Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: Appeal Time Limits  (Read 41481 times)

simonesaffron

Re: Appeal Time Limits
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 12:36:33 PM »
Dave,

I think that you believe that if you keep repeating the Mantra about the Councillors and the MP letting the community down that everybody will start believing it.

Try this: Rightly or wrongly Councillors and the MP believed even though it was a catalyst for a College refurbishment a supermarket on Hibbert Lane was a bad idea for Marple. They believed that the harm it would do outweighed the benefits. They believed  it would effectively kill off the town centre and in support of this so did Marple Business Forum. Marple 6 + MP also believed that there was much opposition in the community to this scheme and in support of this MIA came into being and I also expect Councillors  + MP have had much other representation in opposition.

As they have been our Councillors and our MP for quite some time now and the issue of a supermarket has not shown then it is probably a reasonable assumption to make that they didn't want a supermarket anyway, anywhere in Marple. However once CAMSFC broke bread with ASDA (behind everybody's back) they (CAMSFC) took the lid off the supermarket box and Councillors + MP realised very quickly that it wouldn't go back on again and that somewhere in Marple there was going to be a supermarket.

Councillors + MP identified an alternative site in the town centre that might just enhance and support the existing businesses. So they used their influence to bring this about. This was supported by the FACT that the Hibbert Lane scheme contravened Council Planning Policy whereas the Trinity Street scheme complied with it. This was further supported by SMBC's professional planning directorate and also by SMBC's Planning Committee.

As if this wasn't enough Councillors + MP believed that there were/are other ways for the College to finance a refurbishment programme but when they tried to communicate this to CAMSFC they would not entertain them. When Councillors informed CAMSFC that they would not gain planning permission for Hibbert Lane, CAMSFC ignored them. 

Throughout Councillors + MP have taken a consistent stance, they have engaged with the community, they have explained their position. They have represented their community - how can this be construed as "letting the community down". Please explain if you can.   

JMC

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 12:32:38 PM »

MIA may had their hands full with ASDA, but in the meantime they have effectively given another nasty supermarket operator carte blanche to dump an equal sized supermarket on top of the only decent sized car park in Marple (which curretly accomodates all us existing town cente shoppers) and cheek by jowl to exitsing residential properties. Well done. Have another glass of wine and relax.... its too late to anything about CS now anyway.

Very good point.

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 12:09:41 PM »
Was there a No to Chadwick Street campaign? If there was I missed it.I objected to the council about it. I was one of the few. Do you think some of the MIA should of given up their full time jobs to try to fight it?
No I don't, but why as a campaign group only object to one? It could be argued that this puts MIA in a position of responsibility to advise the public on both schemes as in many respects the impacts are the same. As it is by MIA making no reps on CS this has given a signal to the public that 'all is ok' when it is far from it.

It also makes me wonder what MIAs motivation was - if they don't have any desire to hold a very similar scheme to the Asda site to account.

Mrs O - I'm glad you put in an objection. That makes you consistent, which is all I really wanted from MIA.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

sooty2

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013, 11:09:23 AM »
Was there a No to Chadwick Street campaign? If there was I missed it.I objected to the council about it. I was one of the few. Do you think some of the MIA should of given up their full time jobs to try to fight it?

Belly

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 09:32:47 AM »
I would think that a lot of people who do not want an sp' on Hibbert Lane are not happy about the Chadwick Street proposal which is bigger than expected, plus the related traffic issues. MIA have their hands full with the Hibbert Lane site.

Chadwick Street is not a proposal anymore! Its a planning consented development. Lets not forget that. Now all it needs is someone with the mony to deliver it. You can all moan about traffic and parking from now on until you are blue in the face. That ship has sailed, there is no going back.

My biggest regret of this whole sorry episode is that the elected and self-appointed "Guardians of Marple" have fallen asleep at the wheel and have effectively waived through a potentially damaging supermarket scheme, whilst publically celebrating the refusal of the other. Where is the critical analysis of the CS site and the effects this could have on our community? Oh thats right, everyone was too busy slinging mud at ASDA. I bet most of Marple doesn't even realise CS has consent!

MIA may had their hands full with ASDA, but in the meantime they have effectively given another nasty supermarket operator carte blanche to dump an equal sized supermarket on top of the only decent sized car park in Marple (which curretly accomodates all us existing town cente shoppers) and cheek by jowl to exitsing residential properties. Well done. Have another glass of wine and relax.... its too late to anything about CS now anyway.

Dave

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, 05:34:03 AM »
If a certain person on this forum  is so passionate about the future of the college,  why does he not orchestrate a support group?

Because such a campaign, if it were to stand a chance of being successful, should have been initiated by the college itself, and should have been underway a long time ago.  It's far too late now, and anyway, it is not for those of us who have no connection with the college to do their job for them.  I feel that the college has let the community down almost as much as the councillors and our MP have.   :(

will we know what happens to the proceeds of the sale of Chadwick Street?  

I assume it will just disappear into the council's bank account.  

sooty2

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 11:51:40 PM »

Their stated position at the moment is that they are against Hibbert lane, and have no opinion on anything else. But given that all the objections to a supermarket on Hibbert lane are at least as relevant, if not more so in the case of traffic problems, to Trinity street, it's not unreasonable to ask if MIA will switch targets (so to speak) once Hibbert lane is dead and buried, if trinity street looks like it might actually happen.

That is what I think will happen also.
 Do we ever find out what happens to the proceeds of anything that SMBC sells? Will we feel any benefit if NPS finds a buyer for the toilets on Marple Rec'?  I think MIA are correct to stick to their original aim, as we all know is, to stop an sp' on Hibbert Lane that would affect the many homes around the Hibbert and Buxton Lane area. The possible increase in traffic and the almost certain  decrease in footfall to the existing Marple shops. To diversify to objecting to Chadwick Street would only muddy the waters. Of course the traffic situation that could arise from the Chadwick street site is also a big issue. MIA cannot rest yet , as Asda may appeal. Eventhough I feel it would bring much needed trade to Marple. I don't think that some people know or care, how much time, effort and personal money is required to support this issue. If people think that the much appreciated public donations cover the cost of this campaign that has been running for 21 months is enough think again. It is easy for members on this forum to be critical. Hey! if it was all as easy as typing a few objectionable words on a pc'. If a certain person on this forum  is so passionate about the future of the college,  why does he not orchestrate a support group? If people want an sp' on Hibbert Lane, why didn't they do what MIA did? Work at it! It takes a great effort to amass the very much appreciated support of the people who do not want a sp' on Hibbert Lane. I would think that a lot of people who do not want an sp' on Hibbert Lane are not happy about the Chadwick Street proposal which is bigger than expected, plus the related traffic issues. MIA have their hands full with the Hibbert Lane site. There are only so many hours in a day!

ps this is in reply to Hollins, will we know what happens to the proceeds of the sale of Chadwick Street?

Dave

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 11:45:02 PM »
If the local authority (and the "Marple 6") are so set against a supermarket on Hibert Lane why don't they commit to gifting the proceeds of the sale of Chadwick Street to the Cheadle & Marple College? If the College then gets its (£4m?) from selling HL for housing, then both parties would get what they want. There are examples in other parts of the country where local authorities have made capital contributions to College projects. So, "Marple 6", let's hear what you think.

An interesting point.    The council would not be allowed to just do it - they are not permitted to just give away assets to whoever they like - but they might get permission from the government.  Something like this has indeed been known to happen, and I have personal experience of it, although this was a few years ago and the 'rule book' may have changed by now.  The relevant government department, of course, is DCLG, where ironically our MP used to be a junior minster. 

The council would need to argue that there was some clear economic or other measurable benefit to local council taxpayers, and that this benefit would not happen unless they donated the proceeds from Chadwick Street.  Which on the face of it, they could do.

The question is, is the political will there to actually do it?  And if there is, why has no mention of the possibility been made by any councillor or by our MP?

Belly

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »

Their stated position at the moment is that they are against Hibbert lane, and have no opinion on anything else. But given that all the objections to a supermarket on Hibbert lane are at least as relevant, if not more so in the case of traffic problems, to Trinity street, it's not unreasonable to ask if MIA will switch targets (so to speak) once Hibbert lane is dead and buried, if trinity street looks like it might actually happen.

But surely they will be far to late as Chadwick Street already has planning permission.

JMC

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 08:47:17 PM »

hollins

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 08:44:55 PM »
Bowden Guy makes a very reasonable point. Stockport MBC haven't been very forthcoming on what they will be doing with the proceeds of the sale (or even - and this will be of great interest to local Council-Tax payers - how much they expect to get from the sale). Presumably they will be using those proceeds for the benefit of Marple ... won't they?

amazon

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 07:50:16 PM »
Would asda have to reapply for planning if it was seen that the chadwick st project was not happening in a few years or could that be worked into the appeal.
If that was the alternative site and no supermarket wanted it and sorting office still there in five years what could happen?
The cost per sq ft to build it may cause expanding supermarkets to consider other towns.
               IF ASDA did decide to go for Chadwick street were we're does that put Mia .
I thought campaign was always focused against a supermarket (Asda ) on Hibbert Lane, not no to a supermarket in Marple?
Yes,Marple in action are against a supermarket on Hibbert Lane. Amazon must of missed that ::)

Why one and not the other or does that come later .so they can have there picture in the press again like i said they wanted .

marpleexile

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 07:27:20 PM »
Would asda have to reapply for planning if it was seen that the chadwick st project was not happening in a few years or could that be worked into the appeal.
If that was the alternative site and no supermarket wanted it and sorting office still there in five years what could happen?
The cost per sq ft to build it may cause expanding supermarkets to consider other towns.
I thought campaign was always focused against a supermarket (Asda ) on Hibbert Lane, not no to a supermarket in Marple?
Yes,Marple in action are against a supermarket on Hibbert Lane. Amazon must of missed that ::)

sooty2

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 06:37:28 PM »

Bowden Guy

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
If the local authority (and the "Marple 6") are so set against a supermarket on Hibert Lane why don't they commit to gifting the proceeds of the sale of Chadwick Street to the Cheadle & Marple College? If the College then gets its (£4m?) from selling HL for housing, then both parties would get what they want. There are examples in other parts of the country where local authorities have made capital contributions to College projects. So, "Marple 6", let's hear what you think.