Landscape Gardening Maintenance Marple & Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Is 20 Plenty? (split from Police Commissioner Thread)  (Read 5226 times)

Dave

Re: Is 20 Plenty? (split from Police Commissioner Thread)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 10:25:24 AM »
Now it seems to me Dave that I have gone out and sought the answers to questions which I consider to be impotant in these election and based on my knowledge of each of the parties have reached a decision. Have a I done something wrong in your eyes.

Of course not - what an odd thing to suggest! 

Regarding the candidates' responses to wheels' question, they confirm what I pointed out, which is that all the candidates will say they are committed to reducing accidents - it's like asking them whether they believe in 'motherhood and apple pie' - you would hardly expect them to say they don't!  As for the specific issue of '20's plenty', that is something for local authorities, not the police, whose job is to enforce laws, not to make them. 

wheels

Is 20 Plenty? (split from Police Commissioner Thread)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 09:06:25 PM »
Because I don't believe for a moment that only one political party would want to reduce pedestrian and cycling accidents, and I'm amazed that anyone would believe such a thing!

Dave I contacted all the candidates for Police & Crime Commissioner for Greater Manchester and invited them to answer the following question which were later raised at the PCC hustings held on 6th November:

Greater Manchester is a dangerous place to walk and cycle. In 2010 54% of killed and seriously injured road casualties in the conurbation were pedestrians or cyclists - the highest in the UK. Do you support 20mph as the default speed limit in residential areas to improve the safety of all road users, including motorists?  Do you agree 20’s Plenty where People Live?

REPLIES

Matt Gallagher  (Liberal Democrat candidate) :

I have been campaigning on behalf of the 20's Plenty campaign for some time. Earlier this year, Rod King, (Founder of the 20's Plenty For Us Campaign) and I held talks with Assistant Chief Constable Terry Sweeney of Greater Manchester Police on how the police could work with us to help implement the scheme in Manchester. I am firmly committed to this improvement in road safety and if elected, will work towards persuading local authorities across Greater Manchester of its benefits.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony Lloyd (Labour Candidate):

I am sympathetic to the progressive rolling out of 20 mph zones but I do think this has to be decided at a local level. Unless the Government legislates a blanket change the change would need to be progressive to make sure there is a legal basis and capacity to enforce the limit. I think you would agree that failure to enforce limits is every bit as important for determining speed as any limit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Winstanley (Conservative Candidate):

I agree that we do need to reduce accidents on our roads and the death toll. However I don't agree with a default position of 20 mphs. I think that each case needs to be look at on it merits. If elected I will work with each Local Authority to ensure that we put effective measures in place to reduce the accidents on our roads.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the PCC hustings the UKIP candidate, Stephen Marcus Woolfe adopted the minimalist attitude of Tony Lloyd and Michael Winstanley.

The independent candidate Roy Warren has not replied to my email and was absent from the hustings due to ill health.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now it seems to me Dave that I have gone out and sought the answers to questions which I consider to be impotant in these election and based on my knowledge of each of the parties have reached a decision. Have a I done something wrong in your eyes.