To advertise on this site

Market Research Company | Marple Stockport

Author Topic: We're coming to Marple! Some questions please..  (Read 640 times)

Rabbit

Re: We're coming to Marple! Some questions please..
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 10:57:17 AM »
Thanks All for the input :)  Paperwork for the purchase of the house (and sale of ours) is marching on so hope to be moving to schedule.  Henrietta has suggested a yard for me and my horse and I'll be going to visit it hopefully this weekend coming. 

AMurray

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 05:25:57 AM »
Good choice Rabbit

We moved to Marple last year and I commute to Manchester for work each day. I usually need my car whilst at work, so the train is not really an option for me. I'm finding the drive into the city ok ish. As long as you leave by 7am in the morning,  the journey is not too bad and about 45 minutes. In the evenings it doesn't seem to matter when you leave work, the journey is always about the same , but so far never worse that an hour.  Not great for the distance I know.

The issues with the drive though are all worth it, to live in somewhere as lovely as Marple.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 01:36:28 PM »
Hello All,
'We' is my husband and I, having just had an offer accepted on a property in Marple Bridge we are excited to be joining what I hope will be a lovely place to live.  We are moving to the area from Wilmslow and hope to be in by late Spring/early Summer.
I have a few questions please if anyone can assist?

1.  Having read previous threads about traffic and commuting, it is clear that it's not pleasant (but isn't that the case everywhere!) - I'd like to know in your experience, is it better to drive into Manchester, or commute via train?  My husband works in Salford Quays, and I will be working in Bredbury (groan).

2.  If driving, what sort of times do we want to be setting off, and equally which times are best to avoid?  We had hoped to do some trial runs from the area, but as yet as we haven't found the time.

3.  Now for a completely different topic - does anyone know of any small (ideally private) livery yards that might have a stable coming up for rent soon?  I have a horse and will need to relocate him from his current yard in Wilmslow.  A quick google search tells me that there are two large livery yards in the area, but if possible I'd like a quieter life for him and me, a private yard or a small livery yard would be ideal.  If anyone knows anyone I would appreciate some information, I can provide references.

4.  Are there any social groups that would suit 2 twenty-somethings that we can take part in once we move?  One thing I dislike about where we are now is the complete lack of community spirit, and the fact that everyone keeps themselves to themselves.  As such despite living in Wilmslow for over 2 years we haven't made any new friends in the area, and I'd like to! 

I think that's it for now, though I'm sure I'll think of more questions!  Any advice or information about the area in general would be appreciated - I'd like to know if there's any areas I should avoid  :-\ ?

Thanks in advance!  :)
Hi, Rabbit,

Re: Horse accomodation.

I keep my horse at Hargate Hill Equestrian Centre in Charlesworth between Glossop and Marple (a nice drive). Small it isn't but it has very good facilities and helpful, knowledgeable, caring,and reliable staff. I've kept my chap there for 16 years and was a riding client for 15 years before I bought him (he was a graduate of the riding school there) and I wouldn't move him anywhere else.

Part- or full livery is available if required. I have mine on D-I-Y but the staff will always help out if required. There are 3 free-to-use outdoor manèges (including a jumping arena) and a covered one, secure tack rooms, decent size stables, both outdoor and American barn-style with loose-boxes, shower and solarium for the horses, loos for us, a cafe, and off-road access to bridle way. There is mixed  and single sex turn-out (daytime only but flexible about times for turning out and bringing in). Large and small bale hay, bedding and feed are available on the yard and delivered dail to order. Farriers attend regularly and vets attend as required and for routine matters two vet practices attend weekly with no call-out charge which is useful for vaccinations, teeth, etc. The owners live on site so security is not a problem

On the down side, being where it is in the hills, mud can be a major winter problem but as far as I'm concerned it's a small price to pay for a  happy, comfortable, safe horse.

I've investigated other places nearer to Marple but in the main prices are much the same and often for inferior facilities.

In addition, if your husband is interested there are fishing lakes with a variety of fish and day tickets are available.

I'll pm you my mobile number in case you'd like to come up with me to have an unofficial look round.
Don't look for the light at the end of the tunnel -  stomp along there and turn the bl**dy thing on yourself!

tigerman

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 02:30:10 PM »
Welcome to Marple. We have lived in Marple Bridge for thirty years now and we find it a friendly place with great facilities for a small town. I commute regularly to Mediacity at different times of the day. Worst case scenario is obviously getting there for 9am. As my work demands prompt arrival , I leave at 7.30 for 9am as winter term-time traffic is the worst. Leaving mediacity well after the rush-hour, I can get home in only 35 minutes! Most days, I use the Hyde Road route as recommended by Dave. Bredbury is a nightmare during peak times. I know people who use the train/tram and it serves them well and is much more eco! It must be much less stressful if your hours are regular!
There are so many clubs and societies in Marple. You can check them out at the library and see if any suit your tastes. If you enjoy quizzes as we do, set up a team, it's a good way of meeting new people too, many pubs offer a quiz night. There are lovely walks on your doorstep waiting to be discovered, and excellent independent cafes in Marple Bridge and Marple.
I am sure you will enjoy living here.

wheels

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 04:15:03 PM »
Let's be entirely predictable if your working in Bredbury the best advice would be to cycle it, it will be quicker and will do you more good, or at the very least get the train with your bike to Bredbury station  then cycle from there.

Similarly I used to regularly have to go to Salford Quays and the best way is to train/bike into Manchester (until Dave's dreaded train/trams appear) then it's an easy ride to Salford Quays. I was doing that at 64 so I'm sure your mid 20s partner can😃.

Dave

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 06:27:04 PM »
Good decision, Rabbit - you are very welcome! 

As you say, the only drawback to living round here is the traffic congestion at peak times.  I used to work in Salford, but it was a few years ago, so my experience is probably hopelessly out of date.  Some days I drove, and some days I went by train. Your husband will need to try out the numerous different driving routes and find the one that works best for him. For what it's worth, I used to go over Werneth Low to Hyde, then M67 - A 57 to central Manchester and along the Mancunian Way to Salford, mainly to avoid Stockport. If he has to go via Stockport, it's best to leave home by 7.15 at the latest.  Train + metrolink to Salford Quays would work, but it would take about 75 minutes.

Can't help with the horsey query, but Henrietta will be along soon and she can probably advise.

Hope you enjoy living here. We moved here from Cheadle Hulme 33 years ago and our only regret was that we didn't make the move earlier!

Rabbit

We're coming to Marple! Some questions please..
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 03:06:24 PM »
Hello All,
'We' is my husband and I, having just had an offer accepted on a property in Marple Bridge we are excited to be joining what I hope will be a lovely place to live.  We are moving to the area from Wilmslow and hope to be in by late Spring/early Summer.
I have a few questions please if anyone can assist?

1.  Having read previous threads about traffic and commuting, it is clear that it's not pleasant (but isn't that the case everywhere!) - I'd like to know in your experience, is it better to drive into Manchester, or commute via train?  My husband works in Salford Quays, and I will be working in Bredbury (groan).

2.  If driving, what sort of times do we want to be setting off, and equally which times are best to avoid?  We had hoped to do some trial runs from the area, but as yet as we haven't found the time.

3.  Now for a completely different topic - does anyone know of any small (ideally private) livery yards that might have a stable coming up for rent soon?  I have a horse and will need to relocate him from his current yard in Wilmslow.  A quick google search tells me that there are two large livery yards in the area, but if possible I'd like a quieter life for him and me, a private yard or a small livery yard would be ideal.  If anyone knows anyone I would appreciate some information, I can provide references.

4.  Are there any social groups that would suit 2 twenty-somethings that we can take part in once we move?  One thing I dislike about where we are now is the complete lack of community spirit, and the fact that everyone keeps themselves to themselves.  As such despite living in Wilmslow for over 2 years we haven't made any new friends in the area, and I'd like to! 

I think that's it for now, though I'm sure I'll think of more questions!  Any advice or information about the area in general would be appreciated - I'd like to know if there's any areas I should avoid  :-\ ?

Thanks in advance!  :)