.  

Hello Mark

Presumably because of my interest in Connect2 and the wider issues of cycling I was approached on how I would react to a kissing gate or something similar on the access point to Connect 2 at the junction of Marina Drive and Marple Hall Drive. The purpose of the kissing gate is to prevent use by cyclists and horse-riders, there was no mention of motor-bikes.  My initial reaction was that this was no great problem to people travelling between Chadkirk and Marple and the Middlewood Way. However when I looked at the A-Z I realised this could be of considerable inconvenience to those living in the neighbouring estate. Of course the passage of cyclists through this access point may be causing great distress to all those living in the vicinity, but there had been objection to Connect2 from this area which was obviously over-ruled. So if it is only one person's anti-social attitude that is trying to bring about this change then I think it is up to the residents of the area and the cyclists and horse-riders already using the route to put their point of view to those making the decisions.

This brings up a wider issue of public information. I have asked Councillors before if they read the Marple Web Site. The reaction is No, partly because they say the Council supplied computers won't let them access this or similar sites, and partly because they are inundated with complaints to take on further issues. Unfortunately this often results in things happening before the majority of people whom it affects ever get to know of them, and then of course it is too late. If there is any formal way issues such as the one above can be brought to the general attention and be discussed democratically before the Council takes its own decision instead of having to really on hearsay this would be of great help to the community.