To advertise on this site

Myers Tree Care - Dedicated to Quality Tree Care

Author Topic: Commuting from Marple to Didsbury  (Read 894 times)

Phil

Re: Commuting from Marple to Didsbury
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 07:05:43 PM »
I know this might seem daft, but have you considered cycling? I cycled daily (and still do but now but only twice a week) to Stockport and it only takes 25 mins, there is a cycle route from Stockport to Didsbury that will only take another 15-20 mins max. I also have a friend who cycled to Withington in 40 mins on a daily basis.
I was thinking the same but I'm sure at some point in the thread he stated he needed to use the car during the day.

Happens!

RH.

Victor M

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 05:43:06 PM »
I know this might seem daft, but have you considered cycling? I cycled daily (and still do but now but only twice a week) to Stockport and it only takes 25 mins, there is a cycle route from Stockport to Didsbury that will only take another 15-20 mins max. I also have a friend who cycled to Withington in 40 mins on a daily basis.

Henry_

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 02:43:50 PM »
I did the Marple to Didsbury commute for many years. Unfortunately you're having to battle through 2 of the worst traffic black spots in South Manchester - Marple -> M60 and the Parrs Wood / Kingsway Junction. Worst ever time was 1.5 hours but it's normally about an hour, which is terrible for the distance involved.

The advice to set off before 7 is very good. During school hols this does not apply in the mornings and commuting is a dream. For some reason this never applies to the route home in school hols - probably as all the school kids and their parents are out and about doing things.

In fact generally commuting back is bad from school kicking out time until 7pm, but this is not unique to Didsbury. And of course getting away early all depends on whether or not your job demands only standard hours. Getting in early is often no guarantee of leaving early!

In terms of areas to live, there are not really any bad ones in Marple. And unlike Didsbury you are also not in close proximity to the rougher areas of Manchester. It is easy to tell which areas are 'less desirable' in Marple due to the obvious discrepancies in house prices.

AMurray

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 11:08:06 AM »
Thanks. I think I would miss the rush hour in the morning by leaving just before 7am. It sounds like I should expect the drive home at 5pm to be fairly bad, around an hour duration.  On balance I think I'd prefer that in order to live in a better house in a nice place like Marple, rather than compromise on the house size massively by living in somewhere like Didsbury. I plan to come up and do a couple of dry runs to the office and can judge it for myself then as well.

At the risk of asking too much of you all, in terms of houses in Marple are there any areas to be avoided?

longtimenologin

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 10:47:21 AM »
I think it depends how much you mind commuting. Personally I would rather live in Marple than in Didsbury and not have to drive anywhere at the weekend (plus it is much cheaper). I prefer to commute in the week. I'm not sure that commuting is worse here than anywhere else in a big city.

marpleexile

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 04:45:50 PM »
The issue isn't so much getting into/out of Marple, as it is having to then/first go across or around Stockport. The whole of the Manchester conurbation has traffic issues at rush hour, but Stockport is usually virtually gridlocked.

ringi

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 04:29:23 PM »
I think when the new road opens Disley and Poynton will be better.  I expect that getting from the new road to Marple will be such an issue, that it will not speed up travel times much from Marple to Didsbury.

If you can afford it, consider living in Didsbury and driving to Marple at the weekend, the total time in the car will be a lot less.

Or find anther job.......

longtimenologin

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 03:13:47 PM »
Via the m60 to junction 1 then the a5145. There are then various shortcuts depending whereabouts you are working

AMurray

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 01:25:32 PM »
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate all the comments, and don't worry it's not putting us off moving to Marple!

The train / bus option isn't really viable for me as I need my car once I get to work most days.

It seems that the drive to work (leaving at 7am or just before) is absolutely fine, at about 35-40 minutes. Coming home, leaving at 5pm seems like it's on average about one hour, which clearly isn't great given it's only 10 miles away. I may be able to work around that, or potentially join the gym next to work (instead of the one in Marple), and delay the return drive to around 6pm where I assume it's a bit quieter.  I guess it's a matter of weighting up all the benefits of living in Marple (and I get the impression it's a great place to be), versus the commute. I can work at home one day a week, so it's only 4 drives home a week after all.

Is Marple particularly bad, or would I find other towns south of Manchester equally as bad - for example Wimslow, Disley, Poynton. Any other suggestions?

@ Older-and-wider > I'm not sure getting home to see the end of Pointless is a good thing   :D

@longtimenologin > Thanks for the info. Do you go onto the M60 on that route, or via the A5145 from Stockport to Didsbury?

@

corium

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 12:02:19 PM »
Depending on where you work in Didsbury there is also the option of getting the train to Reddish North and then the 42a/ 84(?) bus. Quicker than bussing it into Stockport & out again in the rush hour as it cuts out the Marple delays.

Dave

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 11:36:17 AM »
I sometimes have an 8.15 start in Didsbury. I leave home about 7.15 and I'm usually there about 8.00 or shortly afterwards.  As others have said, the return journey is more of a problem.

If your place of work is not too far from East Didsbury station, then don't rule out the train, which should take no more than an hour each way.

longtimenologin

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 11:03:46 AM »
Hello. I have commuted from Marple to Didsbury for years. I don't leave until 8ish in the morning and it takes about an hour (less in school holidays and the summer months). Coming home if I leave at 5 I am usually home by 6 (this is my usual time that I leave work). I usually go through Bredbury rather than Offerton in the evenings and via Offerton in the mornings. I would say that on average it  takes 50 minutes each way but can often take an hour at peak times. Occasionally accidents on the motorway etc mean it takes two hours. The summer months are much better than the winter months and the worse time of year is the run up to Christmas. Tuesday mornings are the worst morning of the week.

older-and-wider

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 09:36:34 AM »
To concur, I take advantage of my works flexi-hours by working 07:00-15:30 and the commute is bliss compared to when I was forced to work 9-5 at a previous work place. It seems a lot of people use 7am as the nod to leave the house, as anything before this is clear and anything after you are hitting queues. (This definitely worsens around 07:30 onwards when the Dan Bank lights queue will often stretch as far back as Cross Lane!) Coming back is a similar story… leaving work at 15:30 is brilliant and gets me home for 16:00, but if I leave work at 16:00 it can be nearer 17:00 when I get home, it makes that much difference.

For your working hours, I’d imagine you’d be OK leaving at 7am (I'd recommend 06:55 if you can neck yer porridge quicker) but it could be a long day because I can’t imagine you’d be home before 6pm if you leave at 5. On the lucky days, you might catch the end of Pointless... a word which suitably describes the act of spending unnecessary time sat in a car going at a snail's pace, almost but never quite home.

But yes, don’t let it put you off moving here! :) :P

hollins

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 09:17:11 AM »
It's two trains - Marple to Manchester, then Manchester to East Didsbury. Should be no worse than train + metro, because East Didsbury is on the airport line: fast (10 min) and regular trains at rush hour. If you get a monthly network card it will cost you exactly the same as Marple to Manchester alone does.

Both Stockport and Didsbury are appalling at 5pm in a car. If you could get to Stockport there is a good flat, well-surfaced cycle route along the Mersey towards Didsbury.

PhilB

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 08:21:31 AM »
I don't want to put you off Marple either! A great place to live ( you have obviously identified this!) Early start early finish is my advice.
Will we see a shift in traffic congestion, when the new airport link road opens? I am not sure!!