Myers Tree Care - Dedicated to Quality Tree Care

Call High Lane Garage for a polite, fast response on low mileage cars

Author Topic: Possibly relocating - advice on commuting  (Read 1337 times)

wheels

Re: Possibly relocating - advice on commuting
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 12:54:18 PM »
Marple to Stockport is blighted by only having one road in & out but it's only 4 miles and although slow, it will only take 1/2 hr. I tend to avoid the peak times and the commute can be just 20mins if I leave a after 8.45.

If I commute between 7 & 8.30 I tend to get the bike out.

This is worrying. I am either cycling or driving at the same time as Duke. Seriously he is totally correct in all he says above

Holly

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 02:23:26 PM »
Have to have the car for the job, so the only way I'd avoid traffic is if chose not to live in Marple or if I changed careers!
I could live with slow traffic to Stockport as long as it generally moves, and if its a short distance. Have previously had commutes where I'd find myself avoiding going home because the journey was so bad, but I don't think Marple is quite on that scale.

Dave

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 03:41:25 PM »
(Derbyshire is out as the closest local team is Buxton)

It's only about 30 minutes drive to Buxton, quite a pleasant route, and you would be going against the flow of most other commuters.  Given what others have correctly written about the traffic congestion between Marple and Stockport, Cheadle or Macclesfield, I wouldn't entirely rule Buxton out. 

alison

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 06:39:47 PM »
Not done the commute to Macc for a good few years, but when I did, I went via higher disley unless it was really icy. Really nice route, pretty quick, loved seeing the seasons change, but you do have to watch out for kamikaze sheep.

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 02:33:44 PM »
Marple to Macc via the Ridge and Higher Disley shouldn't take more than 40 minutes. I currently drive to Wilmslow (through Poynton) and that doesn't take more than 40 minutes and its stop / start for chunks of the route. My experience of the Macc Rd via Disley is that its a lovely free flowing thing - albeit very rural and naughty if the weather turns.

Leaving Marple by the back door (i.e. Windelhurst Road to the A6) is fine of a morning - the odd queue at the lights but generally nothing too bad. Beats the hell out of sturggling down Dan Bank. I don't think I could stand the slow commute to Stockport by car, given how quickly you can get there at other times of the day.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

Dizzy Penguin

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 02:58:19 PM »
Leaving Marple by the back door (i.e. Windelhurst Road to the A6) is fine of a morning - the odd queue at the lights but generally nothing too bad.

Ssssshhhh.... we want it to stay that way!

Umm actually people it's horrendous. Don't do it. Stick to Dan Bank.  ;) ;)

amazon

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 03:04:15 PM »
Ssssshhhh.... we want it to stay that way!

Umm actually people it's horrendous. Don't do it. Stick to Dan Bank.  ;) ;)
Maybe better when the new motorway gets done they've allready started near Brookside garden centre .....

Razzle24

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 03:53:53 PM »
Leaving Marple by the back door (i.e. Windelhurst Road to the A6) is fine of a morning - the odd queue at the lights but generally nothing too bad. Beats the hell out of sturggling down Dan Bank.

I go down Windlehust Road at 7.45 in the morning, and it is really busy as is going over the train track  to get to Poynton.  It will get a lot busier once the bypass opens :(

Holly

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 09:13:04 PM »
Well one of the benefits of the job is a degree of flexi time and the ability to organise my own diary, so whilst it would start off 8;30-5ish, there would be scope for adjustment. Its a bugger I need to use my car in work, would be so much nicer cycling!

woodmaz

• Furniture maker and woodland enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2015, 03:14:23 PM »
I'm alone in a 4-bed house in Marple Bridge, nice view, if you want to visit or lodge for a bit.  I agree with others that the best commute wd be to Macc, rather than Stockport.  I cycle/run a lot round here and it's a great base.
Maz 07973 385713
Maz