Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: A6 to Manchester Airport Relief Road  (Read 20680 times)

ringi

Re: A6 to Manchester Airport Relief Road
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2012, 08:46:52 PM »
Out of your list, shopping, meal, clubbing, connect with other trains, can all be done at last as well in Manchester then Stockport and we already have a good trains service to Manchester.    Visit to friends and family would only be helped by a service to Stockport if the friends or family lived closed to Stockport station.

Travelling to work is only one of the many reasons why people use trains. They go shopping, they visit friends and family, they go out for a meal or a drink, they go clubbing, they connect with other trains etc etc.

wheels

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2012, 03:14:33 PM »
Travelling to work is only one of the many reasons why people use trains. They go shopping, they visit friends and family, they go out for a meal or a drink, they go clubbing, they connect with other trains etc etc.

Were in agreement again - so worrying

Dave

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 03:08:34 PM »

ringi

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 02:27:04 PM »
To cover the running costs of a rail line you need many hundreds of people using it each day.   I don’t believe that many people live in Marple and work close enough to Stockport station for a train link to be a good solution.

Someone that works in the centre of Stockport would not have chosen to live in Marple in the first place

Tell that to the hundreds (perhaps thousands) of people who live in Marple and work in Stockport.  ::)

wheels

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 12:39:17 PM »
And all the people who live n Stockport and come to work in Marple each day

Dave

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 12:31:26 PM »
Someone that works in the centre of Stockport would not have chosen to live in Marple in the first place

Tell that to the hundreds (perhaps thousands) of people who live in Marple and work in Stockport.  ::)

bluebelly

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 11:38:57 AM »
More cycle lanes noooooo

wheels

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 11:32:14 AM »
I fail to understand way anyone wishes to get the train from Marple to Stockport.  Someone that works in the centre of Stockport would not have chosen to live in Marple in the first place and there is very little in the centre of Stockport that is not in Manchester.

I see the public transport issues as being more the poor links from Marple to location like Stepping Hill Hospital along with local offices and other places of work.   Getting a train to Stockport station then having to change to other transport does not seem like a good solution to me.

I think a dedicated 24h bus line on the A6 with a dedicated bus link to Marple, so the buses are quick and dependable would be a more useful option.    Having a cycle way of the quality they build in the Netherlands joining Marple with the A6 would also be great, see http://www.aviewfromthecyclepath.com/ to lean how cycle ways should be built.

A vast number of people travel to Stockport each day for work day for work or for shopping and a rail link would be invaluable to Marple. I do agree about a dedicated bus/cycle lane on the A6 but that battle was fought and last a number of years ago sadly

ringi

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 10:49:49 AM »
I fail to understand way anyone wishes to get the train from Marple to Stockport.  Someone that works in the centre of Stockport would not have chosen to live in Marple in the first place and there is very little in the centre of Stockport that is not in Manchester.

I see the public transport issues as being more the poor links from Marple to location like Stepping Hill Hospital along with local offices and other places of work.   Getting a train to Stockport station then having to change to other transport does not seem like a good solution to me.

I think a dedicated 24h bus line on the A6 with a dedicated bus link to Marple, so the buses are quick and dependable would be a more useful option.    Having a cycle way of the quality they build in the Netherlands joining Marple with the A6 would also be great, see http://www.aviewfromthecyclepath.com/ to lean how cycle ways should be built.

Dave

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 10:08:32 AM »
Agreed, wheels.  It's a no-brainer, and I don't know why it isn't being seriously considered.  It would provide a direct rail service to Stockport from Marple/Rose Hill, Romiley, Bredbury and Brinnington, and these trains would also call at a re-opened Reddish South.  There's a local campaign to re-open Reddish South, and there's even a 'Friends of Reddish South' organisation!  http://reddish.dsracing.me.uk/

It looks a roundabout route on the map, but the journey times would be perfectly acceptable:  about 15 minutes from Marple or Rose Hill to Stockport station. 

A few years ago I attempted to persuade our MP Andrew Stunnell that it would be a good idea to back this plan, but he wasn't interested, sadly (but predictably).  (When can we have an MP with a bit of vision   ???

wheels

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 09:31:34 AM »
To put in the Reddish loop would certainly be the cheapest and most effective way of creating a rail service to Stockport.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 05:21:26 AM »
From the previous reply:-"Agree with you Amazon, something needs to be done the traffic from Marple, Romiley, Bredbury etc is just hideous in the rush 2-3 hours morning and evening."

I agree, the cheapest option would be to build a cable car from Marple station > rose Hill > to Stockport rail station wich will take a lot of traffic. Close Rose Hill station and sell the land to pay for it.

If I had the cash, I'd do it but I'm a bit short .
I seem to remember that way back in the dim and distant past there was a move afoot to reopen a rail link between Marple or Rosehill (can't remember which) to Stockport. It died the death sadly but it would have solved a lot of the early morning chaos on Stockport Road.

wheels

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 03:35:46 PM »
Does anybody else take exception to the intrusive personal questions included on questionnaire recently received?  What on earth relevance is my sexual orientation to do with my opinions on the route of the road?  >:(

Totally agree and I have made the same point as well elsewhere

Barbara

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 02:55:20 PM »
Does anybody else take exception to the intrusive personal questions included on questionnaire recently received?  What on earth relevance is my sexual orientation to do with my opinions on the route of the road?  >:(

Duke Fame

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 01:51:01 PM »
From the previous reply:-"Agree with you Amazon, something needs to be done the traffic from Marple, Romiley, Bredbury etc is just hideous in the rush 2-3 hours morning and evening."

I agree, the cheapest option would be to build a cable car from Marple station > rose Hill > to Stockport rail station wich will take a lot of traffic. Close Rose Hill station and sell the land to pay for it.

If I had the cash, I'd do it but I'm a bit short .