Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: College and ASDA's Plans Revealed  (Read 54229 times)

Tricky

Re: College and ASDA's Plans Revealed
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2012, 07:28:42 AM »
There will be traffic.

But.. MIA have guessed 200 movements/hour

3.33 cars per minute.

And.. wasn't this before the plans were revealed?

The fact it's a relatively small store makes me think that people won't exactly leave the surrounding areas to rush to Asda.

How many people currently travel into Marple to shop at the co-op?
Obviously some do, but  not that many.. I just can't imagine the chaos that MIA predict.

Perhaps MIA should start accepting the fact that Asda will be built, and campaign to get things like landscaping and restrictions on delivery times etc.

meh

simonesaffron

« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2012, 06:40:33 AM »
The staff manning the ASDA/C&MSFC stall yesterday were the most junior of junior and would play no part in any decision making process whatsoever. Most of the the Asda "people" are just part of a London PR rent a group that do "consultations" for a living. It's been said before on this site but this is not a consultation, a consultation is when you solicit a view and take it into account however it fits in with your proposals. That is not what was happening yesterday. What was happening yesterday was just part of a process that needs fulfilling.

As far as "never" building on open space, if you believe that then you believe in pixies and fairies. Whatever is agreed about the open space can be changed at a later date no matter who signs what. 

There is no doubt in my mind that the Asda will bring with it a negative impact on some local businesses although it has to be said that some of these businesses are on borrowed time anyway.

There is also no doubt in my mind that the Asda will bring with it increased traffic. The shopping traffic that currently disperses throughout Marple on its way to various outside supermarkets will then converge on the Asda. How could it do anything else ?  If you live near the store itself then the delivery traffic will be a pollutive nightmare.

However, Marple is not a leafy backwater it is a suburban town that already has it's fair share of ever increasing traffic without the Asda. Stockport Rd, Station Rd and Hibbert Lane already have an abundance of traffic. In fact its hard to see how you can get any more traffic on Stockport Rd in Marple. 

In addition to all this it doesn't matter what we say these decisions are being made for us elsewhere. The only decision you have to make when it is built - will you go in it ?   

wheels

« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2012, 12:00:36 AM »
I went along today and one major concern was alleviated. I was assured categorically that the green space area next to the proposed Adsa site could NEVER be built on. They told me that there is not a 10-year time period before the land can be used but that it would have to “stay as green space in perpetuity” (I would like to see that in writing though).

My concerns about parking (and traffic generally) were not alleviated. When I asked how many parking spaces the college currently has on both sites they weren’t sure, about 200 they said. But when I told them that I had counted 280 they agreed that was probably right. How many will they have on the new site Buxton Lane site? I asked. Oh, about 160 they said. When I said I’d counted 150 on their plan, they agreed that was probably right too.

So if I had gone unarmed without my own information they would have left me thinking that 40 spaces were being lost, whereas it is actually about 130.

They didn’t have any constructive thoughts about how they were going to deal with the reduction in parking and blamed planning law for the number of parking spaces that they are allowed to provide on the new college site.

Hi Mark, if you read my earlier post ( at 6.46pm )you will see I asked the same question and got a similar response apart from be advised to ask the council to make the area a permit parking area.

The newly opened Shard in Londononly has about 40 parking places, in any new development we ought to be seeking to reduce those traveling by car and encouraging green transport alternative. The Manchestetr College was build with 28 parking places. I would like to see a drastic reduction is parking on the Buxton Lane site.

gym

« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2012, 11:21:56 PM »
Unfortunately I cannot see these plans etc., but would like my opposition taken into account.  I do not wish to see more traffic coming into Marple, it is already a nightmare.  An incredibly slanted questionnaire, proving that by asking the wrong questions you can get the right answers to propel your application through. 

jethroh65

« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2012, 11:10:06 PM »
Unfortunately they do have a point about the number of spaces that they can deliver on site. SMBC have strict policies on total car parking for development (http://www.stockport.gov.uk/2013/2994/developmentcontrol/planningpolicy/UDP/udpreview_m_appendix9) and in order to promote 'sustainable development' they shouldn't allow more parking. I assume that the current proposals are promoting the maximum number of spaces permissible or else they are trying to pull a fast one.

It will be interesting to see what the College do in terms of Travel Planning and / or local parking controls.
I was told about the maximum number thing ( I can't from the sheet if there figures are correct ).
It was stated that there would be 30 additional spaces on the Buxton Lane site, when asked where the
other approx. 120 cars that are catered for now would park, I got a shoulder shrug response and it was told there would be bus access catered and it was suggested maybe it would be a good idea for me to ask the council about bringing in a permit parking scheme!!!

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2012, 10:45:12 PM »
Unfortunately they do have a point about the number of spaces that they can deliver on site. SMBC have strict policies on total car parking for development (http://www.stockport.gov.uk/2013/2994/developmentcontrol/planningpolicy/UDP/udpreview_m_appendix9) and in order to promote 'sustainable development' they shouldn't allow more parking. I assume that the current proposals are promoting the maximum number of spaces permissible or else they are trying to pull a fast one.

It will be interesting to see what the College do in terms of Travel Planning and / or local parking controls.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

jethroh65

« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2012, 10:37:44 PM »
I went along today and one major concern was alleviated. I was assured categorically that the green space area next to the proposed Adsa site could NEVER be built on. They told me that there is not a 10-year time period before the land can be used but that it would have to “stay as green space in perpetuity” (I would like to see that in writing though).

My concerns about parking (and traffic generally) were not alleviated. When I asked how many parking spaces the college currently has on both sites they weren’t sure, about 200 they said. But when I told them that I had counted 280 they agreed that was probably right. How many will they have on the new site Buxton Lane site? I asked. Oh, about 160 they said. When I said I’d counted 150 on their plan, they agreed that was probably right too.

So if I had gone unarmed without my own information they would have left me thinking that 40 spaces were being lost, whereas it is actually about 130.

They didn’t have any constructive thoughts about how they were going to deal with the reduction in parking and blamed planning law for the number of parking spaces that they are allowed to provide on the new college site.

Hi Mark, if you read my earlier post ( at 6.46pm )you will see I asked the same question and got a similar response apart from be advised to ask the council to make the area a permit parking area.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2012, 10:22:14 PM »

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2012, 10:03:26 PM »
I Have just been and I have noticed that the roundabout will have 4 exits.   I was informed by Walmart that it was hoped that people would be expected to use Edwards Way down onto cross lane as a way back out of Marple   Are they crazy !
Walmart also say that there are no plans as yet for infer structure which I do not believe
Lots of people complaining about not knowing about the consultation and had only been alerted to it by MIA  :P

I only knew about it because I drove past the signs yesterday. I'm sure it was mentioned on here but I haven't been around much .

Went to the consultation this afternoon. Consultation - Ha! No straight answers, in fact no answers at all and I was called a liar, in so many words, by a Asda rep. All questions were met with waffle.

jethroh65

« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2012, 08:55:13 PM »
I went to along today & living close to the college( Fir Road ) one of the concerns I had was the apparent lack of parking on the plans for the proposed Buxton Lane development.
If the New build goes ahead there will be only 30 additional extra car park spaces on Buxton Lane compared
to what is there now. Given that there are approximately 125-150 spaces on the Hibbert Lane campus, I asked where will all the students be parking, on Buxton Lane or the Woodville estate?
Answer: We are only allowed buy planning guidelines for certain ratio of pupil to car park spaces for  new builds.
Also the revamped Buxton Lane capacity for students will be the same as the present Buxton Lane & Hibbert Lane sites. At present the college has spare capacity for students, obviously they are hoping new facilities will attract more students.
The car parks on both sites are at present usually full.
The college representative although sympathetic to the problem I highlighted, suggested I speak to the authorities about, and maybe they can bring in permit parking for local residents!!!!!
For anyone who lives close to the college I imagine the open evening parking problems that happen now are what we expected to accept as the norm for our area on a daily basis.
I didn't bother speaking to the Walmart representatives who were obviously their generic rent a  planning hit squad, who probably were on their 5th planning assignment of the week !!!

Very good point. Why don't they make the old Peacefield school site into a car park with a footpath to the new college? The traffic on Cross Lane would probably still be the same, just the extra traffic past the college down Buxton Lane to the car park.
The Peacefield site has already been allocated for new housing, I think planning as already gone through?
Also your comment about the traffic on cross lane,  " just the extra traffic past the college down Buxton Lane to the Car Park". What about all the " Rat Run" traffic from or to avoid ASDA?
My reply was to the post regarding the additional car parking near to the college on Buxton Lane when the college is rebuilt and has nothing to do with the Asda subject, read the posts properly!
Okay I understand your point, but as the Peacefield Site is already earmarked for housing it is irrelevant.

the rover

« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2012, 08:44:22 PM »
I went to along today & living close to the college( Fir Road ) one of the concerns I had was the apparent lack of parking on the plans for the proposed Buxton Lane development.
If the New build goes ahead there will be only 30 additional extra car park spaces on Buxton Lane compared
to what is there now. Given that there are approximately 125-150 spaces on the Hibbert Lane campus, I asked where will all the students be parking, on Buxton Lane or the Woodville estate?
Answer: We are only allowed buy planning guidelines for certain ratio of pupil to car park spaces for  new builds.
Also the revamped Buxton Lane capacity for students will be the same as the present Buxton Lane & Hibbert Lane sites. At present the college has spare capacity for students, obviously they are hoping new facilities will attract more students.
The car parks on both sites are at present usually full.
The college representative although sympathetic to the problem I highlighted, suggested I speak to the authorities about, and maybe they can bring in permit parking for local residents!!!!!
For anyone who lives close to the college I imagine the open evening parking problems that happen now are what we expected to accept as the norm for our area on a daily basis.
I didn't bother speaking to the Walmart representatives who were obviously their generic rent a  planning hit squad, who probably were on their 5th planning assignment of the week !!!

Very good point. Why don't they make the old Peacefield school site into a car park with a footpath to the new college? The traffic on Cross Lane would probably still be the same, just the extra traffic past the college down Buxton Lane to the car park.
The Peacefield site has already been allocated for new housing, I think planning as already gone through?
Also your comment about the traffic on cross lane,  " just the extra traffic past the college down Buxton Lane to the Car Park". What about all the " Rat Run" traffic from or to avoid ASDA?
My reply was to the post regarding the additional car parking near to the college on Buxton Lane when the college is rebuilt and has nothing to do with the Asda subject, read the posts properly!

sgk

« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2012, 08:35:55 PM »
I live near to the Texaco (Co-op) and I don't hear any deliveries being made at all, even sat out in the garden on the very rare occasion it is not raining I still do not hear anything. I have neighbours who actually back onto the Texaco and they do not hear anything and they are only metres away.

The noisy deliveries have plagued ASDA neighbours throughout the land.  I've pasted just a few (there's plenty more) below.

Bloxwich, "due to erratic delivery schedules, the increase in noise could be due to deliveries, preparation of empty rollcages, pallets for recollection, movement of non-perishable stock", "late-night deliveries demonstrated that residents in the vicinity of the store may be disturbed by noise from the arriving / manoeuvering vehicle".

Llanelli, "Householders have laid the blame at Asda's door and are calling on the council to get to grips with the issue once and for all. One of them, pensioner Malcolm Cotterell, declared: "The problems of noise are still going on, the council won't sort them out.".

Coventry, "revving lorry engines and noise from the unloading of vehicles before 6am and after 10pm despite an informal agreement deliveries would not take place outside of those hours.".

Reading, "Asda can only deliver from 6am-11pm Mondays to Saturdays and 8am-5pm on Sundays and Bank Holidays, but it wants to deliver at all hours except 2-4am".

Wokingham, "her house shakes from the vibrations caused by large delivery trucks and she fears the problem will only get worse if delivery hours are extended", "sleepless nights if the plan for deliveries 22 hours a day goes ahead".

On the plus side, ASDA do sell noise-cancelling headphones.  Perhaps they'll offer local residents a discount voucher?

Howard

« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2012, 07:58:43 PM »

I predict that anyone living on these roads will see a significant increase of traffic on them leading to greater risk for pedestrians, pets etc.

Things can be altered  .

Please be a bit more vague with your next reply.

Seriously, if you think things can be altered please explain how because people WILL be using Church Lane, Edwards Way, Leigh Avenue, Cross Lane, Rose Lane and The Drive as rat runs to avoid the centre of Marple. Tell me what you think things should look like instead.

amazon

« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2012, 07:51:01 PM »
ps,  also told the store is likely to open between 8 and 10pm

The biggest hurdle they will have will be noise and light polution in the surrounding areas , this could stop the whole thing ( apparently )

Don't they have light pollution when the college is open evenings is there not large lights on the car park side.
A couple evening a year is slightly different from 7 days a week for 364 days a year, unless they are proposing to open on Xmas Day!!!!
But the large lights on car park side are on all night for security .

Miss Marple

« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2012, 07:32:43 PM »
Please try to attend the walk tomorrow meet at the MIA stall 1pm on route or at the college

Thank you