Market Research Company | Marple Stockport

Author Topic: By-gone Marple  (Read 3568 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: By-gone Marple
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 12:07:59 AM »
Durrr! Of course Hollins House was the old name for the Council Offices in the park. Silly me. I think I was thrown by the reference to "the road to Hollins House which made it sound like it was near the Bowling Green.

Thanks for the info about New Road, too. All very interesting.

sgk

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 01:19:34 AM »
  That's the new address for Social Services in Marple based in the park.  All lettered headed papers now refer to the council offices in the Memorial Park  as Hollins House

Makes sense then.  This article kinda confirms http://www.pittdixon.go-plus.net/pfc-hollins-mill/pfc-hollins-mill.htm.

"The Carver family moved away from Marple in circa 1920 after giving Hollins House and surrounding land to Marple Urban District Council. The house became the Council Offices and in 1922 the land was converted into the War Memorial Park."

Miss Marple

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 12:31:18 AM »
  That's the new address for Social Services in Marple based in the park.  All lettered headed papers now refer to the council offices in the Memorial Park  as Hollins House

sgk

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 12:22:42 AM »
While sorting out my late mother's house I've come across a collection of newspaper clippings from local newspapers going back over a century.

I've found a couple of references to "New Road" and "Hollins House" from the end of the 19th century. Where was Hollins House and which road was then New Road?

Could be related to this flood, The Flood of 1872.

Here's the map showing New Road ("Stockport Road" in new-fangled speak), courtesy of http://www.old-maps.co.uk.

Hollins House could be the council building in Memorial Park ?
http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pid=3179

tonyjones

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 11:33:17 PM »
Until the late 1700s the road from Stockport split at the Jolly Sailor. Left to along Back lane Marple Bridge and right up Church Lane to the ridge.
Samuel Oldknow arrived and built his 'New Road' to reach his mill on the River Goyt. The name changed to Stockport Road around 1900.
I am fairly sure that Hollins House is the house in the Memorial Park that is the council offices.

I am sure Marple Local History Society would be interested in the cuttings. They can be contacted through one of the links at the bottom of the main Marple web site page.

My login is Henrietta

By-gone Marple
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 11:00:31 PM »
While sorting out my late mother's house I've come across a collection of newspaper clippings from local newspapers going back over a century.

I've found a couple of references to "New Road" and "Hollins House" from the end of the 19th century. Where was Hollins House and which road was then New Road?

One of the clippings is about bad weather causing flooding. It comes from the North Cheshire Herald, in June, 1872 (can't read the actual date). There seems to have been a very bad storm which "washed over" a gasometer in the area and "In the vicinity of the Bowling Green Inn at Marple, the united streams from Church Lane, New Road    and the road leading to Hollins House, and also the one at the end of the Bowling Green, gave the street the aspect  of a river.....The cellars beneath the Bowling Green were flooded to a depth of about 4 feet. The beer barrels were floating hither and thither and about 10 gallons of spirits were lost".

Not important in the scheme of things. I'm just interested.