Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: Dan Bank Local History Lost  (Read 1571 times)

David myers

Re: Dan Bank Local History Lost
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 06:49:30 PM »
I couldn't agree more but as we know, this is typical of SMBC, look at the case history for Marple Hall, Brabyns Hall and lucky to escape the destruction was the Iron Bridge with special thanks to Mr W!!

It was a well known haunt of Marple Hall pupils over the years, myself included!! :'(

Hoots2

Dan Bank Local History Lost
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 10:09:26 PM »
I know we all had strong opinions about the work on Dan Bank last year, and I for one think the finished result looks really good but...............
Is it just me but I remember a massive outcry at the time, about the arch stones with round holes in the top and they have been saved as a part of local history.
This is excellent news and a big thumbs up, to those who took the time to ensure that were preserved.
However what seems to have gone totally unnoticed is the destruction of the WW2 pill box at the top of Dan Bank.
For those who never visited it it used to stand behind the bus stop at the top of Dan Bank on the left heading for Stockport (now where the green fenced area is that the contractors used as storage).
This box had stood there since 1941 when it was constructed as part of the home defence line in case of invasion.
I know it's too late now but it seems such a shame that a piece of local history has just been lost with no outcry or action.
But hey must admit I never missed it !!!