Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: Where has Granny gone?  (Read 27855 times)

Barbara

Re: Where has Granny gone?
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2013, 08:38:47 AM »
Excuse my ignorance - but where is 'the cattle yard'.  Not heard of that before.  :)

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2013, 02:24:35 AM »
But space has an economic value you cannot expect the council or anyone else to provide their space free to people
But the parking charges in Hyde are extortionate and they now charge Blue Badge holders for parking. At least in Marple the charges on the carparks which do charge are very low, there is a free (if small) carpark on the cattle yard, free parking at the Co-op and there is also on-street parking within very short walking distance of the village centre.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2013, 02:19:21 AM »
I'm afraid that, if Hyde is anything to go by, ASDA will see off more than it saves.

I didn't even know that there was an Asda in Hyde, a Morrisons yes which I have used on a few occasions. Where is the Asda?
On the site of the old Greenfield Primary School - behind the Town Hall.

Duke Fame

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2013, 11:41:01 AM »
But space has an economic value you cannot expect the council or anyone else to provide their space free to people

But the council charges business rates to business and council tax to the people, is it not par of the service?

Clearly, the parking space has little economic value or certainly a value less than that being charged as otherwise, it would not deter parking.

wheels

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2013, 11:02:39 AM »

Razzle

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 09:13:57 AM »
Asda has been in Hyde for years and has not contributed to its decline.  In fact a lot of people park at Asda and then walk into Hyde to do some shopping.

The decline of Hyde has been aided by the council deciding to charge for parking all the time. When the upper levels of the multistory car park were free, the car park was full all the time.  - now it is empty.  If you talk to the indoor market traders this change in policy has really affected their businesses.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 07:26:23 AM »
I didn't even know that there was an Asda in Hyde, a Morrisons yes which I have used on a few occasions. Where is the Asda?

Behind the town hall.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

the rover

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 07:08:56 AM »
I'm afraid that, if Hyde is anything to go by, ASDA will see off more than it saves.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 11:39:34 PM »
Yes it was on the window. Was very busy today with people looking for a bargain. The staff said they expect to close within two weeks. I use it a fair amount and it is a shame to see it go :(

Another empty shop . Glad when Asda comes .before a lot more close .

JMC

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2013, 12:41:33 PM »
Yes but you have to go out of the area .we don't want that .

Agree with this. Will only lead to people using shops in other areas or the internet. Less footfall for Marple.

JMC

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2013, 10:27:26 PM »

Yes we need to encourage businesses here not fear them. If it helps people stay local it can only be a good thing as they will then use other local shops. I use a mix of Marple shops and Stockport. But if Asda were here I would probably do all shopping in Marple.

amazon

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2013, 09:07:09 PM »
Yes it was on the window. Was very busy today with people looking for a bargain. The staff said they expect to close within two weeks. I use it a fair amount and it is a shame to see it go :(

JMC

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2013, 08:59:45 PM »

amazon

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2013, 08:42:19 PM »
Blockbuster is closing. Stockport branch will stay though. A shame for people who don't use the internet and don't drive though.

I see the BBC say 129 stores are closing. Have you seen a list listing the closure of the Marple store?????

Don't know why I am asking really have never been in a Blockbuster in my life.

Says on the window store closing .down every thing reduced .

wheels

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2013, 05:56:35 PM »
Blockbuster is closing. Stockport branch will stay though. A shame for people who don't use the internet and don't drive though.

I see the BBC say 129 stores are closing. Have you seen a list listing the closure of the Marple store?????

Don't know why I am asking really have never been in a Blockbuster in my life.