Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: Where have the 7608 gone????  (Read 25092 times)

Bluezorro

Re: Where have the 7608 gone????
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2013, 12:02:44 AM »
Well i think the fact he and his vice chair had to resign speaks volumes that the commerce forum is not mia in disguise as you probably suspect and members may not have agreed with his views.

wheels

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 11:37:36 PM »
Thats o.k Bluezorro, but at the time the decision was made for the petition not to go to Downing Street. The chairman of the Business forum ( man in dark glasses ) was also the vice chair of MIA, the vice chair of the Business forum was also a prominent member of MIA and also David Hoyle (chairman) of MIA was a previous chairman of the Business forum. Make of that what you will! I know what I make of it :o

From what I hear MBF is in much better hands these days. What a silly idea to present a petition to Downing St.

sooty2

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
Thats o.k Bluezorro, but at the time the decision was made for the petition not to go to Downing Street. The chairman of the Business forum ( man in dark glasses ) was also the vice chair of MIA, the vice chair of the Business forum was also a prominent member of MIA and also David Hoyle (chairman) of MIA was a previous chairman of the Business forum. Make of that what you will! I know what I make of it :o

Bluezorro

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 10:30:07 PM »
Sorry mrs o its my age.
I meant the  business forum.
The chair and vice chair both resigned in summer.
These i believe were prominent members of mia.
The dark glasses gentlemen is assistant chair of mia.

sooty2

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 10:18:46 PM »
Mrs O, according to one of my friends who runs a shop on stockport road.  The MIA petition has nothing to do with the marple business commerce chamber. The gentlemen in dark glasses resigned his chairmanship from the forum over the summer about a difference of views with the other members.  My friend is in favour of a supermarket as it will bring more passing trade up stockport road.
I did not mention Marple Business Commerce Chamber. I know nothing about them. I said Marple Business Forum. They have members active within MIA.

Bluezorro

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 09:21:09 PM »
Mrs O, according to one of my friends who runs a shop on stockport road.  The MIA petition has nothing to do with the marple business commerce chamber. The gentlemen in dark glasses resigned his chairmanship from the forum over the summer about a difference of views with the other members.  My friend is in favour of a supermarket as it will bring more passing trade up stockport road.

wheels

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 08:19:23 PM »
You can also conclude that it is so blindingly obvious what is going to happen at each stage that there is little point making representation. Thats not lazy that just awareness of the process.

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 07:50:10 PM »
Sorry Dave I could resist  :) I think we can safely conclude that 98% are not opposed to it.

I'm not sure we can conclude that either.

I suspect it just means that the vast majority of the population are prepared to let the planning process take its course, without needing to directly input to it. Either that or they are too lazy or too busy to get involved!
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

marplex

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 07:01:08 PM »
Sorry Dave I could resist  :) I think we can safely conclude that 98% are not opposed to it.

Dave

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2013, 06:56:15 PM »
OK, point taken marplex    :-[.  I'll have another go: No-one knows what the majority of Marple residents feel about it.   450 people responded to the planning application - that's less than 2% of the population!  We might infer from that that 98% of residents aren't particularly bothered either way.   Is that better?

marplex

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 06:31:52 PM »
Eaxactly.  No-one knows what the majority of Marple residents feel about it.
The message from that is very clear: 98% of residents aren't particularly bothered either way.

I am confused!!!

Dave

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 04:27:30 PM »
Of the people that have responded to the planning application, the overwhelming majority are against the plans. 

Eaxactly.  We can agree on that.  But that is not at all the same as claiming that the majority of people in Marple are against them.  No-one knows what the majority of Marple residents feel about it.   450 people responded to the planning application - that's less than 2% of the population!  The message from that is very clear: 98% of residents aren't particularly bothered either way.   

wheels

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 03:16:52 PM »
Thank Goodness for MBF then a much more sensible decision

sooty2

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 02:38:50 PM »
I am surprised that as many as 300+ people objected to the ASDA/CAMSFC planning application given the startling collapse in practical support for MIA. (1000+ marching in August 2011, 100+ marching in September  2012). Of course the 2011 march was in those halcyon days when there were no facts and a campaign could be safely influenced by rumours, hyperbole, and falsehoods, those “the size of the supermarket will be the size of six football pitches and don’t let them tell you any different” or “this will involve demolishing the swimming baths” or “our volunteer emergency services personnel will be massively hindered in turning out to emergency calls from the public.. literally lives could be put at risk” days, the days when 85% of the petition signatures were obtained.

Things changed dramatically when the consultation period started and it became necessary to deal with facts. The downscaling of the “petition” presentation from the plan for a ceremony on the steps of 10 Downing Street proudly announced at the SMBC Area Committee meeting last August, and enthusiastically supported by councilors Candler, Wright, and Alexander, to a rather to a more modest event at Stockport with no elected representative appearing in the publicity photo is symptomatic of the problems faced by the campaign when reality inconveniently set in

The founder members of MIA arranged  the presentation of the petition to Downing Street with the full support of Andrew Stunnell. It was hijacked by Marple Business Forum members and presented at Stockport Town Hall for reasons only known to themselves

jethroh65

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 01:15:46 PM »
Jethroh, I take your point about the large number of objections to the planning application, compared with the relatively small number of supporting responses. But that is a different issue. The fact remains that MIA wrote 'the majority of people in Marple oppose that development.' They do not have any evidence to support that claim.
Now that planning permission has been applied for, it is effectively the first time the public have been given the platform to express their  actual responses. MIA & the 'YES' campaign cannot do anymore now.
Given that this is the first opportunity the public has had to effectively vote for or against,there is a significant majority against.
Maybe everyone has been underestimating the well educated folk of Marple.
The people of Marple may not have been influenced by MIA scaremongering or corporate dream picture promised by Walmart.
Have the people of Marple waited for the correct time & place to voice their opinion i.e. when the planning application is submitted ???
We will see.