Marple Blasting Services | Blast Cleaning Stockport

Author Topic: Oxfam- Donations  (Read 4787 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: Oxfam- Donations
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 10:41:43 PM »
Please can someone offer me some advice, my sister has just given her bank details to 'Oxfam' via a doorstep cold call. I NEVER give my details and refuse point blank as I am very wary of scams etc.. anyway she lives alone and felt pressured. Please can anyone tell me if I should be worried for her? Can she go to her bank tomorrow and cancel it before any money is taken out?
Assuming the visit was legit and really was on behalf of Oxfam, she has a "cooling off" period. Any contract made on the doorstep *where the tenant hasn't previously invited the company to call* is subject to laws which cover cold calling and distance selling. Off hand, I can't remember whether it's 7 or 14 days grace.

(Incidentally, a verbal agreement constitutes a contract just as a written agreement does and is as binding as a written contract - although, of course, it's harder to enforce).

*where the tenant hasn't previously invited the company to call* for example, if you ask Bloggs & Co to come and quote for installing your new window frames and you agree on the spot to have the job done by them at £XXXX, you can't then back out if you later change your mind.

Miss Marple

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 08:53:02 PM »
Yes it's the long digit card number and the 3 digit number on the back of the card   I pay nearly everything via pay pal so do get confused but you would be wise to stop it, these people are not right putting people under pressure  like Amazon has said there is a lot going on in Marple at the moment we have just been alerted to cheque theft by 2 chaps knocking on doors in the area.   

tina

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 08:27:04 PM »
Thanks everyone, I'm going to go to the bank with her tomorrow to get it stopped. I know what they are like they give the hard sell and its very hard if your on your own to say no, she's not like me, I say NO everytime. (I do give to charities though, just not via my bank). Thanks

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 08:07:18 PM »
yes she signed it.

Then I would phone the bank in the morning and arrange to get it stopped.

I shop on line all the time and all I have to give is the sort code account number and the 3 number code off the back of the card.   My advise would be stop the card or at least speak to the bank.  The very fact that your sister felt under pressure is a concern in it's self. 

The number that you give when you use a credit or debit card is not the same as your bank account number and sort code, even if the card is tied to the bank account. from what has been said Tina's sister has not handed over a credit/debit card (but if she has, get the card stopped).
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

tina

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 07:48:59 PM »
yes she signed it.

Miss Marple

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 07:47:17 PM »
I shop on line all the time and all I have to give is the sort code account number and the 3 number code off the back of the card.   My advise would be stop the card or at least speak to the bank.  The very fact that your sister felt under pressure is a concern in it's self. 

amazon

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 07:44:48 PM »
she gave sort code and account number. can they do anything tonight with that?

I'm not an expert, so not certain, but I would have thought that they would have to set up a direct debit or standing order to get money out. You can set up to pay money into an account with that info but I don't think there is any way to get money out with just that is there?

Did your sister sign a DD or standing order form on the doorstep?

There is four lads doing the rounds saying they are from the samaritans .will you donate .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 07:40:28 PM »

I'm not an expert, so not certain, but I would have thought that they would have to set up a direct debit or standing order to get money out. You can set up to pay money into an account with that info but I don't think there is any way to get money out with just that is there?

Did your sister sign a DD or standing order form on the doorstep?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 07:38:16 PM »
did she sign anything?  They cant in theory take money out as a DD or SO unless shes signed the form?

wheels

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Giving out their sort code and account numberis something peopledo all the time. Everytime people hand over a cheque people seem so wedded to thats exactly what you are doing. So the question is more about what your sister felt of the people onthe door.

tina

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 07:28:26 PM »

Miss Marple

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 07:25:19 PM »
I think she needs to contact the bank this evening to stop her details being used.   If you need any help just PM me

tina

Oxfam- Donations
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 07:14:14 PM »
Please can someone offer me some advice, my sister has just given her bank details to 'Oxfam' via a doorstep cold call. I NEVER give my details and refuse point blank as I am very wary of scams etc.. anyway she lives alone and felt pressured. Please can anyone tell me if I should be worried for her? Can she go to her bank tomorrow and cancel it before any money is taken out?