Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Author Topic: Speculation about which Supermarket it might be  (Read 57896 times)

Bluezorro

Re: Speculation about which Supermarket it might be
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2013, 11:52:11 PM »
"As part of the plans, Kirkland is proposing an attractive seating area/beer garden to the rear of the Bull's Head pub"

I bet waitrose would love the patrons of the bull sitting outside the posh new supermarket entrance.

Duke Fame

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2013, 11:11:31 PM »
Only just noticed that the architects on the plans are Fairhursts, whose only previous supermarket scheme appears to have been for, wait for it... http://www.fairhursts.com/projectsStageThree.php?id=63
if

If waitrose come will make the coop look cheap .

If waitrose come it will make the Peruga look cheap

Bluezorro

« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2013, 10:08:36 PM »
Asda will still come where?

amazon

« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2013, 08:23:45 PM »
That's interesting, RSH. I think the developer Kirkland has already struck a deal with one of the supermarkets (depending on planning permission being granted). Kirklands have made a huge investment in site surveys, liaison with council planners, architects' drawings, videos, leaflet production/distribution, consultation/exhibition costs etc - this will already have run into six figures I am sure. Does Kirklands have the financial resources to do that without financial backing from one of the supermarkets? Would a bank advance that sort of money to Kirklands without a commitment from a supermarket in place?
In a previous posting, clues to the likely supermarket behind the Chadwick Street plans were discussed. Kirkland developed a supermarket in Bury or Bolton for Aldi relatively recently. The first Kirkland press release was issued for them by Lexington Communications which provides lobbying services to Tesco. The Kirkland Developments leaflet distributed to residents used the typeface and green colouring that closely matches that used by Waitrose. Now RSH reveals that Fairhursts were also architects for a another Waitrose development. Let the speculation (and detective work) continue!

I still think ASDA will come .

guy

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2013, 06:38:31 PM »
That's interesting, RSH. I think the developer Kirkland has already struck a deal with one of the supermarkets (depending on planning permission being granted). Kirklands have made a huge investment in site surveys, liaison with council planners, architects' drawings, videos, leaflet production/distribution, consultation/exhibition costs etc - this will already have run into six figures I am sure. Does Kirklands have the financial resources to do that without financial backing from one of the supermarkets? Would a bank advance that sort of money to Kirklands without a commitment from a supermarket in place?
In a previous posting, clues to the likely supermarket behind the Chadwick Street plans were discussed. Kirkland developed a supermarket in Bury or Bolton for Aldi relatively recently. The first Kirkland press release was issued for them by Lexington Communications which provides lobbying services to Tesco. The Kirkland Developments leaflet distributed to residents used the typeface and green colouring that closely matches that used by Waitrose. Now RSH reveals that Fairhursts were also architects for a another Waitrose development. Let the speculation (and detective work) continue!

amazon

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2013, 05:09:52 PM »
Only just noticed that the architects on the plans are Fairhursts, whose only previous supermarket scheme appears to have been for, wait for it... http://www.fairhursts.com/projectsStageThree.php?id=63
if

If waitrose come will make the coop look cheap .

rsh

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2013, 05:05:30 PM »

rsh

« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2012, 07:58:24 PM »
Just a thought. Is there any way it could be two smaller retailers within one unit? Maybe Waitrose and Aldi for example?

There is the facility for two outlets in the Kirkland Design one large and one small - although the smaller one could possibly be on two floors - this was one of the things explained to me by the architect when I went to the consultation.
Two floors - almost sounds like it'd make a restaurant or cafe unit, perhaps?

There's no way two competing food retailers would take units next to each other here, and I still can't see it being an Aldi as it would surely only cannibalise their sales from Hazel Grove and Romiley (and in future Offerton), for the cost of a very expensive development with the rooftop car park. For Waitrose it'd be an absolute winner; just as people want a cheaper supermarket like Asda, there's plenty of affluence in Marple which also surely doesn't shop at the Co-op (where prices are similar yet quality, service and range are rather sub-standard). They'd make a strong "anchor" for the town centre and hopefully offset any negative pull from Asda.

Maria

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2012, 01:45:23 PM »
JMC I agree, an ALDI would be perfect and would provide competition as against the Co-op.

I would not really like a Waitrose and do not see how it would benefit the vast majority of Marple residents.

JMC

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2012, 09:44:36 AM »
There is the facility for two outlets in the Kirkland Design one large and one small - although the smaller one could possibly be on two floors - this was one of the things explained to me by the architect when I went to the consultation.

Thank you, that is interesting. It would be disappointing if both were expensive stores such as M&S and Waitrose. We need a cheaper store such as Aldi or Asda to compete with the Co-op and help Marple's lower income residents. I heard that Aldi was definately a non contender but not sure if that is a rumour or fact.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2012, 09:24:50 PM »
Just a thought. Is there any way it could be two smaller retailers within one unit? Maybe Waitrose and Aldi for example?

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Bluezorro

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2012, 09:16:46 PM »
I think kirkland are playing games.
A waitrose at chadwick street would still be viable even if  asda opened on hibbert lane.

JMC

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2012, 04:48:06 PM »

JMC

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2012, 04:46:50 PM »
I asked Kirkland that question at their consultation event and they stated that if planning permission was given for Hibbert Lane then no one would be interested in developing Chadwick St car park. So the answer is we will get one or the other but not both.
As for which Supermarket, @ 26,000 sq ft it would make it the biggest Waitrose in the North West, so not likely and it is too big for M&S or Aldi. That only leaves Sainsbury's, Morrisons or Tesco. As Tesco were interested in the Hibbert Lane site I'd put my money on Tesco or as an outside bet ASDA, but then I'm not a betting man.

Thanks Victor, that is very interesting.

Victor M

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2012, 04:25:30 PM »
Does anyone think we will end up with a supermarket on both sites?

I asked Kirkland that question at their consultation event and they stated that if planning permission was given for Hibbert Lane then no one would be interested in developing Chadwick St car park. So the answer is we will get one or the other but not both.

As for which Supermarket, @ 26,000 sq ft it would make it the biggest Waitrose in the North West, so not likely and it is too big for M&S or Aldi. That only leaves Sainsbury's, Morrisons or Tesco. As Tesco were interested in the Hibbert Lane site I'd put my money on Tesco or as an outside bet ASDA, but then I'm not a betting man.