Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: ASDA to snap up the Chadwick Street site ?  (Read 32354 times)

Duke Fame

Re: ASDA to snap up the Chadwick Street site ?
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2013, 11:52:22 PM »
That's true, certainly Portwood has a longer walk. As long as the paved areas are smooth there will not be a problem. Most importantly, the walk will go past other shops meaning the new supermarket compliments helps the local business rather than destroys it

And where would you leave your trolley full of shopping whilst you nipped into the other shops? Bearing in mind the shoppers having to cope with toddlers, shopping trolleys walking through Market Street and down Derby Street etc. Also the other supermarkets have special parking for disabled and people with children, how many of the parking spaces will be lost to cater for these at the supermarket?

I've gone and typed compliments not complements.

I'm sure there will be disabled parking in whatever car parking provision is in place. The supermarket may well insist on parent & child slots but it's a pet hate of mine, having a child is not a disabilty

the rover

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2013, 04:09:54 PM »
That's true, certainly Portwood has a longer walk. As long as the paved areas are smooth there will not be a problem. Most importantly, the walk will go past other shops meaning the new supermarket compliments helps the local business rather than destroys it

And where would you leave your trolley full of shopping whilst you nipped into the other shops? Bearing in mind the shoppers having to cope with toddlers, shopping trolleys walking through Market Street and down Derby Street etc. Also the other supermarkets have special parking for disabled and people with children, how many of the parking spaces will be lost to cater for these at the supermarket?

Duke Fame

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2013, 03:15:35 PM »
Duke,

People are not prepared these days to push shopping trolleys through town centres to get to their cars even if the distance is relatively short.

What exactly do you mean by a ..."smaller ASDA" ? I take it you looked at the plans and you know the proposed size of the store. I personally wouldn't class that as small would you? 

I understand the Chadwick St development will be slightly smaller than the Co-op, when I say smaller Asda, I mean as opposed to mega Asda.

As for the need to walk, I see your point, in the days of obesity, people don't like to walk too far. However, the plans remind me a little of Wetherby where they have been able to incorporate the whole precinct around a large Morrisons and yes, people are prepared to walk through th etown to their cars. 

Duke, Let's not get into the world of obesity again. Your constant reference to the word has gone far beyond the point of tedium.

My understanding of the Chadwick Street Development is that your understanding is a misunderstanding. I thought that the proposed development (sales area only) of the scheme was 25,000 sq ft whereas the Co-op comes in at 16,000 plus sq ft. This makes the new supermarket around 64% bigger than the existing co-op. I wouldn't call that small Duke - would you ? 

I see, that is officially quite large.

Duke Fame

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2013, 03:06:43 PM »
I must say that I think this idea of Duke's has more merit than it's being given credit for.

I think that imaginative use of the Derby Street Car Park and the one way road itself could result in significantly more parking for the town centre.

I also think that in terms of distance to push a trolley, you could have to go further than this in Tesco at Portwood, Asda in Hyde and Stockport and Sainburys in Hazel Grove.

Some efficient management of trollies would be needed of course.

simonesaffron

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2013, 03:01:46 PM »
Duke,

People are not prepared these days to push shopping trolleys through town centres to get to their cars even if the distance is relatively short.

What exactly do you mean by a ..."smaller ASDA" ? I take it you looked at the plans and you know the proposed size of the store. I personally wouldn't class that as small would you? 

I understand the Chadwick St development will be slightly smaller than the Co-op, when I say smaller Asda, I mean as opposed to mega Asda.

As for the need to walk, I see your point, in the days of obesity, people don't like to walk too far. However, the plans remind me a little of Wetherby where they have been able to incorporate the whole precinct around a large Morrisons and yes, people are prepared to walk through th etown to their cars. 

Duke, Let's not get into the world of obesity again. Your constant reference to the word has gone far beyond the point of tedium.

My understanding of the Chadwick Street Development is that your understanding is a misunderstanding. I thought that the proposed development (sales area only) of the scheme was 25,000 sq ft whereas the Co-op comes in at 16,000 plus sq ft. This makes the new supermarket around 64% bigger than the existing co-op. I wouldn't call that small Duke - would you ? 

Bowden Guy

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2013, 02:22:05 PM »
I thought both Chadwick Street and Hibbert Lane had a 25,000 sq metre supermarket?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2013, 02:10:42 PM »
I must say that I think this idea of Duke's has more merit than it's being given credit for.

I think that imaginative use of the Derby Street Car Park and the one way road itself could result in significantly more parking for the town centre.

I also think that in terms of distance to push a trolley, you could have to go further than this in Tesco at Portwood, Asda in Hyde and Stockport and Sainburys in Hazel Grove.

Some efficient management of trollies would be needed of course.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Duke Fame

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2013, 02:04:35 PM »
Duke,

simonesaffron

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2013, 01:33:23 PM »
Duke,

the rover

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2013, 11:33:15 AM »
Unless shoppers can unload their shopping trolley into their car in the car park at the supermarket then they won't shop there. I for one would not push a shopping trolley from the proposed supermarket to the Derby Street car park. If that was my choice then I would still shop out of Marple.

Duke Fame

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2013, 11:02:22 AM »
Duke,

It isn't a worry that the shopping area will become busy with people, that's great if it happens. The concern is that if the equation is wrong Marple will become congested with cars which is not great and even may serve to put people off coming into it because of the vehicular traffic. 

Well, I think it's safe to assume people will arrive by car so yes there will be more vehicular traffic into the cetral shopping area

To change the layout of the carpark on Derby st, I think there is two choices:

Single level car park – remove the exit onto Hibbert la, landscape the whole area to turn the exit area of Derby st to be incorporated into the car park. This will add around 16 spaces.

Multi storey – remove exit onto Hibbert la, a ramp be built to the 2nd level on the exit area of Derby St, parking under this ramp, this will add around 8 places on ground level & 20 spaces on level 2.

I don't see a small Asda / Waitrose / Aldi creating that much more traffic. The Aldi at Rommily doesn't get as busy as the Co-op car park, the Waitrose at Cheadle is the same, a smaller Asda again would not cause a huge problem, in fact teh one at Hazel Grove does not have a massive car park.

Remember that there are two under utilised car parks, one behind the fire stations & the other oppositet eh hatters.

simonesaffron

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2013, 07:21:55 AM »
Duke,

It isn't a worry that the shopping area will become busy with people, that's great if it happens. The concern is that if the equation is wrong Marple will become congested with cars which is not great and even may serve to put people off coming into it because of the vehicular traffic. 

Duke Fame

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2013, 12:06:57 AM »
I disagree Duke, the car parks in Marple are the opposite of "scarcely populated" perhaps you've been visiting them in the wee small hours, does the duchess know about this?

A couple of weeks ago (it was Friday about 1pm) I couldn't get a space in the co-op so I parked in Chadwick Street and it was three-quarters full. My point is that when the supermarket arrives the effect will be that traffic that normally disperses from Marple will now converge upon it. I don't know anything about traffic design schemes and I don't think that you do either but Belly seems to be knowledgeable and he appears to be worried. So I'm going to have to side with him in the hope that he's wrong and you're right.   

I'll study urban transport planning overnight and I'll show the plans on the back of an envelope or something, worry not, all will be great.

It's interesting that the worry is that the shopping area will become busy. Surely that is the aim of the shopping area.

The co-op may lose customers but I can't see that a smallish co-op sized shop being the magnet for shoppers all around

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2013, 09:57:59 AM »
My point is that when the supermarket arrives the effect will be that traffic that normally disperses from Marple will now converge upon it. I don't know anything about traffic design schemes.   

Thats my concern Simone and it remains a 'concern' rather than an absolute - if you get my drift.

The CS traffic work was based, as far as I can tell, on limited f surveys carried out in the late summer / autumn of last year and the conclusion of this work went something along the lines of: the new supermarket car park will be at capacity to cater for all of the new supermarket traffic on a 'typical' day (the conclusion being that there would not be enough spaces for a busy time such as Christmas - althought this wasn't stated). The displaced existing parking from CS (again based on a typical day only, not during busy times of the yerar) should be able to be accomodated across all the other car park sites in Marple, so that the final situation would be that all the car parks in Marple would be pretty much 'at capacity' on any given weekend.

Hmm. To me thats teetering on a cliff and it only needs the new supermarket to be more popular than anticipated (parking work was only undertaken based on an 'average' basket of sites) or there is an event in Marple and then the wheels could come off. There is also the practical issue as to how traffic will know which car park to head for, in order to avoid touring round and round Marple's many pocket handkerchief sized car parks looking for a space. The Council's solution appears to be variable message signage - i.e. signs with LED's showing the number of spare spaces at different car parks. A good idea in principle but in practice in the cramped confines of the Marple car parks, likely to be very diffiicult to achieve accurately and it still won't address the busy day issue.

Anyway, not to worry. Its all been approved, so lets just wait and see what happens. Maybe it will all balance itself out - that can occur, but if it does, who will suffer, the supermarket with its own car park sized towards its needs, or the remainder of the town, which will now be one large car park short of what it used to have?  ??? 
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

Bluezorro

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2013, 09:11:17 AM »
Was there any provision in the chadwick st development for reopening church st to help with traffic.