Landscape Gardening Maintenance Marple & Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Where has Granny gone?  (Read 27857 times)

JMC

Re: Where has Granny gone?
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2013, 03:11:38 PM »
Blockbuster is closing. Stockport branch will stay though. A shame for people who don't use the internet and don't drive though.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 11:28:07 PM »
And the gift shop in Marple http://www.rightbiz.co.uk/buy_business/for_sale/59754_cheshire.html
In fact, Room Eighty-five is NOT for sale. I asked yesterday when I was shopping in there. (I'm nothing if not cheeky!) Apparently the ad is a hangover from when the present proprietor bought it.

wheels

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 02:04:45 PM »
Whats the obsession with a sweet shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marveld

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 02:01:33 PM »
Granny wasn't open at 2 ish when I walked past yesterday but she was when I walked back at 3 ish. My guess is she had opened up for school let out time.

Granny's Shop won't last. The kids have already stuffed their faces with sugar from Spar or Premier by they time to get to Granny's. And then there are 2nd helpings if necessary at the newsagents next to Marple Chippy - also before Granny's. Location, location, location.

the rover

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 10:24:11 AM »
Noticed today that some work is going on in the old Top Class Travel shop! Anybody any ideas about this?

Lily

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 08:30:45 AM »
Granny wasn't open at 2 ish when I walked past yesterday but she was when I walked back at 3 ish. My guess is she had opened up for school let out time.
Mind you, the shop isn't very brightly lit even when she is open so it was only really the 'dreaded A board' that gave it away.

Bluezorro

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 12:05:42 AM »
Come on boys and girls.
Somebody must know where granny has gone.

sgk

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 05:37:21 PM »
The owners look like they are trying to sell the business's as existing business's not just close the shops down and leave. This is different to shops going bust as is the case with the other shops which have closed in Marple. McFees maybe trying to retire. It is very difficult to sell a shop as an existing business, my wife's parents have been trying to sell their newsagents for over 5 years now, their lease means that it can only be operated as a newsagent so all of the Pakistani's who have shown an interest soon walked away when they found out they could no turn it into a convenience store to sell alchol.
That seems to have been a major problem with shops in Marple dating back to MUDC days. First time I heard of it was when the old "Bon Bon" sweetie shop on Church Lane opposite the end of Market Street and I remember my Father saying that was why it wouldn't sell. 

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 05:31:37 PM »
Carpet shop too

http://uk.businessesforsale.com/uk/search/Carpet-and-Flooring-Businesses-for-sale-in-Marple

The same website (type "Marple" into the search) also shows Marple Fish Bar up for sale - that's almost a whole parade of shops at once. But is there a mistake: it appears to show what looks rather like "Trek'nTravel" being listed as a "Fashion Shop and Shoe Shop", albeit with a line of suitcases in the window - see http://uk.businessesforsale.com/uk/Stockport-Fashion-Shop-And-Shoe-Shop-For-Sale.aspx
I would imagine that part of the Fish Bar's problem was that they were very expensive for an F&C shop and that they kept very peculiar hours.

the rover

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 07:41:56 AM »
Exactly!

Duke Fame

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 10:11:09 PM »
The point I was trying to make was that a shop's lease (if privately owned) might state what sort of business can be run from that shop as is the case of my wife's parents shop. When they took the business on over 25 years ago they thought they would have no problem selling it when they wanted to retire over 5 years ago.

i know what you are saying, broadening it out, selling a single shop as a going concern basically has no value.

the rover

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 07:02:01 PM »
The point I was trying to make was that a shop's lease (if privately owned) might state what sort of business can be run from that shop as is the case of my wife's parents shop. When they took the business on over 25 years ago they thought they would have no problem selling it when they wanted to retire over 5 years ago.

Duke Fame

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 05:28:08 PM »
The owners look like they are trying to sell the business's as existing business's not just close the shops down and leave. This is different to shops going bust as is the case with the other shops which have closed in Marple. McFees maybe trying to retire. It is very difficult to sell a shop as an existing business, my wife's parents have been trying to sell their newsagents for over 5 years now, their lease means that it can only be operated as a newsagent so all of the Pakistani's who have shown an interest soon walked away when they found out they could no turn it into a convenience store to sell alchol.

Selling a business as a going concern when there is little in the way of goodwill so actually pass on is always going to be difficult. If someone wants to set up a newsagent, they can do so at any of the empty premises and in most cases, sell other items too.  Newspaper deliveries are not particually lucretive either so the customer book is pretty much worthless.

the rover

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 02:22:36 PM »