Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: Nuhope at Marple Hall School  (Read 53448 times)

amazon

Re: Nuhope at Marple Hall School
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 12:22:28 PM »
The school is closed today due to staff being unable to get through the snow. Will they all get detentions I wonder?

But most of the children went in surly there should be some way of communicating with them to tell them not to turn up ..if children can why not teachers , don't they have a website .

Dave

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 12:18:09 PM »
It's a few years since our kids were at MHS, and I don't know enough about this 'NuHope' thing to pass an opinion - although judging from this thread, it does seem to be being applied in a somewhat draconian and arbitrary way!

However, if it really is true that the Head has said that 'if people dont like the nuhope regime, then move to another school', that is appalling! MHS is the only secondary school in Marple, and it is not unreasonable to expect it to provide an educational environment appropriate to all our children. The suggestion that if they don't like it they should leave all their friends behind and travel miles to another school is disgraceful!

alison

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 11:53:51 AM »
I don't think that Louby was actually saying the Headteacher was "not qualified to teach Marple youth". I don't know how you arrived at that one Alison, you've just jumped from A to Z . She was just pointing out that the Headteacher was from Leeds and not part of the Marple Community, which may or may not be relevant - but it is certainly worthy of mention. Personally, I find it strange that someone would commute like that, it's a bit of a journey these days. Maybe she plans to relocate to Marple - is she a new appointment ?

I'm interested in this  ( Nuhope, not where the Headteacher lives ) because my granddaughter may be attending MH next year. There appears  to be mixed views on "Nuhope" on this thread, although it has to be said there seems to be a common denominator with virtually all its supporters - they all seem to be adults and they don't seem to have any kids in the school !   

Does anybody have any first - hand views on what impact this system is having on the children.

From my experience (which I won't elaborate) with schools and disciplinary measures there should always be one big question. Children don't like any school disciplinary measures that's children for you - but do they think it's FAIR ?     

OK fair call, maybe I misinterpreted the comment about not being part of the 'community'

Alison

the rover

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 10:30:26 AM »
The school is closed today due to staff being unable to get through the snow. Will they all get detentions I wonder?

They won't get detentions because there are no staff to give them!

chicken lady

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 09:06:01 AM »

simonesaffron

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 08:39:23 AM »
However, the one thing that I really object to is the accusation that somebody that is 'not from round here' does not have the required skills and expertise to deal with kids from this community. This just seems to be nimbyism in the extreme. Values, respect, discipline etc do not and should not vary from area to area, or even from country to country, and to raise the point that just because someone commutes to Marple, they are not qualified to teach Marple's youth, is just silly, in my humble opinion. It is certainly not an opinion that I would want kids to believe is acceptable, and to take into their adult life.

Alison

I don't think that Louby was actually saying the Headteacher was "not qualified to teach Marple youth". I don't know how you arrived at that one Alison, you've just jumped from A to Z . She was just pointing out that the Headteacher was from Leeds and not part of the Marple Community, which may or may not be relevant - but it is certainly worthy of mention. Personally, I find it strange that someone would commute like that, it's a bit of a journey these days. Maybe she plans to relocate to Marple - is she a new appointment ?

I'm interested in this  ( Nuhope, not where the Headteacher lives ) because my granddaughter may be attending MH next year. There appears  to be mixed views on "Nuhope" on this thread, although it has to be said there seems to be a common denominator with virtually all its supporters - they all seem to be adults and they don't seem to have any kids in the school !  

Does anybody have any first - hand views on what impact this system is having on the children.

From my experience (which I won't elaborate) with schools and disciplinary measures there should always be one big question. Children don't like any school disciplinary measures that's children for you - but do they think it's FAIR ?      

the rover

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 07:07:17 AM »
How about a year 7 girl trying to get to her next lesson and trying to get past year 6 foot tall year 11 boys & girls on the stairs/corridors and being pushed about, losing a shoe, trying to get it back thus making her late for her next lesson? Teacher not listening to any excuses just giving out a detention because it is means they don't have to think anymore just use Nuhope?? Good?? Or how about one teacher making all of the pupils leave their class 5 minutes later than normal then when the kids get to the next lesson 5 minutes late they all get Nuhope detention from the next teacher?? Try complaining about this to the new Headteacher and see what her response is. We are not the only parents to complain and get nowhere. She has been punished for forgetting a book/pen which we have no problem with it is just that this Nuhope has taken away any thinking/listening that the teacher has to do.

Marplemum

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 08:54:27 PM »
If teachers are spending too long at the beginning of each lesson providing bits of forgotten equipment, then surely that is something that needs addressing.  Children need to arrive at school ready to learn and not to waste valuable teaching time.   NUHOPE seems to be on the right track to me. My children have also long since left MHS but I would have had no problem with it.   If they got a detention, so be it.  Hopefully they would remember the next time.  I would think that most children would only get one or two NUHOPE detentions before the penny dropped and a valuable life lesson learned.

Miss C

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 08:22:50 PM »
Well according to the website:

No answering back
Uniform worn correctly
Homework in on time
On task in lessons
Punctual
Equipment necessary to lessons.

Can't really see anything to argue with there. Why shouldn't we expect our schools to have high expectations of our children? Especially in today's economic climate where there is much more competition for jobs. Surely they are just trying to prepare our children to have the highest standards. Bring it on- I would expect my child to meet all the nuhope expectations. It's just a shame this has to be made so explicit in schools in order for it to happen consistently!

chicken lady

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 07:37:37 PM »
My children have long left Marple Hall, all in their mid to late 20's now. I am interested in this debate about NuHope - I like the idea of better discipline, and the concept of consequences for bad or lazy behaviour ( such as forgetting equipment etc) and agree with Gaz that young people need to learn the rules of the big wide world of work. What I don't like is the name, NuHope, it smacks to me of American religious brand mentality. Just my opinion though, it may well be fantastic.

gazwhite

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 04:30:42 PM »
Although they sound like minor issues, things like forgetting books/pens/rulers etc... impact everybody else in the room - they either have to be provided on loan or they have to share - all takes time - impacting the time learning.  If everyone forgot their text book that they are borrowing for the year/term then the school would have to buy double the number of books.

Why can't these basic things be remembered - in my day I had a pencil case and a bag, where I kept all my stuff.  Each night I used to pack my bag with equipment needed for the next day. Easy.

When people go into the 'real world' they will be expected to dress/behave and perform to a standard, if they learn it whilst young then it will be easier in later life.

Howard

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 03:47:35 PM »
There is a parent voice meeting on Thursday 21st February,  in which parents are invited to discuss issues going on in school, it could be a good opportunity if you are not working, to voice your concerns Looby.

Good idea except the "Parent Voice" meeting is 3.30pm to 4.30pm. Not great for working parents. However, if it really does have such an impact on the morale of your child then it is probably time well spent.

Rachael

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 03:36:23 PM »
There is a parent voice meeting on Thursday 21st February,  in which parents are invited to discuss issues going on in school, it could be a good opportunity if you are not working, to voice your concerns Looby.

Howard

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 03:33:37 PM »
As with Hollins, my son is not affected by the NUHOPE programme in MHS and is incredibly glad that it is not applied to his year.

The NUHOPE programme has been given a very positive spin in the TES here http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storyCode=6133916. I'm assuming it's the educational equivalent of the "broken windows" ciminology policy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory. Personally, I remain unconvinced. The intention behind NUHOPE is good but having a zero-tolerance approach to all "offences" instead of having a sliding scale seems daft. Forgetting a minor piece of equipment or having your shirt untucked is clearly not as serious as, for example, not handing in homework or disrespect to teachers.

Harry

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 03:22:29 PM »
Teachers, and obviously head teachers, are well advised to not live in the area in which their school is located. If they do then they run the risk of being approached by parents whenever they leave the house, be it when they are shopping or even when having an intimate dinner with their partner. The parent will inevitably claim 'I only want a minute of his/her time', but there are hundreds of said parents.

I know of a number of teachers who do live within their schools catchment area, and they never shop locally nor use the local pubs or restaurants.