Landscape Gardening Maintenance Marple & Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Re: Where's the Library?  (Read 5085 times)

wheels

Re: Where's the Library?
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 09:34:04 AM »
Is that why wheels is so sarcastic on here then. Not having broadband and  having to accompany you to the library.?

Are you trying to suggest there is something between us bluezorro?????? Man and woman canot live by broadband alone

Bluezorro

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 07:32:42 AM »
Is that why wheels is so sarcastic on here then. Not having broadband and  having to accompany you to the library.?

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 05:43:53 AM »
what difficult circumstances do librarians work in? Silence?

Duke - IF ONLY!! I don't often use Marple Library, but at times it can be a little noisy with a children's reading area downstairs and meetings upstairs. They make the most of the building, so it's no place to Sssschhh anyone!  ;)
A little noisy!! That has to be the understatement of the year, if not the decade! Children running around screaming (and playing with football in the junior section one day recently!!!), adults, including the staff, holding conversations in voices which could be heard in the Co-op on a clear day and the shear stupidity of a design that sucks the noise up into the computer area where people are trying to work. I've been in there a lot over the last few months as I've been without a broadband connection at home and it's been hell on wheels at certain times of the day and in school holidays.

Duke Fame

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 06:43:42 PM »
Duke,the staff at marple library have to covewr 4 other libraries,there is less staff and they provide the same service with a cheery smile,try the library you might enjoy it :D

As I say, I didn't comment on the staff, Dave seems to have appointed himself as my spokesman.

Duke Fame

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 06:42:03 PM »
Duke, I was in the Library last Friday at 7.50pm so there must be some time when you could get there, if you actually wanted too. Now that's what you get when a service is state provided good hard working staff providing a service as determined by locally elected politicans. The market would determin that no such service be provided.

That's why its about time the business community started contributing a reasonable amount as business rate and that it be determined and retained locally, which is actually the real debate.

You see, I was in the office at 8pm, not everyone has it easy and works part time hours. You look like you need a library more than me for your misuse of the word "too" - schoolboy stuff.

I entirely agree, a Library (in the past) was a classic case of market failure and the state should step in. The future perhaps is less certain, with the cost of media & the word at an all time low, it may be cheaper to look at different ways of supplying library services.

I entirely agree that it is time businesses pay a reasonable rate that is set and determined locally. I know the current coalition are looking at this and it's a slow step in the right direction. For the past 15 years, businesses have been raped by government by way of rates as businesses do not vote so can be abused without anyone hearing the screams. Presently, we have a situation where business must pay regardless of success, local government gets it's money regardless of success. It will be better to reduce the business tax to a reasonable level which is based of profitability  and give the local authority incentives to have a successful business in their local - presently, having a successful business in their area isn't important to the local authority and for some, they try to destroy business. Local taxation will also bring in competition where efficient authorities will be attractive for businesses and the expensive authorities will see us moving away. Mind you, Manchester would be empty in no time if they persist with the current clowns.

bat man

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 06:23:15 PM »
Sorry about my last post,didnt use spell checker.....

bat man

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 06:22:28 PM »
Duke,the staff at marple library have to covewr 4 other libraries,there is less staff and they provide the same service with a cheery smile,try the library you might enjoy it :D

wheels

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 06:16:14 PM »
Duke, I was in the Library last Friday at 7.50pm so there must be some time when you could get there, if you actually wanted too. Now that's what you get when a service is state provided good hard working staff providing a service as determined by locally elected politicans. The market would determin that no such service be provided.

That's why its about time the business community started contributing a reasonable amount as business rate and that it be determined and retained locally, which is actually the real debate.

marveld

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 06:06:54 PM »
what difficult circumstances do librarians work in? Silence?

Duke - IF ONLY!! I don't often use Marple Library, but at times it can be a little noisy with a children's reading area downstairs and meetings upstairs. They make the most of the building, so it's no place to Sssschhh anyone!  ;)

Duke Fame

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 05:19:49 PM »
I take it duke doesn't use the Library if that is his opinion,if he did use it he would see how lovely the staff are and what an excellent service it provides,if this is not Dukes opinion apologies,things like this shouldn't be said in jest,the staff work very hard in difficult circumstances :)

I don't know what my opinion is, you'd better ask Dave, he knows best.

I don't use the library as I didn't know it was there although it's not open when I'm about. I suppose Libraries are going to see a bit of a change in the next few years as with the exception of academic libraries it will be cheaper ot replace them with Kindles. Genuine question BatMan, what difficult circumstances do librarians work in? Silence?

bat man

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 04:22:26 PM »
I take it duke doesn't use the Library if that is his opinion,if he did use it he would see how lovely the staff are and what an excellent service it provides,if this is not Dukes opinion apologies,things like this shouldn't be said in jest,the staff work very hard in difficult circumstances :)

Susan

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 03:41:33 PM »
Thank you

Tricky

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 11:14:22 AM »
meh

Lily

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 10:39:19 AM »
I did wonder whether Duke was 'pulling our legs' but answered his question for the benefit of anyone who may not know.

To answer your question, Susan, there may be a sign for the library/police station/toilets near the entrance to the car park, on the main road.

Susan

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 09:13:14 AM »
I know Duke is taking the mick, but out of interest is there any signs to say where the library is, for people moving in to the area.