Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: Any experience of using Gypsum on the local clay.  (Read 2578 times)

moorendman

Re: Any experience of using Gypsum on the local clay.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 09:38:17 AM »
Although liming the a clay soil can improve the structure by forming clumps, the proimary use of lime is to raise the PH of the soil from acid to alkaline to help grow certain plants and veg. ( Brassicas like slightly alkaline soils for instance ) Most of the clay soils around Marple and Mellor are extremely dense "Boulder Clay" from glacial deposits and are  in some cases, almost a geological formation rather than a soil. I would also test the PH of the soil with an inexpensive kit first as clay soils can be alkaline to begin with.

As Mr Myers suggests, a combination of manure and double digging is the best solution , although you will have to work hard to  see resulst. It takes time. Add as much organic material as you can , you don't have to dig it in much as natural processes and worms etc will do it for you. Empty pots , old growbags, compost staright on to your beds.

A word of warning , dont lime and manure at the same time , lime raects with the nitogen in manure and you will lose any benefits. They cancel each other out. apply lime in the winter and manure in the spring.

David myers

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 06:53:08 PM »
Try double digging and incorporating large amounts of manure and lime, or install a drainage system.

Hope this leads to improvement, though given the recent summer nothing will make a great difference ;D

ringi

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 09:17:48 AM »

Ask google .or Jeeves .

Tried that, but they say it works with the “right type of clay”.

amazon

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 06:54:49 PM »
I know that Gypsum will make some types of clay soil from clamps so improving the drainage.   Does anyone know if it works with clay in Marple?

(I am also going to add lots of compost!)

Ask google .or Jeeves .

ringi

Any experience of using Gypsum on the local clay.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 04:35:06 PM »
I know that Gypsum will make some types of clay soil from clamps so improving the drainage.   Does anyone know if it works with clay in Marple?

(I am also going to add lots of compost!)