Wealth Management | S&T Wealth provide portfolio & investment advice

Author Topic: Interesting  (Read 5412 times)

gazwhite

Re: Interesting
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 07:58:36 PM »
They didn't ask to scan your Clubcard by any chance did they?

Howard

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 06:04:36 PM »
Just went past a car outside the cinema with a couple of labels in the front and rear windows of his car reading "Traffic Census". I hope the guy was off the clock or had some automated counting system because he was fast asleep!

amazon

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 03:23:17 PM »
We don't know what they were measuring. So the fact some schools were closed may be irrelevant. It could be that they were measuring the percentage of traffic that turned left, right or went straight on. Then again, it could have been something completely different.

It has always amused me when I've seen people monitoring the traffic on Stockport Road during school holidays, when there is hardly any traffic. That seems to happen quite regularly.

Harry it really shouldn't - unless they are doing a comparative survey against traffic at peak conditions. Speaking as someone whose job it is to commission such counts, I would never undertake a survey in the school holidays. This time of year is just about ok, even with the potential for some older kids to have packed in school for summer.

The wednesday point is a mystery to me. I've never seen any traffic related evidence to suggest a dip in mid-week traffic flows, if anything its the opposite.

Did they have yellow jkts and gmpte on the back because they were on the hollins today out side coop chemist  they were also down Stockport road early in the week .

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 05:41:55 PM »
We don't know what they were measuring. So the fact some schools were closed may be irrelevant. It could be that they were measuring the percentage of traffic that turned left, right or went straight on. Then again, it could have been something completely different.

It has always amused me when I've seen people monitoring the traffic on Stockport Road during school holidays, when there is hardly any traffic. That seems to happen quite regularly.

Harry it really shouldn't - unless they are doing a comparative survey against traffic at peak conditions. Speaking as someone whose job it is to commission such counts, I would never undertake a survey in the school holidays. This time of year is just about ok, even with the potential for some older kids to have packed in school for summer.

The wednesday point is a mystery to me. I've never seen any traffic related evidence to suggest a dip in mid-week traffic flows, if anything its the opposite.

Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

Harry

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 04:18:22 PM »

Victor M

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 03:59:07 PM »
I've never heard of this before. What is the basis behind this idea? Is it to do with Wednesday being, historically, early closing day?
It may be an historic thing but when in the past I have been involved with events at Railway Stations and Bus Stations we were always told by our marketing agent that these should be done on a Wednesday as that is the busiest day during the week for people using public transport. But what do you think about the survey being conducted when
the private schools have broken up, a lot of people are on holiday and years 11 and 13 have all left school

Harry

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 03:07:07 PM »
Strange day to do a traffic survey as I thought Wednesday's were the day that most people travelled by public transport.

I've never heard of this before. What is the basis behind this idea? Is it to do with Wednesday being, historically, early closing day?

wheels

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 02:50:18 PM »
Greater Manchester is not an Authority in any sense Great Manchester Police, Greater Manchester Waste, Greater Manchester Transport, Greater Manchester Pension Fund. But Greater Manchester other than AGMA does not exist.
"Greater Manchester is not an Authority in any sense" I am aware of that but I'm sure you noticed the quotation marks in my account. They indicated that the speaker was quoted verbatim.

Yes I did notice. I was merely suggesting you were not given correct information no criticism just noting.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 02:24:23 PM »
Strange day to do a traffic survey as I thought Wednesday's were the day that most people travelled by public transport. Anyway they are undertaking it when we are in a period when are roads are at their busiest, now that the private schools have broken up, a lot of people are on holiday and years 11 and 13 have all left school!!
Yes, the Wednesday point occurred to me too but I was quite surprised at how busy Stockport Road was. I'd parked in Bowden Lane and it took me a good 5 minutes to get out onto Stockport road when I was on my way home.

Perhaps they have to do several surveys at different times to get an over all view.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 02:19:24 PM »
Greater Manchester is not an Authority in any sense Great Manchester Police, Greater Manchester Waste, Greater Manchester Transport, Greater  Manchester Pension Fund. But Greater Manchester other than AGMA does not exist.
"Greater Manchester is not an Authority in any sense" I am aware of that but I'm sure you noticed the quotation marks in my account. They indicated that the speaker was quoted verbatim.

hollins

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 01:55:46 PM »
There are far more important road schemes in Greater Manchester needing traffic surveys in the area, notably:
http://www.semmms.com/SEMMMS-Site-Plan.html

The stretch as far as the A6 was apparently given a budgetary go-ahead last autumn.

wheels

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 01:54:16 PM »
Greater Manchester is not an Authority in any sense Great Manchester Police, Greater Manchester Waste, Greater Manchester Transport, Greater  Manchester Pension Fund. But Greater Manchester other than AGMA does not exist.

Victor M

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 01:34:15 PM »
Strange day to do a traffic survey as I thought Wednesday's were the day that most people travelled by public transport. Anyway they are undertaking it when we are in a period when are roads are at their busiest, now that the private schools have broken up, a lot of people are on holiday and years 11 and 13 have all left school!!

My login is Henrietta

Interesting
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:17:34 PM »
Had occasion to drive down Staion Road about 12.30-ish today. A number of hi-vis coated personel with clip boards stationed at the junctions of Station Road and Church Lane with Stockport Road. "Hmm" I thought so parked up and went and introduced myself.

Me - "Hello, you're obviously doing a survey. What is it for?"
Nice lady and gentleman - "It's a traffic survey."
Me - "Do you mind if I ask who you're doing it for? Is it for Stockport Council?"
NL&G - "No, it's for Greater Manchester."
Me - "Any idea what it's for?"
NL&G - "No, we aren't told. We just get the call and told where to go."
Me - "Thank you."

In view of what's going on elsewhere in the village (sorry, town) I thought it was interesting.