Wealth Management | S&T Wealth provide portfolio & investment advice

Author Topic: Calling All Computer Programmers!  (Read 6275 times)

Liz

Re: Calling All Computer Programmers!
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 12:23:34 PM »
Mellor School Code Club now officially registered! 

sgk

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 04:05:57 PM »
First meeting of Mellor+Marple Code Club volunteers took place this week, good turnout and plenty of interest from multiple local schools.  Just need to all learn a bit of Scratch now, in readiness.

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 09:07:44 PM »
Hi Liz... Its been a bit frantic with PTA stuff this week but will try tomorrow or thursday. 

Liz

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 12:21:46 PM »
Just had a really positive meeting with head of Mellor Primary re setting up after-school Code Club.  How are you getting on at Ludworth?

Howard

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 11:55:50 AM »
As promised, any posts showing off people's dormant (or current!) programming skills have been moved here http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=4514.0. Let's keep this thread for the actual topic of setting up of local Code Clubs.

Liz

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 10:15:20 AM »
Thanks, Liz.  Let me know how you get on at your school.  Ludworth?  I'm seeing our Head at Mellor on Monday.  Then perhaps we should all get-together for a chat in a pub - mutual support, share ideas.
Meanwhile, I wrote an appeal for volunteers in Manchester Digital and that's getting a lot of RTs on Twitter so maybe it'll flush out more programmers-with-a-social-conscience!

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 12:06:02 AM »
Liz.. You havent upset anyone!  Its an excellent local subject and its got lots of us interested in putting something positive back into our community. I've set my head teacher in the right direction and am talking in more depth with him about it next week once hes done a bit of homework and with several parent volunteers already I think its great.  That wouldnt have happened without you so please keep posting :)  cheers Lisa also known as Lizloz and a forum moderator who hasnt "shown off"  any of her skills(!) here...yet

Liz

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 07:52:07 PM »
But you know, guys, in Scratch you don't need to get bogged down in all that messy syntax stuff!  It maintains all the logic of computer programming but without silly semi-colons and curly brackets.  Just nice, big, colour-coded jigsaw pieces.
If there are so many interested people in the Marple area, we should have a Hack and Scratch meet-up for adults somewhere with wifi.  Just for fun!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

marpleexile

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 11:08:08 AM »
Yeah, CRBs are linked to an organisation. So if the organisation in this case is "The Code Club" as rather than, say Mellor Primary School Code Club, they'll be valid for anywhere the Code Club meets.

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 11:41:52 PM »
nope Im fairly sure crb checks are general!  Father xmas can go anywhere :D Or maybe there are 2 types?

I suppose it depends on how many people offer their services.  In the few hours on fB Ive got a few local ludworth parents interested and then theres twitter and shock horror.. real life! If each school has enough parent volunteers then theres no need to circulate the talent i suppose!

Liz

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 09:20:12 PM »
Wow!  I can't believe how this thread has taken off.  I saw earlier today that Brabyns had signed up.  Great if Ludworth would too.
Not sure of the practicalities of rotating locations.  I think CRB checks relate to the locations( I may be wrong) but also how would we ship children from one venue to another?  Part of the appeal of an after-school club to parents is that it extends the school day! 
But if all the schools club together, there are lots of other ways we could collaborate.  What about mass hack days on a weekend somewhere?  Inter school competitions?  And certainly a sharing of expertise.
I'm excited that you lot are getting excited about this!  Let's keep up the momentum.
Liz

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 08:04:06 PM »
Think you are right about CRB checks not needed if theres someone else present as our father xmas had the same issue and someone just had to stay with him all the time! 

Howard

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 07:59:12 PM »
It would make sense to me if the local schools actually joined forces on this and rotated the location so that the burden of hosting is shared. Of course, that would depend on the numbers of children joining the code club.

Also, that's assuming that the CRB check applies to the Code Club and not the school. As there's no national CRB register, if the CRB applied to a specific school then you'd need one for each location. If it applied to the code club then you could carry it between locations.

When I was CRB-checked for the junior rugby club I recall vaguely that you don't need a CRB as long as there is someone else present who is CRB-checked. That might just be me making it up though!

sgk

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 07:42:49 PM »
I see Brabyns Prep have appeared today on the list of schools interested.  Mellor Primary was already on there.

http://codeclub.org.uk/map/

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 04:07:40 PM »
Will back up sgk by wandering in and asking the head tomorrow!

I also haven't programmed for 15 years now but its a bug bear of mine that the national curriculum doesn't include basic coding and a basic understanding of how a computer works before how to use word and publisher and excel spreadsheet! So i might be in too