Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Bike Shop closing  (Read 6254 times)

Bluezorro

Re: Bike Shop closing
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 08:12:05 PM »
Saw you outside the bankrupt bankrupt shop

wheels

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 05:01:17 PM »
Must get on  the vulture machine and get down to HMV and Blockbuster. It really has been a bsy time for us vultures since Christmas.

Duke Fame

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 08:45:48 AM »
Now am I not surprised that your into selling cheap rubbish Duke. What business sense the small businessman has or at least as represented by Duke.

Duke I can only speak of the small business's I use in Marple, the Bike Shop provided excellent service and is a loss. Paul Jones the builder is outstanding both recognise that the customer comes first and also provide an excellent product. You seel to have a different approach.

I was under the impression you dislike all businesses.

I'm of the opinion that the best businesses sell what their customer demands. That can be very much the demand for cheap rubbish. I sused John Lewis as an example as most of us associate them with a little quality but i had th emisfortune to visit for the sale and realised they ship in a whole load of cheap rubbish under the banner of 'clearance' and of course people were buying it.

Given that the Bike Shop was a 2nd outlet for the Wills, the previous poster wondered why they needed a closing down sale at all when the obvious thing woul dbe to simply move stock back to Heaton Chapel. I was only looking for logical answers, i.e. perhaps they were getting rid of real redundant stock and using the interest created by a closing down sale to move that stock on.

I'm sorry if you got the wrong end of the stick but i was under the impression that you had only used the shop to make the most of the closing down bargains as opposed to being a regular customer.

There is of course a serious point, the shop should have done well as Marple enjoys a good number of cyclists and cycling visitors but I'm guessing the numbers simply didn't to it for them. When a shop that was highly regarded cannot compete, it's time to look at the additional and unsessary costs that are heaped onto a retailer and give the retailers a helping hand.

wheels

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 12:00:59 AM »
Now am I not surprised that your into selling cheap rubbish Duke. What business sense the small businessman has or at least as represented by Duke.

Duke I can only speak of the small business's I use in Marple, the Bike Shop provided excellent service and is a loss. Paul Jones the builder is outstanding both recognise that the customer comes first and also provide an excellent product. You seel to have a different approach.

Tricky

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 11:05:16 PM »
Vultures?

really Duke?

Is that insult aimed at anybody who buys something for other than full retail price? or just wheels?

meh

Duke Fame

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 10:55:15 PM »
Why was there any need to sell the stock off cheap?

I'm not so sure as they had the Will's shop in any case. If I were them, I'd have used the 'closing down' sale an opportunity to get rid of the stuff that had been dormant in both shops so still keeping the full price for the premium items in Will's or even do a John Lewis and bring in some cheap rubbish to make a decent margin on from vultures like wheels. 

Bluezorro

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 06:19:28 PM »
Why was there any need to sell the stock off cheap?

amazon

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 03:08:21 PM »
I too am sorry to see the Bike Shop go it will be a real lost to the retail mix of the Marple suburb.

Mind you I did love the final weeks retailing there with 50% off and 30% off bikes.

Heaven

I think that shows the problem, those prices will still be more than the internet for some bikes.   A local bike shop can’t make money selling bikes, but yet we all want a local bike shop when we need a repair done.

Indeed, a bricks & Mortar shop adds around £17,000 to a small business' overhead + a salary that's before someone like wheels wants to tax them for having an A board. Landlords and moreover councils are raping small businesses until they go out of business.  Why offer all the service etc to the likes of Wheels when he then goes onto the internet to buy or hovers like a vulture for businesses that are closing down. Sadly, it's far easier to get a nice little safe 35 hr a week job at the local council and sell bike gear on the internet, and keep the stock in the garage. 

The likes of Wheels can wish for the demise of businesses all they like but they will see what they are missing when their Utopia is achieved.

If Asda ever come to marple it's not them that will close shops its the councillor with there high rates as is proving already ..

Duke Fame

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 02:10:22 PM »
I too am sorry to see the Bike Shop go it will be a real lost to the retail mix of the Marple suburb.

Mind you I did love the final weeks retailing there with 50% off and 30% off bikes.

Heaven

I think that shows the problem, those prices will still be more than the internet for some bikes.   A local bike shop can’t make money selling bikes, but yet we all want a local bike shop when we need a repair done.

Indeed, a bricks & Mortar shop adds around £17,000 to a small business' overhead + a salary that's before someone like wheels wants to tax them for having an A board. Landlords and moreover councils are raping small businesses until they go out of business.  Why offer all the service etc to the likes of Wheels when he then goes onto the internet to buy or hovers like a vulture for businesses that are closing down. Sadly, it's far easier to get a nice little safe 35 hr a week job at the local council and sell bike gear on the internet, and keep the stock in the garage. 

The likes of Wheels can wish for the demise of businesses all they like but they will see what they are missing when their Utopia is achieved.

ringi

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 12:38:09 PM »

Heaven

wheels

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 10:18:34 AM »

Heaven

Bluezorro

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 06:52:39 PM »
The old shops a 'rag and bone' shop already.
Sign is up.

Blossom

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 07:25:31 PM »
I am so glad they are not closing down due to the business failing.  Wishing the owner lots of success in his new job.

wadsterboy

Bike Shop closing
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 09:33:56 AM »
As a newbie to Marple and a cyclist, I noticed the Bike Shop is closing down today (Sat 22). I popped in Thursday and everything is 50% off, except bikes and wheels. Picked up a few tools and bits while I was in there, but stock was thinning out.

Seems business was absolutely fine, but the chap who runs it has got a new job for British Cycling, looking after the bikes for the British Paralympic Team and there is no-one else to run the shop - so good news for him, but less good news for the cyclists of Marple! Still, good news that the business was sustainable.