RC Cars, RC Helicopters, RC Planes | Nitrotek Ltd

Author Topic: Assets of Community Value  (Read 2537 times)

Chrislizt

Re: Assets of Community Value
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
Yes applies to land -  this is what the guidance says

1. Definition of Assets of Community Value
We intend to table an amendment to place the definition of an asset of community value on the face of the Bill. This is the definition to which each local authority operating the scheme will refer when deciding whether a building or other land should be listed as an asset of community value. We intend that it will state that a building or other land should be considered an asset of community value if:
..... its actual current use furthers the social wellbeing and interests of the local community, or a use in the recent past has done so; and
..... that use is not an ancillary one;  and
..... for land in current community use it is realistic to think that there will continue to be a use which furthers social wellbeing and interests, or for land in community use in the recent past it is realistic to think that there will be community use within the next 5 years (in either case, whether or not that use is exactly the same as the present or past); and
..... it does not fall within one of the exemptions which we will be putting in regulations, e.g. residential premises and land held with them.

“Social interests” will be defined to include cultural, recreational and sporting interests.

With regard to “recent past”, our current view is that we will leave it to the local authority to decide, since “recent” might be viewed differently in different circumstances. For example, “recent” might be taken as a longer period for instance for land which was formerly used by the public until the MoD took it over for live ammunition practice, than for a derelict building. Ten or even twenty years might be considered recent for the former but not for the latter.

In deciding whether a nominated asset should be listed, the local authority will need to exercise its general duty to take all relevant matters into consideration when making its decision.

Issue is - if you express an interest (if it is council owned) then the Council will prioritise disposal of that asset? If you don't express an interest then they might dispose of it anyway and the community has no say

I think its worth doing maybe for the library, baths and the cinema - but then (for another post) eligibility of the parties to express an interest is qualified

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 06:42:05 PM »
The Hibbert Lane campus built in the 1920s (?) is a community asset - you cannot be serious.

The land could be a community asset surely?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Bowden Guy

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 05:05:43 PM »
I would certainly agree with the Cinema being designated. Great place.

Bowden Guy

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 05:04:29 PM »
The Hibbert Lane campus built in the 1920s (?) is a community asset - you cannot be serious.

amazon

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 04:39:27 PM »
The Regent Cinema would get my vote.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2013/feb/27/cine-files-regent-cinema-marple
It's got to be Marple memorial . No nicer park in the area .the work the volunteers put in is a credit to them in all weathers as well .

sgk

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 04:17:52 PM »

Chrislizt

Assets of Community Value
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 01:12:17 PM »
I note that Stockport have no registrations to date under this scheme - Salford have Former Council Offices and Broughton Baths on their list - I cant find the list for Manchester but some other councils have old pubs etc

There are lots of buildings in Marple that are an asset to the community and it would be tragic to lose - might even stall the sale of the college? Details as follows much more information on DCLG site - SMBC's site is not good but Salford explains it well. (Manchester is merely concerned with obtaining revenue from sale of their own assets) but as I see any building can be listed private or public. The worrying aspect is the progressive loss of public facilities - some councils talk initially about community centres and libraries but some even mention parks.

The Localism Act 2011 introduced a range of new Community Rights including the Community Right to Bid. This gives local community groups, voluntary bodies and Town and Parish councils the opportunity to nominate land and buildings which further the social interest or wellbeing of a local community. Examples of this include parks and open spaces, sports and leisure centres, village shops, village pubs,libraries and heritage sites.
Successful nominations will be maintained in a list of assets of community value and in the event of a proposed sale of a nominated asset a community organisation will have a six month opportunity to raise capital and acquire the asset. The Community Right to Bid commenced from 21 September 2012.

I am meeting with someone from the council this week to discuss the implications for Brabyns.