Marple Blasting Services | Blast Cleaning Stockport

Author Topic: Butchers of Marple  (Read 7954 times)

RAY NOBLE

Re: Butchers of Marple
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 06:54:26 AM »
The name was Brindley opposite Brindley Avenue. Ray.

the rover

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 01:41:52 PM »
  In the 1940/50 visiting my grandparent on Turner Road we went along the path from Church lane to Turner Road we called it "going through the barn" their was also a farm house and two cottages  facing Hibert Lane. At the same time on the corner of Church Lane and Highfield Avenue their was a Grocers shop called Brindley's it was at the bottom end of the row of terraced house built by the co-op for there work force. Ray

When I went to Rose Hill school in the 1950's, my school friend lived in the Grocers shop on the corner of Highfield Avenue and Church Lane, his parents ran it but I don't remember if their name was Brindley or not.

Sophiebaguley

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 11:59:52 PM »
Hi,

Not sure if this helps but my parents live on hibbert lane (exactly opposite the vets) and when they signed for the house there was something in the contract that said they must not sell meat at the house as it used to be a butchers and for some reason are not allowed to sell meat there. I have searched for years trying to find pictures of their house when it was a butchers but haven't found any at all. I haven't even seen any pictures of the house. Hope that helps

Sophie

Brindley

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 09:25:29 PM »
Thanks Ray,
The Brindley's in the 1800's were grocers/provision dealers and flour/corn dealers as well as Thomas Brindley being a butcher.
The Brindley's grocer of 1940/50s may well have been descendants of the same family, especially as they were in close proximity, it would be nice to find out, eventually.
I have the Will of a Thomas Brindley, butcher of Marple, who died in the first decade of the 1800's, I have still to find a connection with him as our Thomas Brindley was born, Marple, 1799.
Obviously Brindley's of the Staffordshire moorlands were drawn to, and thrived, in Marple during the Industrial Revolution, perhaps a good example of Oldknows immigrant workforce.

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 04:35:58 PM »
  In the 1940/50 visiting my grandparent on Turner Road we went along the path from Church lane to Turner Road we called it "going through the barn" their was also a farm house and two cottages  facing Hibert Lane. At the same time on the corner of Church Lane and Highfield Avenue their was a Grocers shop called Brindley's it was at the bottom end of the row of terraced house built by the co-op for there work force. Ray

Brindley

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 01:13:44 PM »
Thanks Henrietta,
That is most likely where Thomas Brindley's shop was.
Thomas was a Butcher in the 1830's so may have ran this shop before he let it to Joseph Taylor in the 1840/50's.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 04:19:23 PM »
Hello,
My ancestor Thomas Brindley had houses and a Butchers shop on the corner of Hibbert lane and Church lane in the 1840-50's. In 1850 the shop and houses were occupied by the butcher, Joseph Taylor but still owned by Thomas Brindley.
I wondered if anyone knows if this may once have been the butchers shop of A. Pickles, Family Butcher, Church Lane of 1907. This is from the virtual tour photos.
Thanks,
Noel
Interesting. My father always called what is now the carpark on the corner of Church Lane and Hibbert Lane (next to the vet's) the Cattle Yard. I always thought it was to do with Littlewoods who had a small slaughter house at the old shop but it probably harks back further than that to your Ancestor's shop.

Brindley

Butchers of Marple
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 01:04:11 PM »
Hello,
My ancestor Thomas Brindley had houses and a Butchers shop on the corner of Hibbert lane and Church lane in the 1840-50's. In 1850 the shop and houses were occupied by the butcher, Joseph Taylor but still owned by Thomas Brindley.
I wondered if anyone knows if this may once have been the butchers shop of A. Pickles, Family Butcher, Church Lane of 1907. This is from the virtual tour photos.
Thanks,
Noel