Self Catering Holiday Cottages in
Marple, Stockport & Cheshire

Author Topic: Marple Is A City!!!!  (Read 1675 times)

My login is Henrietta

Marple Is A City!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:59:26 PM »
No, I didn't know that either, until my insurers informed me of it. I've insured with NFU Mutual for many years - house, horses and car - because they have always been reasonably priced and very good on the odd claim I've had. I have led a fairly blameless life as far as insurance is concerned and have never been refused any sort of insurance.

I recently had to renew the insurance on my mother's house which I now own. The insurance brokers quoted £295 for a two bedroom bungalow in Marple - round about what we paid last year and more or less the same as I'd been paying NFU in Hyde for a two bed mid-terrace. I rang NFU intending to take out a policy with them. The quote was - wait for it - £733 :o When I wrote to them to check this as I was sure it was a mistake, I was informed that it was correct and that people who live in cities have to subsidise country dwellers! I've insured with them for 12 years and this has never cropped up before. As a result of this I have gone elsewhere for my buildings & contents insurance and will be moving my horse insurance to PetPlan and looking elsewhere for car insurance. I can't believe that NFU could be so stupid. They are losing not only my business but they are also losing the recommendations I make to friends, relations and anyone who asks.

I'm aware that Marple has a Stockport post-code but so has Hyde. Hyde is an small industrial town (bigger I think than Marple) and has far worse crime statistics than Marple. And, oddly, my NFU car insurance is cheaper in Marple than in Hyde, despite it now being on a larger, newer and more powerful car! (I've gone with Sainsbury's for the buildings and contents, by the way. It remains to be seen how they perform.)