A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: What will happen to the Postmen/Postwomen?  (Read 27105 times)

amazon

Re: What will happen to the Postmen/Postwomen?
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 04:02:48 PM »
As I said - Be careful what you wish for

Please tell us what is cheaper at the coop than say Morrisons       Today

morrisons Kellogg corn flakes 759g £1.34 coop £2.70 toilet rolls from tomorow on offer at morrisons .walkers crisps also from tomorow .

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 03:46:31 PM »
As I said - Be careful what you wish for

wheels

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 12:43:48 PM »
All very well put Simon. :)

simonesaffron

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 11:04:53 AM »
I don't remember the 50's. Apparently it was a grim time; ration books, smog, no proper heating, pubs shut more than they were open, drab clothes, damp houses with musty wallpaper, capital punishment, outside toilets, Winston Churchill long past his best and rubbish music. A time when you considered yourself fortunate to even have a dad as there was a good chance that he'd been killed in the war. Shop-keepers on every corner charging high prices and opening and closing when they wanted to. That was a major reason for the advent of the supermarket, poor levels of local service in the 50's and 60's. 

I don't know what Henrietta is buying from the co-op to see her bill go down. Every time I go in it which is not often, I'm actually shocked at the sky -high prices. I vow not to go again but of course I always do.

If local businesses (which I try to use ) can't cater for local customers then local customers will go elsewhere. It doesn't matter what the shop-keepers are doing on Wednesday afternoon, that's none of my business. if they want to watch Jeremy Kyle or play with their kids, then that's entirely up to them. What is my business is that they're not open when I want to buy something that they sell - so I'll get it somewhere else.

A supermarket, the right one in the right location, not a great big, clinking, clanking Asda on Hibbert Lane would bring competition for the co-op and the local buys and there is no doubt whatsoever that one will be coming to Marple in the near future. So just accept it.

In my view this will not be the death knell for local businesses in fact it could even bring additional foot-fall into the town and extra revenues for local business...but if you close on a Wednesday afternoon.... then perhaps you should relocate... back to the 50's.     

wheels

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 05:08:20 PM »
Its not just the Co-op the independents on Marple serve the town poorly. Shutting early, closing on Wednesdays and the customer service in some of them is dreadful.
Goodness me! How unreasonable of the local shop-keepers to close on Wednesdays and not to stay open until midnight.

I assume you only work(ed) a five day week and are/were allowed to go home at 5pm.

As a child of the 50s and 60s when my parents worked hard in their shops I think I can speak knowledgeably in support of "small" shop-keepers. Half day (and even all-day closing) on Wednesday or any other day isn't just an excuse for lolling in the garden or watching Jeremy Kyle. Most shop-keepers use it for business purposes - stock replenishment, visiting the suppliers, doing the books, cleaning the premises, etc. And even (now this is really unreasonable) some of them actually spend a little time with their children and attend to their needs on their day "off".

The Working Time Directive is a pipe dream to the average one-man retail business.

Well i lived through the 50s as well and lets not pretend it was some golden age. It was a miserable dire period better forgotten. Times have changed if local traders want my cash they have to compete with Sainsburys etc. End of stoory if they cant they go.

Dave

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 04:11:25 PM »
I don't know where Henrietta used to live, but many years ago I lived in Cheadle Hulme.  Since then, Waitrose has arrived in Cheadle Hulme, and this seems to have done no harm at all to the local shops.  On the contrary, many are thriving, and the excellent local butchers Pimlotts report that 'The coming of Waitrose to the centre of the village has helped keep us busy, because local people tend to shop locally.’  See http://cheshire.greatbritishlife.co.uk/article/a-choice-location--we-visit-cheadle-and-cheadle-hulme-39666/

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 11:39:54 AM »
We do need another supermarket in Marple. The co-op has a monopoly and their prices are very high, their variety has none, and their sell by dates are narrow.

In my view a medium sized to small supermarket on Chadwick street would benefit the community of Marple it might bring some extra vehicular traffic but perhaps that would be the price to pay.

As well as this some of our local traders need to up their game. Some of their service is poor and some of their opening times are restrictive. Closing half-day on Wednesday is outdated practice and only drives their customers into the arms of Sainsbury's and Morrisons.
The Co-op does have it's advantages. Since coming back to live in Marple I've been using the Co-op and my weekly bills have dropped considerably. There is far less temptation to buy things I might need at some time in the future and I don't waste the petrol that I did when I used to make detours to Ad-tes-bury's supermarkets.

Where I used to live there were no longer any independent bakers, delis, flower shop, cafes, sweet shops, newsagents, or greengrocers because they'd been driven out by the "big boys". Even the hairdressers, dress shops, hardware shops and jewellers were disappearing and the historical market was on its last legs because hardly anyone came into the town centre to shop anymore.

Be careful what you wish for.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 11:27:16 AM »
Its not just the Co-op the independents on Marple serve the town poorly. Shutting early, closing on Wednesdays and the customer service in some of them is dreadful.
Goodness me! How unreasonable of the local shop-keepers to close on Wednesdays and not to stay open until midnight.

I assume you only work(ed) a five day week and are/were allowed to go home at 5pm.

As a child of the 50s and 60s when my parents worked hard in their shops I think I can speak knowledgeably in support of "small" shop-keepers. Half day (and even all-day closing) on Wednesday or any other day isn't just an excuse for lolling in the garden or watching Jeremy Kyle. Most shop-keepers use it for business purposes - stock replenishment, visiting the suppliers, doing the books, cleaning the premises, etc. And even (now this is really unreasonable) some of them actually spend a little time with their children and attend to their needs on their day "off".

The Working Time Directive is a pipe dream to the average one-man retail business.

wheels

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 06:58:27 PM »
Agreed totally. They need to look at their customer service particularly some of them are just down right rude.

simonesaffron

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 04:22:14 PM »
We do need another supermarket in Marple. The co-op has a monopoly and their prices are very high, their variety has none, and their sell by dates are narrow.

In my view a medium sized to small supermarket on Chadwick street would benefit the community of Marple it might bring some extra vehicular traffic but perhaps that would be the price to pay.

As well as this some of our local traders need to up their game. Some of their service is poor and some of their opening times are restrictive. Closing half-day on Wednesday is outdated practice and only drives their customers into the arms of Sainsbury's and Morrisons.

amazon

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 06:44:11 PM »
IN order to survive local traders have to compete is some way with the supermarkets. That has to be on product or service, its no good Archers for example having great bread if I can't get it when I need it say on the way home from work that just drives me to Sainsburys and there are other examples. To compete they have to look at their customer service and opening hours.

Nowadays to have a shopping centre closing down at 5pm ish is doing nothing to attract support.

But archers must start early morning  baking so do you think if the local shops stayed open to say seven every night they would be busy .idont think so .the coop wanted to open at six in a morning but the staff won't have it .you have to provide what people want like you say and that's a alternative to the coop I don't think the texaco garage now stays open late at the bottom of Marple .marple needs to change quick .

wheels

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 03:16:31 PM »
IN order to survive local traders have to compete is some way with the supermarkets. That has to be on product or service, its no good Archers for example having great bread if I can't get it when I need it say on the way home from work that just drives me to Sainsburys and there are other examples. To compete they have to look at their customer service and opening hours.

Nowadays to have a shopping centre closing down at 5pm ish is doing nothing to attract support.

Barbara

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 03:03:26 PM »
Rather a sweeping statement, Wheels!  I think we are very lucky with some of our local independent shops, and just wish some of the ones that used to be there had survived!

wheels

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 02:57:55 PM »

amazon

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 02:21:10 PM »
I seem to recall initial proposals were to take a unit on the Hollins.

Relocation is a feature of the Chadkirk St delevopment as I understand it.

Why should they move they still have a long lease left .

If the sorting office doesn't go then the Chadwick Street site cannot be developed in the way that best supports the Council's argument against Asda. Oversimplified, you could say do you want the sorting office to leave town or do you want Asda to leave town? Yet again, even if the sorting office leaves there is no guarantee that Asda will. In reality you could end up with two supermarkets one where the sorting office is and one on Hibbert Lane.
We need another supermarket as a alternative to the ripoff prices under stocked shelves of the coop,